Gravel capable tyres - 28c

craigus89
craigus89 Posts: 887
edited October 2018 in Road buying advice
Currently restoring a couple of vintage steel road bikes for me and the Mrs to be used as short distance commuters, general pub bikes with occasional tow/canal path usage, looking for tyre recommendations that will cope with this. Preferably 28s.

They will mainly be for road use but would like to be able to use them off-road and have slightly better protection without compromising too much on weight and rolling resistance (looking at you Marathon's).

I see that the Panaracer Gravel King is highly recommended, just wondered if there was a slightly more budget friendly option? I've no experience with this type of tyre so open to suggestions.

Suggest Gator's and I'll put a curse on you.

Comments

• joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    Tubeless an option? If so then Hutchinson Sector 28's.
    If not then probably the Gravel Kings or Specialized Roubaix Pro's would be the best option.
  • Just a heads up to say that Panaracer are included in Merlin's current 10% automatic tyre discount when added to your basket, makes Gravel Kings ~£26.50 each.

I ordered some bits late last night when I was way beyond bedtime and I'm already wondering if I should have got a pair of these and perhaps a pair of the Gravel King SKs, not to mention I wonder if I should have bought a pair of Hutchinson All Season 11 Storms for ~£60 to try tubeless on my Hunt wheels.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • craigus89
    Not really looking to go tubeless as the wheels are old and I don't really want the faff. Would rather stick with clinchers.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Touring the other month the route I had in my Garmin took me along some gravel tracks for miles on a couple of occasions and along the canal bank. I had 28 Pirelli P Zero 4S on, haven’t noticed an unusual amount of cuts and had not punctures.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Just a heads up to say that Panaracer are included in Merlin's current 10% automatic tyre discount when added to your basket, makes Gravel Kings ~£26.50 each.

I think they are £26.00 at Sigma Sports. Not sure of any carriage costs....I may well buy them too !!

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Panara ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not tried them myself, but these would appear to fit the bill...

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG ... wired-tyre

Wired not folding, but at that price who cares?
  • craigus89
    Just to update this I've picked up some of the Panaracer Gravel Kings and used them on my winter/commuter.

They have replaced some Conti GP4K's that were being used as a stop gap, these seem to roll along nicely and feel a little less skittish on the rough and muddy lanes I ride to work each day. I'm a little suspicious of the 'gravel' label if I'm honest in terms of durability, but time will tell if they hold up against punctures etc.

So far I'm impressed though.