Vuelta 2018, Stage 13: Candás. Carreño > Valle de Sabero. La Camperona - 174,8 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited September 2018 in Pro race
Candás. Carreño > Valle de Sabero. La Camperona 07/09/2018 - Stage 13 - 174,8 km

At 174.8 kilometres, the 13th stage of the Vuelta a España is entirely played out in the Principality of Asturias. The riders tackle the Puerto de Tarna as an intermediate climb before the race ends at La Camperona, which is a closing climb of 8.8 kilometres at 6.5%. The last 2 kilometres are toughest as these are averaging 15%.

9cd0c

Only twice before La Camperona served as a summit finish in the Vuelta a España, yet its reputation is that of a classic Grand Tour mountain climb. The ascent lies in the centre of Asturias, about 100 kilometres from the wild coast of the Bay of Biscaye.
In 2014, Ryder Hesjedal climbed to victory at La Camperona. Two years ago Sergey Lagutin was the strongest rider of the early break, while Nairo Quintana took the red jersey that day.

7f8ae

Shortly after the start La Vuelta moves through Gijon and at kilometre 10 the riders tackle the first uphill stretches. A perfect place to initiate the breakaway.
Alto_la_Madera_Mareo_profile.jpg
At kilometre 39 a similar climb is crested. Following the descent a sheer endless false flat runs to the foot of the Puerto de Tarna, which is a 16.8 kilometres climb at 4.9%. The second half is averaging around 6%, so the first half is a lot easier.

tarna-senales-10.gif

Puerto%20de%20Tarna0.jpg

The Tarna is crested with almost 70 kilometres remaining. The riders fly down the mountain before the distance to the foot of the closing climb is as good as flat.

La Camperona amounts to 8.8 kilometres and the average gradient is 6.5%. It starts out quietly, yet in the village Olleros de Sabero the first ramps of horror appear. In this part of the ascent the riders face the steepest stretch of 25%, although that’s an exception in this section. Yet, two more kilometres up the mountain, in Sotillos de Sabero, the party really gets going when the riders turn right. The first kilometre rises at 10% and in the last 2.1 kilometres the route kicks it up a notch with an average gradient of 15%. The section from 2.1 kilometres to 800 metres before the line is 17% and then it ‘flattens out’. That is, the ultimate 800 metres on the mountain of horror are averaging 10%.

stage-13-la-camperona.jpg

1472123880_159293_1472124343_noticia_normal.jpg

Let’s be fair, that’s a Wall – the Wall of Camperona. Power management will be the key to success. In 2014 Alejandro Valverde jumped too early as he was eager to take the red jersey and lost time to his opponents.

Final kms.
stage-13-finish.jpg

3D Video. Hope the climb is half as dramatic as the music!
https://youtu.be/AI4CzghT3Cg?t=12

Favourites 13th stage 2018 Vuelta a España

*** Wilco Kelderman, Nairo Quintana, Miguel Ángel López, Simon Yates
** Alejandro Valverde, Thibaut Pinot, Rigoberto Uran
* Steven Kruijswijk, Ion Izagirre, Fabio Aru, Emanuel Buchmann, Breakaways Ben and Bauke.

Team hotels.
stage-13-hotel.jpg

Candás. Carreño
Unprecedented departure

10,636 inhabitants (Carreño)

Asturias Province

The green vegetation coming together with the blue sea, impressive cliffs bordering dreamy beaches… few images are more iconic in describing the Asturian landscape, and few municipalities represent is as well as Candás. This small fishing village, famous for its sardines, will host a La Vuelta departure for the first time and will, no doubt, accompany the peloton with the Principality of Asturias' characteristic passion for cycling.
On the shores of the Cantabrian Sea, just 15 km from Gijón, is the seaside town of Candás, capital of the Council of Carreño. With its 6820 inhabitants, Candás offers visitors the fruit of the labour of many generations of fishermen, who throughout the centuries have shaped the locality’s profoundly marine personality.

Candaspuerto.jpg

Candás grew at the foot of Santo Cristo de Candás (worshipped in the Church of Saint Felix since its discovery in Irish waters by local fishermen, in the 16th century), for whom the locality feels a profound devotion. The Open-Air Painting Museum, and the exhibit regarding the history of Candás’ Canning Industry, are reminiscent of the town’s marine character, as is its gastronomy: stew, “marañuela” and sardines, all intimately linked to the image of Candás.

sardinas-4-kuF-U40380223610RpH-624x385@El%20Comercio.jpg

Its port is not only tradition: it is also a magnificent place from which to practice sports fishing and other nautical activities, especially inclusive and accessible ones. The Vías Verdes (Green Routes) of El Tranquero and of the Strategic Railway are some of the council’s other touristic resources on offer to sports lovers.

Valle de Sabero. La Camperona
2 La Vuelta stages have had finales in La Camperona

1,184 inhabitants (Sabero)

León Province

The peloton returns to Castilla y León in order to face its old acquaintance: the Alto de La Camperona, in the Sabero Valley, that will welcome La Vuelta for the third time. This mountain pass allowed Nairo Quintana to wear the red jersey in 2016, the year in which he won La Vuelta. Likewise with Alberto Contador in 2014, who also won La Roja in this extremely difficult climb, before taking the highest spot on the podium at Santiago de Compostela, following his third La Vuelta win.
Sabero Valley has one of Castilla y León’s biggest tourist attractions: the Castilla y León Mining and Metalworks Museum, the Ferrería de San Blas (known as the “Iron Cathedral”) that hopes to be declared a World Heritage Site, due to the fact that it is a truly unique industrial complex in Europe.

1032733_1.jpg

The museum offers visitors, besides the region’s history of mining and metalworks, numerous temporary exhibits and a wide range of cultural activities, featuring the country’s best writers, researchers and historians.

The Esla River Rough Waters Canal hosts Regional, National and International competitions, as well as descents via rafts and canoes. The Cave of Valdelajo receives thousands of visitors each year that are amazed by the multiple geological shapes that can be seen in such a small space as well as by the extraordinary landscape that leads to it. The ancient mining steam engines display their splendour in public places and have attracted many tourists. The Hanging Bridge of Alejico, unique in the Province of León, maintains its original structure measuring 100 m long and continues to receive endless visits, year after year. It is also the arrival and departure point for the “Las Minas” Route.

MIRADOR_RUTA_LAS_MINAS.png
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Remember this from 2014 - it was not a good climb for Valverde.
  • archieboy
    archieboy Posts: 1,298
    Great preview as usuall, cheers Blazing.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    There are still a lot of riders in with at least a theoretical chance of a podium. Presumably, after today, there will be somewhat fewer. Who do people think will be in contention after this brutal stage?

Personally, I'm struggling to see beyond the Colombians. In fact, what price a clean sweep of the podium in Madrid for Colombian riders? I believe only Spain (obviously) and one other nation have managed that before. A virtual pat on the back to the first person to name the nation without resorting to google or Pro-Cycling stats.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Just had a glance at the rest of the race - the pattern seems to be lots of mountains, lots of mountain top finishes and significantly lots of very steep gradients. The riders that do well today should be the ones that pull away from the rest - Quintana to try and make his move you'd think.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    Personally, I'm struggling to see beyond the Colombians. In fact, what price a clean sweep of the podium in Madrid for Colombian riders? I believe only Spain (obviously) and one other nation have managed that before. A virtual pat on the back to the first person to name the nation without resorting to google or Pro-Cycling stats.

Well given the old position of the Vuelta in the calendar I'm thinking the obvious Italy or France isn't the answer, I seem to remember Belgium teams were often quite strong at the Vuelta so unlikely as it seems today let's try Belgium.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Bookie's favourites:

** Quintana, Yates, Lopez (all 7-9/1)
    * Woods, Majka, Fraile, Mollema (14-20/1)

(I like to reserve the *** for riders closer to 2/1)

I think Woods could go quite well on a finish like this.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    DeadCalm wrote:
    There are still a lot of riders in with at least a theoretical chance of a podium. Presumably, after today, there will be somewhat fewer. Who do people think will be in contention after this brutal stage?

I resorted. Wouldn’t have got there otherwise :)
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm wrote:

Well given the old position of the Vuelta in the calendar I'm thinking the obvious Italy or France isn't the answer, I seem to remember Belgium teams were often quite strong at the Vuelta so unlikely as it seems today let's try Belgium.
    Not Belgium. Nor Italy or France.

It's not an obvious nation until you know it and then it kind of is.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Switzerland? Zulle, Rominger and ???
  • Well, this is what you get with Cofidis in charge:

Gorka Izaguirre (Bahrain-Merida), Ben Gastauer (AG2R-La Mondiale), Joseph Rosskopf, Dylan Teuns (BMC Racing Team), Marcus Burghardt, Rafal Majka, Jay Mc Carthy (Bora-Hansgrohe), Sander Armee, Thomas De Gendt, Bjorg Lambrecht Maxime Monfort, Tosh Van Der Sande (Lotto Soudal), Imanol Erviti (Movistar), Laurens De Plus, Pieter Serry (Quick-Step Floors), Ben King, Merhawi Kudus (Dimension Data), Ilnur Zakarin, Jhonatan Restrepo (Katusha Alpecin), Sergio Henao (Team Sky), Jai Hindley (Team Sunweb), Bauke Mollema, Nicola Conci, Fabio Felline (Trek-Segafredo), Edward Ravasi (UAE Team Emirates), Jetse Bol (Burgos-BH), Alex Aranburu, Cristian Rodriguez (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA), Luis Angel Mate (Cofidis), Eduard Prades, Garikoitz Bravo and Oscar Rodriguez (Euskadi-Murias) Ivan Garcia Cortina (Bahrain-Merida), Jesus Ezquerra (Burgos-BH) and Antonio Molina (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) are 5 minutes ahead of remaining peloton.
  • Ben King now in the virtual red.

That should get MS and Movistar interested, but with that group away, no guarantee the peloton is much stronger.
  • Switzerland? Zulle, Rominger and ???

I wouldn't have got the third one without google.
  • First really exciting mountain stage and I'm stuck at work with no ability to watch Eurosport.

I'm counting on all you lovely spoiler thread regulars to keep the updates coming... :mrgreen:
  • Ben King now in the virtual red.

That should get MS and Movistar interested, but with that group away, no guarantee the peloton is much stronger.

7 minutes down on GC but not so far down on the realistic challengers - might suit Movistar to let King take red but not by too much.
  • DeadCalm
    Switzerland? Zulle, Rominger and ???

I wouldn't have got the third one without google.
    Yep. 1996. The race was also notable for being Indurain's last. Top Spanish rider was 10th. Probably Spain's worst Vuelta ever.

I had to go back to remind myself of the third rider's name. Laurent Dufaux. Apparently, a two time winner of the Dauphiné but that was at a time when my interest was strictly limited to the Grand Tours.
    Team My Man 2022:

• bobmcstuff
    That break is massive. And committed.

58km, 6 mins.
  • I really must make the effort to visit the Picos.
    Stunning.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I really must make the effort to visit the Picos.
    Stunning.

I can recommend it.... Yes, beautiful. I did a kayak race which started from near to Cavadonga
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • I really must make the effort to visit the Picos.
    Stunning.

This is true - it looks amazing.
  • 21km, 4'30
  • I do enjoy the Flecha recons when they make him ride up a wall and talk at the same time.
  • will the sprinters walk up the steep bits or get swept up by the broom wagon. I hope they have a generous cut-off.
  • bobmcstuff
    Made the decision to go home rather than stick around in the office to watch the end. Will certainly miss the end thanks to Northern...
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    O-Rod doing a J-Rod
  • This is cruel!
  • Valverde looking OK for now - is that Pinot getting dropped? I'm watching with no sound
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,571
    Lopez mechanical
  • Rodriguez wins - Yates and Quintana ahead of the rest now.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    quintana grabs a few seconds on yates
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,571
    Lopez made a good comeback.