Factory visit and purchase: DREAM chance

Icabod14
Icabod14 Posts: 12
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
I am in an enviable position far outside my income bracket that allows me to visit a European bike factory and purchase a bike, bringing it back to my location duty free. My options are Germany and Italy, but Switzerland is also possible.

Any thoughts? I am leaning towards Canyon in GER, but there are so many option in Italy. The only thing I cannot confirm is if Italian companies have factory showrooms, similar to what Canyon has in Koblensk. Any experience out there?

I am in the Balkans and there are no shops, and no one will deliver to my location. That is why I am considering this option.

Comments

• Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    I'd be heading to Legend in Italy if money were no object. Don't go Canyon, everybody and his brother has one. My mate had two. 1 snapped in a crash and the other arrived with faulty shifters which really shouldn't happen on a 4k bike.
  • Colnago, obviously.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Colnago would be nice. Pinarello even better ;-)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    Colnago would be nice. Pinarello even better ;-)
    And Passoni raises the bar higher.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Colnago. I’m slightly biased, but the workshop and show room is supposed to be well worth a visit.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • PlanetX has a showroom
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Canyon are good value for money but what is your budget ?
    Sounds an interesting offer anyway.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    BMC is a possibility if you are able to add Switzerland to the options

https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/about/

On the growing list of Italian brands there's also Bianchi although as with many other manufacturers their frames are made in the Far East.

For a bike where the frame is still reputedly fabricated in Italy you could consider Ciocc

https://ciocc.it/shop?lang=en
  • My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Icabod14 wrote:
    I am in an enviable position far outside my income bracket that allows me to visit a European bike factory and purchase a bike, bringing it back to my location duty free.

Put us out of our misery as to what turn of good fate lies behind this opportunity.
  • PlanetX has a showroom

Colnago, Pinarello, BMC. Mmmmmm let me think. No, I'll go for the Planet X
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    rdt wrote:
    Icabod14 wrote:
    I am in an enviable position far outside my income bracket that allows me to visit a European bike factory and purchase a bike, bringing it back to my location duty free.

Put us out of our misery as to what turn of good fate lies behind this opportunity.

Politicians, money laundering and diplomatic baggage - it's the only explanation...
  • Or visit the factory and while you're there make your own frame:

https://www.reillycycleworks.com/pages/frame-school
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    hartnell.gif
  • PlanetX has a showroom

I suppose South Yorkshire wasn't on his list.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • PlanetX has a showroom

lol. I'm hoping it was tongue in cheek.
  • Some people don't read too well. He's in the Balkans therefore South Yorkshire or Brighton are unlikely to be of much use. Germany, Italy or Switzerland were in the brief. I'd much rather have a boutique Italian than a common or garden German bike.
  • PlanetX has a showroom

Indeed it was. I've ridden bikes for about 50 years and have owned more than I could count. The Planet X Pro carbon I rode about 10 years was without doubt the worst bike I've ever ridden. But some people like them and as long as they're happy.
  • PlanetX has a showroom

Indeed it was. I've ridden bikes for about 50 years and have owned more than I could count. The Planet X Pro carbon I rode about 10 years was without doubt the worst bike I've ever ridden. But some people like them and as long as they're happy.

I was referring to the original comment. Ironic post hopefully. Iv'e never had a PX bike personally but I know people who have and they always seem to change them quite quickly.
  • Canyon? Lol

I'm being treated to a meal out tonight, anywhere I like the Mrs is paying for it all. It's great because I'm a bit of a foodie so really looking forward to it.

I'm thinking KFC.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

I'd be interested to know more about the specifics of why it was the 'worst bike' you've ever ridden? And if you could do that without mentioning your '50 years experience' again, that would be great... :)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Imposter wrote:

I'd be interested to know more about the specifics of why it was the 'worst bike' you've ever ridden? And if you could do that without mentioning your '50 years experience' again, that would be great... :)

I know plebs wouldnt understand the how hi end sh it like Pinas totally outride working class sh it like PXs.
    I'm bringing class into it as well as age , PP you are a condescending tw at.
    We have had threads recently as to how sexist and macho cycling was, is and seemingly always to be, but this real idiotic snobbery does also top the list.
  • It's funny how these "great bikes to ride" like those Colnago and whatnot which are supposed to be a different breed are never seen in long distance cycling.
    If they are such great bikes, you would expect them to be the first choice for anyone who needs to spend more than the customary couple of hours on the saddle.

On the other hand, I regularly see a lot of Planet X, Dolan, Ribble, Genesis...

My suspicion is that all these bike connoisseurs, who can tell their De Rosa from their Pegoretti, in reality rarely ride their bike... the clue is in the fact that they always look brand new :-)
    left the forum March 2023
  • I saw two Colnagos in the last audax I did.
  • Bondurant wrote:
    I saw two Colnagos in the last audax I did.

Club riders
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    PlanetX has a showroom

I'd take a planet x over a Pinarello every day of the week. :D
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • More relevant to the OP... do these companies actually offer "tours" and if they do, do they involve flying to Taipei?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    It's a little sad that this has descending into the relative merits of boutique brands vs cheap factory built brands.
    In answer to Ops question:

http://festka.com/
  • letap73 wrote:
    It's a little sad that this has descending into the relative merits of boutique brands vs cheap factory built brands.
    In answer to Ops question:

http://festka.com/

Is there any thread about "what bike?" that doesn't descend into boutique Vs budget?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Agreed, however, I am just disappointed that the discussion becomes binary and very rarely respects both boutique and budget options.