Changing Freehub in Fulcrum Wheel

kuba2
kuba2 Posts: 5
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hello

I have small but substantial problem with my fulcrum freehub removal.

My goal is to put a shimano freehub in the wheel. There was a campagnolo freehub on it. I removed everything, but there is the ring with the "teeth" for the freehub. It is screwd in the hub and I have to change it, because the shimano "teeth" ring has a wider diameter.

Now, how can I remove that thing? Is there a key for it or something?
It is hard to get a grip on the flat side of the teeth....

Pleas see the images: Hub with the campa ring, The new shimano Freehub

Thanks for any suggestions

Jakob

Campagnolo "teeth" ring
campa.JPG

New Shimano freehub
shimano.JPG

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I did the opposite of this on a Fulcrum Racing Quattro rear wheel - took out the Shimano freehub and replaced with a Campagnolo freehub.

It was a straight swap, the Campagnolo one sitting within the same ratchet as the Shimano. Have you tried simply fitting the Shimano with the existing ratchet/teeth?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kuba2
    The shimano freehub is wider than the campagnolo. Doesn‘t fit!
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    You can buy ratchet ring removers which fit into the teeth and then you put into a vice, using the whole wheel as a lever - like a remover for a screw-on freewheel. They are expensive - around £60 from places like SJS and Cycle Clinic - and I don’t know if you need a specific Campag one. Easiest option is to take it to a bike shop for them to do it for you.
  • kuba2
    Thanks!
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    You’ll need a ratchet ring remover. If it’s anything like a dt Swiss hub you’ll need a very steady vice. If it’s been in a while you’ll need muscles like coconuts too.

:)
  • kuba2
    I did the sensible thing and bought a freehub, that fits the ring. Removing a ring like that is a tricky thing.