Campag cassette with Shimano groupset

ribbo
ribbo Posts: 35
edited August 2018 in Workshop
Hi all

Spotted a good deal on a set of wheels but they have a campag freehub.

If I fitted, for example, the cassette below would it work with Shimano ultegra? Would anything need to be changed, the chain for example?

Cheers

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-primato-1 ... ampagnolo/

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Which wheels are they, you can change the freehub body then just buy shimano cassettes forever.
  • ribbo
    mfin wrote:
    Which wheels are they, you can change the freehub body then just buy shimano cassettes forever.

Zipp 404s. I read that it is a bit of a faff to change the freehub body and was wondering if this would be an easier solution. Would happily be told otherwise though!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    If you're talking 11spd, then the sprocket spacing is the same anyway...
  • ribbo
    Imposter wrote:

I am talking 11spd; that's pretty much what I wanted to check. Forgive my ignorance, if the spacing is the same it should work?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    the sprocket spacing is not the same. Its close but the difference do affect how crisp the shift is as as cable wear that only gets worse. Also campag sprocket spacing actually changes depending ont he ratios.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • imposter2.0
    the sprocket spacing is not the same. Its close but the difference do affect how crisp the shift is as as cable wear that only gets worse. Also campag sprocket spacing actually changes depending ont he ratios.

Not sure how accurate any of that is. But this piece from Leonard Zinn would appear to contradict you..

https://www.velonews.com/2013/09/bikes- ... ght_303199
  • imposter2.0
    Ribbo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I am talking 11spd; that's pretty much what I wanted to check. Forgive my ignorance, if the spacing is the same it should work?

The spacing is the same - or at least near enough for it to be perfectly functional without any major issues..
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Ribbo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

If it's 11 speed just buy a Campagnolo 11 speed cassette then.
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    I’ve been running a Campag 11 speed cassette on an otherwise Shimano setup after I got a new bike and swapped my better existing wheels over. It works fine - quiet, good changes etc. However, starting from scratch I would factor in the higher cost of Campag cassettes before deciding to buy Campag freehub wheels.
  • cycleclinic
    I have this from campagnolo themsleves. Are you saying campagnolo are wrong?

From my own expereince a campag cassette with a shimano drivetrain shifts acceptably but not a cleanly as with a campagnolo drivetrain.

The spacing differences are small though but it is perceptable for the fastidious. those who are not fastidious need not worry but those that like perfection won't like the compromise. That is the reality. I have run an SRAM red 11-26T cassette (shimano spacing) with 2014 SR groupset and took it off as it was never quite right. It shifted but hesitant sometimes and a little clunkly. With a chrous 12-27T cassette the shifting was perfect and smooth. the bikes in pieces now as the frame has been resprayed.

I am a mechanic, I do this for a living and I take technical details seriously. I dont read blogs to get my info, I get it straight from the manufacturers. This sadly is the problem with the web. Talk to those who make the goods and Campagnolo are forth coming with technical information when they are asked.

It sad when people think people in business don't know what they are talking about. That shows the state of the industry and the disruption the web has caused to everything. Far from informing us , the web has disinformed us which is why i am now very careful where I get my information from.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The spacing on an 11 speed Shimano cassette is constant between sprockets throughout the range (i.e.from 25 to 11 or whatever). The spacing on Campag 11speed cassettes varies as you move along the cassette from one end to the other.

In the real world the differences are small enough that shifting is likely to be acceptable. The other thing to consider is that Campag cassettes are much more expensive than Shimano/SRAM so the cost of a Shimano freehub would likely pay for itself over the lifetime of the wheel.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • imposter2.0
    I dont read blogs to get my info, I get it straight from the manufacturers.

That's funny, because mostly I'm the opposite. Ironically, the point that I think we're all making us that it works, but the 'fastidious' will not be completely happy - which is pretty much what it says in that link I posted, so I'm not sure what your sanctimonious rant is all about...
  • cycleclinic
    campagnolo variable spacing was introduced into the the 10 speed groupsets, its been around for a while.

Learnard Zinn is not wrong when he says the mix and match approach works and shifts acceptably is what he said. Shifts are not missed, I never said that was the case it just that it is not how shimano or campagnolo intend. What is lost here is nuance and what leoanard Zinn has written and what I have are both true. It's just that details seperate the two.
    Never assume.

Now its up to the OP to decide if the compromise is worth it. Given a 105 cassette is cheap and a centaur 11 speed is not and if the OP chooses a Chorus cassette then definatley is not cheap then that should make up his/her mind.
  • cycleclinic
    There is no issue. it just it was posted that what I said and what the blog say are contradictory. they are not. I am just trying to make things crystal clear so there is no misunderstanding. I am not offended in any way so there is no issue here. not sure why you would assume that imposter.

As for it works acceptably you have to define acceptable first, that was not done in this thread.
  • imposter2.0
    Happy to concede that 'contradict' was probably the wrong word - I think the point we're all making is that it works, but it's not perfect. But in that sense, 99% of riders probably won't notice..
  • ribbo
    Thanks very much for all the input, much appreciated!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    I have zipp 303s and can tell you the freehub is dead easy to swap.

Only downside is Shimano freehubs are invariably double the price of campag ones.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I’m running an 11 speed Shimano cassette with a 11 speed 2017 Campagnolo groupset. Shifts perfectly so I assume it’ll work the other way too.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I've got a Campag cassette on my trainer wheel (rest of the groupset is Force 22) as I happened to have an old Campag wheel kicking around. I can tell that the shifting isn't perfect, I guess that makes me the fastidious 1%.