Shoulder Surgery

blokie13
blokie13 Posts: 93
Just got referred by my sports Dr to a shoulder surgeon :-(

I injured my shoulder on a ride in December last year - didn't crash or have any kind of off, just got home from a ride at Sherwood Pines with Steve S and it was aching!

Had numerous physio sessions which worked to some degree then plateaued, so physio suggested I go down the steroid injection route.

I've now had 4 x steroid injections and it's simply not recovering, so he's referring me to a shoulder surgeon for a likely Subacromial Decompression (surgery to remove some of the bone and tissue in the shoulder to create space for joint movement).

Got an appointment with my GP for the "official" referral on 31st July, so fingers crossed the waiting times to a) see the consultant and b) for subsequent surgery are not too long, as I've already basically had to write off the entire year :-(

Not been on a bike since February (tried a couple of rides whilst having physio, but it was definitely not a good idea so stopped completely after a Dolby red route ride in late Feb). Only used the Full Susser I got between Christmas and New Year 3 times :-(
Boardman Pro FS 650b | Boardman Team 29er HT | Specialized Tricross Sport

Comments

• paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    I had the same think, but with a rotator cuff tear too. 6 weeks immobile, 3 months rehab before able to ride, about a year for complete recovery.

good news is that is almost back good as new.

more good news is that you can ride a turbo quite soon after, as soon as you can climb on and off with one arm.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Deep sympathy, you must be more than a bit worried about the prospect of going under the knife. :(

I have had multiple shoulder injuries. I always seemed to fall off on to my right side until I was told that one more injury like that and it would be really serious! Now I only seem to fall off on my left side, except when I go OTB of course!

Have you thought of consulting a different physio, like mine for example?
  • blokie13
    Thanks gents. Just hope the wait to see the surgeon and then have the op isn't too long - just want to get it done now!

Steve - if you could email me over your Physio's details that would be great :-)
  • steve_sordy
    Blokie13 wrote:
    Thanks gents. Just hope the wait to see the surgeon and then have the op isn't too long - just want to get it done now!

Steve - if you could email me over your Physio's details that would be great :-)

Done: You could ask the physio to write a report on what he/she has found.
  • Thought I'd give an update on this on almost exactly the 1 year anniversary of the original injury....

Since the update above in July I have had 3 further steroid injections (including a guided injection into the AC joint under ultrasound) and regular physio sessions via the hospital and basically it's not improved by any real measure :-(

Saw the shoulder consultant again yesterday and he has agreed that I need surgery, so now on the waiting list for AC joint excavation surgery. Should hopefully be keyhole (unless it's worse than feared when they get in there) with an initial 3 month recovery period before any meaningful use of the shoulder and ~12 months for a full recovery, with a ~80% chance of it being fully successful.

So potentially another 12 months out of the saddle :-(
  • paulwood
    Good luck. Hopefully just 3 months off and then back riding carefully once you have enough shoulder mobility to reach different bar positions and the brake lever.
  • steve_sordy
    What an absolute bummer!

All that and still only an 80% chance of success! :(

After your op, you will be given an appointment with an NHS physio. But you will be lucky to get to see one for at least six weeks, and maybe longer, as they are in short supply. By all means make the appointment, but go see your own physio asap. He/she can start you on the healing process sooner.

You have probably realised by know that this is serious and that this is your one chance to get this fixed so that you can get on with the rest of your life (and get back to biking).
    Therefore do everything that your physio tells you!

You know it makes sense! :D

Healing vibes! :D
  • Thanks Guys.

Will definitely be doing everything advised to the letter, as it's far more life affecting that "just" riding as I've found out over the last year. Fortunately I have a desk job so have at least been able to work full time.
  • blokie13
    Finally got my surgery date through yesterday - Thursday 4th April, so only 2 weeks to wait now!
  • blokie13
    Finally got the OK to go back on the bike exactly 3 months post the surgery. Headed to Sherwood Pines yesterday evening for a loop of the blue and was feeling good at the end so sessioned the first 2 parts of the red a couple of times before calling it a night.

Pleased to report no ill effects today (well, nothing specific to that shoulder - generally quite achey after 18 months off the bike!).

Key now is to not get too carried away and try to do too much too soon and set back the recovery....

Felt rather liberating to be out there again after so long though :-)
  • paulwood
    Glad you are back. Keep doing the mobility exercises
  • steve_sordy
    More than a year off the bike would have done my head in! You must have felt absolutely great when you got back on and found that you could still do it and without pain this time! Yeyyyy! :lol:

You have my number, give me a call when you want a turn round Pines. No pressure, I'll follow you.