Changing from Shimano To Campag Freehub on RS501 Wheel

Broono83
Broono83 Posts: 75
edited July 2018 in Workshop
Hi,

Bike needs a lot of work and parts so trying to keep cost down where possible. I need a new rear wheel, braking surface on its Reparto Corse wheel is toast, I believe the freehub to be OK. This is a campag veloce 10 speed setup

I have a brand new wheel, a shimano RS-501 with Sora 9 speed on it (I think! - this was a hand me down from a mate).

Can I strip the shimano freehub off the new 501 wheel and replace it with the used campag freehub from the damaged wheel? If so is this straightforward?

I have a reasonable set of tools including lockring tools for shimano and campag but I have no experience of fettling wheels at all.

Thanks

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    You have tools but do not understand Shimano make freehubs for there wheels only and why would they make a Campagnolo freehub. They don'tmake a Campagnolo freehub. So you need a new wheel.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Broono83
    Broono83 Posts: 75
    OK, kind of expected. I do struggle with wheel terminology. Can I not replace the entire "centre" of the wheel, the freehub and body? But I would need to respoke it? Is there somewhere I can read up on this sort of thing, I've been through Park tools?

I guess another the option is an ambrosio cassette shimano fit but campag spacing, they seem to be about 30 quid?