TDF 2018, Stage 4: La Baule > Sarzeau 10/07/2018 - 195 km *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
edited July 2018 in Pro race
La Baule > Sarzeau 10/07/2018 - Stage 4 - 195 km

In the 4th stage of the Tour de France the route runs from La Baule to Sarzeau, both located on Brittany’s south-coast. The 195 kilometres course is rolling, as is typical of the Breton landscape, while the race ends on a false flat. Talking about the finish, Sarzeau offers a 4 kilometres finishing as straight as a line.

stage-4-route.jpg?01

stage-4-profile.jpg?22

Arrival place Sarzeau makes its first appearance on the Tour de France. It is likely that the race will see a royal bunch sprint, as the last 4 kilometres are played out on a sheer endless straight, while the final 2 kilometres feature a number of false flat sections. Firstly 200 metres at 3%, then from 1.2 kilometres to 600 meter before the line a stretch at 2%, while the last 300 metres are false flat, too.

Video of the last 5kms:-
https://youtu.be/UwZiMj3BxJA

stage-4-finish.jpg?03

stage-4-5km.jpg?03

Is it a coincidence that Sarzeau is debuting in this year’s Tour? Not really. The new president of the UCI, David Lappartient, is the town’s mayor.

The departure place is not unfamiliar with la Grande Boucle, although its appearances were a while ago. In 1972, the 2nd stage arrived in La Baule with Rik Van Linden taking the win, while the race visited the town in 1988 also. That last visit was unofficial though, as La Grande Boucle started with prelude, which was a combination of an ITT and TTT and the recorded times were not used for the rest of the race. Yet, the fastest cyclist did wear the yellow jersey the next day. Guido Bontempi, currently sports director at Astana, took the credits.

Favourites 4th stage 2018 Tour de France
*** Arnaud Démare, Fernando Gaviria, Peter Sagan, Michael Matthews
** Dylan Groenewegen, André Greipel, John Degenkolb, Sonny Colbrelli
* Alexander Kristoff, Marcel Kittel, Mark Cavendish, Magnus Cort Nielsen

The team hotels for this stage:-

stage-4-hotel.jpg?01

La Baule

3 previous stages

16,000 inhabitants (Baulois)

72,500 inhabitants in the 15 communes of the community of Agglomération Cap Atlantique

The eight-kilometre beach that surrounds the summer resort is considered as one of the nicest in Europe. It already attracted tourists at the end of the 19th century but had to wait until 1965 to welcome the riders of the Tour with a sprint finish won by Guido Reybroeck.

la-baule-jogging_reference.jpg

In 1988, it was in La Baule that the very first Village of the Tour was set up. Sadly this innovation was rapidly blown away by a big storm. It was again a sprinter, Italian Guido Bontempi, who won the curtain-raiser dubbed “prelude" that year. Unlike the Village Depart, the opener was a one-off experiment. The other stage finish in La Baule in 1972 rewarded the sprinting talent or Rik Van Linden, who clinched the first of his four stage victories on the Tour. He won three more in 1975 to conquer the green jersey.

chevaux-vacances.jpg

Specialties: The salt crusted sea bass of Guérande, a great French specialty, a sea bass coated with Guérande salt.

sof-169542.jpg

Chocolatier Christophe Roussel and his sweet specialties including macaroon. The Fondant baulois: a unique and irresistible chocolate mixed with salted caramel.

67742624.jpg

Sarzeau

8,020 inhabitants (Sarzeautins)

The Tour de France regularly visits Brittany and all the splendid places it has to offer, but it has never organised the finish of one of its stages at the heart of the Golfe du Morbihan. It’ll be the case in 2018, in Sarzeau where passion for cycling is even more shared here then elsewhere in the region.
In 2017, the town of Sarzeau launched a call for applications to revive viticulture, which was once a major agricultural production of the city and the Gulf of Rhuys. The municipality purchased 10 hectares of farmland to kickstart the activity, hoping to start producing wine in five years. Wine production, flourishing until the phylloxera crisis and the prohibition of the local grape, the noah, had ceased completely in 1993.
The oldest parts of the port were built around 1910. The main dike was extended in 1955 and has a small lighthouse; it was moved in 1988 during the last expansion. It has until recently hosted a small fishing fleet. This port is dominated by old villages where some old fishermen's houses testify to the traditional habitat of Morbihan.

697768_sarzeau.jpg

The beaches of Sarzeau are as varied as they are pleasant. The most popular is Penvins Beach, overlooked by the Notre Dame de la Côte Chapel. It is an exceptional spot for kite surfing and a favourite area for kite enthusiasts. It also has a school for sailing, kite surfing and stand-up paddle. Suscinio Bay stretches for 3 km from Beglan Beach to Penvins Point. A coastal path overlooking the beach leads to the small chapel of Penvins. Protected from the winds thanks to the Beglan cove, the Suscinio beach offers an exceptional panorama.

full_Plage-de-Saint-Jacques.jpg

Gochtial of Saint-Armel

The gochtial comes from the Breton name gwestall, which means cake, but it is not really one. Halfway between a big loaf of bread and brioche, it is one of the most famous specialties on the Rhuys peninsula. While gochtial can be found everywhere in the area, it is the village of Saint-Armel, 8 km of Sarzeau, which claims paternity. It is rumoured, however, that it was invented in the nineteenth century two kilometres further up, in Hezo, where the inhabitants brought cakes made at home to cook in the baker's oven on Saint Vincent's day, January 22. Since then, gotchal is eaten all year round, especially at “Le Moulin à Café", the bakery of Saint-Armel jealously keeping its recipe.

Gochtial-ALamoureux-Miramar-La-Cigale.jpg
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

chevaux-vacances.jpg

Ahhhhhhh, they're tired. At least I hope they're just tired...?
    Chocolatier Christophe Roussel and his sweet specialties including macaroon. The Fondant baulois: a unique and irresistible chocolate mixed with salted caramel.

67742624.jpg

WANT!

Obligatory cow picture.

637db0e4d30c905890e4f3f7cce51386.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Those horses saw the stage profile then?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    At the risk of being labelled some rambunctious Brexitier Yahoo (their numbers decrease...) I'm going to suggest, if bored, that people can watch the really rather wonderful film made by that Jeremy Clarkson (hence the yahoo accusation) about the Second World War commando Raid on Saint Nazaire - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXusKM5uX0s - Fair play to the big man, he knocks it out of the park here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • above_the_cows
    There isn't even going to be a chance of crosswinds tomorrow according to the weather forecast.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    About the most interesting thing about this course is that they've used the route for the support vehicles to help draw a chicken wearing massive boots.
  • above_the_cows
    About the most interesting thing about this course is that they've used the route for the support vehicles to help draw a chicken wearing massive boots.

I can't not see that now! :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited July 2018
    Is it a coincidence that Sarzeau is debuting in this year’s Tour? Not really. The new president of the UCI, David Lappartient, is the town’s mayor.
    A detail you overlooked for stage 3 is that the mayor of Cholet is Christian Prudhomme's brother-in-law.

The mayor of the stage 5 town is probably Thomas Voeckler's cat.

chevaux-vacances.jpg

Ahhhhhhh, they're tired. At least I hope they're just tired...?
    Unfortunately that just reminds me of the Dunkirk scene from the film Atonement
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    Delete
  • above_the_cows
    I see Sky are in a Best Western again. They've got conference facilities for Dave and Tim's team briefing. Pro-cycling folks, it's a hell of a life!

93811_032_meetingroom.jpg?sfvrsn=0
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    That's another hotel with strange decoration for Sky. Those wall paintings!
  • RichN95.
    I'm constantly amazed at the hotels they make them stay at. I know there may not be better options, but these are worse than the sort of hotels we turned down when I played in European hockey tournaments. Even the vets teams wouldn't be offered this.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,205
    So... long straight slightly uphill drag for the finish. One for the big sprint trains. Except Quickstep may be a tiny bit knackered after the TTT. Others may have kept a little more in the tank. I'm boldly predicting "Not Gaviria" tomorrow. Both the Lottos were over a minute down, Soudal nearly two. A day for The Gorilla maybe? Wheelsurfers that can do it without a leadout ay also apply - so Sagan or Cavendish (if he's got any form at all) could be in the mix.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    Apparently later this week there's a storm coming that will bring to an end the heatwave we have been enjoying and a lot of people's happiness. Meteorologists have called this storm Chris.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/u ... n-12885379
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    So... long straight slightly uphill drag for the finish. One for the big sprint trains. Except Quickstep may be a tiny bit knackered after the TTT. Others may have kept a little more in the tank. I'm boldly predicting "Not Gaviria" tomorrow. Both the Lottos were over a minute down, Soudal nearly two. A day for The Gorilla maybe? Wheelsurfers that can do it without a leadout ay also apply - so Sagan or Cavendish (if he's got any form at all) could be in the mix.

A good call I think, Sagan was hard to read yesterday, was he tired or was he just hanging back saving energy for stages where he can actually have a chance?

Groenewagen i have a feeling may get his tour campaign started today.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I'm wondering whether Sky specifically choose hotels which are not going to be used by other teams, or whether their entourage is so big that no other team could fit into the hotel?
  • RichN95.
    Milton50 wrote:
    I'm wondering whether Sky specifically choose hotels which are not going to be used by other teams, or whether their entourage is so big that no other team could fit into the hotel?
    They don't choose. ASO do. And they try to make sure that the average quality of the hotels is about the same for each team over the three weeks.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,221
    Not sure I agree with the star ratings. This finish looks far more suited to the out-and-out bunch sprint experts over the likes of Sagan and Matthews. I also find the description of a 2% road as a false flat strange as pretty much every road has a gradient of at least 1% or it won't drain. Even 3% for a few hundred metres on a run in will barely register. Shame there's no wind forecast as it could have made the final section interesting if a few teams had decided to try to rip it up.

By the way, I love bass baked in salt (as long as it's from a decent fish restaurant where they get all the bones out for you!).
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Milton50 wrote:

The cynic in me says the fix is in for Ag2r. So far they have had very ordinary hotels, but as soon as the race hits the hills, they get this, all to themselves.

http://www.palacedementhon.com/en/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    I'm also wondering if the hotels ASO have picked for Sky are to do with providing security.
  • Maybe the odd Fortuneo rider in the break today !

No LOOK though

DZFLKCDW0AA148W.jpg
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    Does anyone know what TVG would need to do to get the yellow jersey today? Is it finish X places in front of GVA or is it nab some green jersey points?

I know he won't be trying.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Limerzel for 3, 2, or 1 of those bonus seconds, then finish with the bunch so long as there are no time gaps would be the most likely way.

But as you say, not vlikely!
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,605
    You'd imagine it's on stage placings. I saw TJVG jumped from about 70-odd in GC so you would imagine he has been finishing in the bunch when GVA has been up near the finish.

More likely (but still unlikely) is that he sneaks a second at the bonus sprint like G did the other day.

If the MJ changes again today it will be 4 in 4 days, what is the record?
  • RichN95.
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Does anyone know what TVG would need to do to get the yellow jersey today? Is it finish X places in front of GVA or is it nab some green jersey points?

Points don't play any part in it. It's purely on adding stage positions together.

So far - van Avermaet: 24+15=39, van Garderen 55+52=107. So, assuming no time differences or bonuses, van Garderen would have to finish 68 places ahead of van Avermaet.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    RichN95 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Points don't play any part in it. It's purely on adding stage positions together.

So far - van Avermaet: 24+15=39, van Garderen 55+52=107. So, assuming no time differences or bonuses, van Garderen would have to finish 68 places ahead of van Avermaet.

Thanks. That's what I thought, but then I started wondering if green jersey points trumped it. Anyway, good analysis.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Break goes away and should have some interesting banter. Two French, two Belgian. Are they just trying to get home quick for the best seats for the semi-final?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Break goes away and should have some interesting banter. Two French, two Belgian. Are they just trying to get home quick for the best seats for the semi-final?

As a long term English sufferer, I can assure them the best seats are behind the sofa.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    RichN95 wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    They don't choose. ASO do. And they try to make sure that the average quality of the hotels is about the same for each team over the three weeks.

Aah ok. Thanks.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

As a long term English sufferer, I can assure them the best seats are behind the sofa.

Daleks and penalties. The twin terrors of the English psyche.
  • Break goes away and should have some interesting banter. Two French, two Belgian. Are they just trying to get home quick for the best seats for the semi-final?

No Fortuneo !