TDF 2018, Stage 1: Noirmoutier-en-l'Île > Fontenay-le-Comte 07/07/2018 - 201 km *Spoilers*

12346»

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    I didn't see the race. What happened to Sky? 21st in the team competition. Thomas the only Sky rider to make it with the leading group. Froome on his own in the Porte / Yates group.Did they all get caught behind crashes, work super hard for Froome and then sit up, or what?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    edited July 2018
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I didn't see the race. What happened to Sky? 21st in the team competition. Thomas the only Sky rider to make it with the leading group. Froome on his own in the Porte / Yates group.Did they all get caught behind crashes, work super hard for Froome and then sit up, or what?

Good question, Is that Kwia dodging him in the screenshot above? Did the Bernal crash split Sky up and leave Froome without any protection, leading to the second accident? Would be interesting to see it picked apart.

(eta - to dodge my own question, of course it isn't Kwia - he's not Polish champ, is he? mea culpa - in which case it looks like Froome was totally isolated and moving up alone. Suggestive.)
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Bernal random crash.

FROOME touched a wheel and unluckily went flying.

Team waited for Froome except G as it's joint leadership
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Bernal random crash.

Not sure this is true though, as why would they end up split up behind Froome in that scenario? Sure, they might have waited, but you'd expect them to roll in as a bloc. Something's gone wrong (I mean, more wrong than two of their riders crashing)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,149
    Good question, Is that Kwia dodging him in the screenshot above? Did the Bernal crash split Sky up and leave Froome without any protection, leading to the second accident? Would be interesting to see it picked apart.

(eta - to dodge my own question, of course it isn't Kwia - he's not Polish champ, is he? mea culpa - in which case it looks like Froome was totally isolated and moving up alone. Suggestive.)
    Kwaitkowski is indeed the Polish champion. However, the rider in the picture is Lukas Postlberger of Bora, the Austrian champion.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,929
    I know how Froome feels
    Day 1 and I'm 1 ITV4 highlights show and 1 Cycling Podcast behind already :lol:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    edited July 2018
    Poels was caught up in the same crash as bernal before Froome crashed. The rest of sky were in front of Froome, but he lost them a bit and crashed trying to go through a non existent gap to get back to them.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    Bernal random crash.

Not sure this is true though, as why would they end up split up behind Froome in that scenario? Sure, they might have waited, but you'd expect them to roll in as a bloc. Something's gone wrong (I mean, more wrong than two of their riders crashing)
    They rode as hard as they could to get Froome into the Porte/Yates group, contributed what they had left and then dropped back. Most of BMC/Mitchelton also dropped off at the end.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    mamil314 wrote:
    Thanks, gsk82, I did not know

As long as he stayed with the group until inside 3k.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • EnacheV
    EnacheV Posts: 235
    Froome will not win the TdF

Because Stannard is not here

it will be 2014 all over again
  • RichN95.
    EnacheV wrote:
    Froome will not win the TdF

Because Stannard is not here

it will be 2014 all over again
    Stannard wasn't there last year either.