TDF 2018, Stage 1: Noirmoutier-en-l'Île > Fontenay-le-Comte 07/07/2018 - 201 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    Break of the day already decided.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,249
    I’m out for a birthday and the football so enjoy.

Hopefully no crashes.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    It's on Shaun!

Yes Carlton, the Tour of France is underway.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    It's on Shaun!

Millar and Boulting, then.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    Person in a furry potato costume wearing a yellow hat riding an exercise bike held aloft in a cherry picker.

THIS is what I came for.
  • above_the_cows
    It's on Shaun!

I'm switching to the Dutch Eurosport stream.
  • above_the_cows
    Sky's Orca kit looks far too much like Sunweb.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Whoop, It's here!!

I ve even had a steroid shot to celebrate!!! (Hurty at the moment tho.)

For the first time I ve bought Eurosport player (congratulations free streams your adverts have made them so unwatchable I e actually paid not to have them)

Conflicted on PTP GC though. Gone for Froome, as has the forum peloton, but that requires him doing the double which...I dunno. Not sure I see...

Le tour is the tour
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • my man Yoyo doing what he does - he looks thinner than Ive ever seen him - wish he would save himself and get stuck in later
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    It's on Shaun!

Thanks, forgot about ITV4!

Can we have a Hatch klaxon throughout the Tour so that we know when it’s safe to switch back to Eurosport?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I don't understand why there aren't more people trying to get in the break on stage 1. Unlike other stages there's a guaranteed chance to get a (KOM) jersey by the end of the day.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Tao very interesting on ITV4. Just sailing round the island but currently off duty.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,205
    RichN95 wrote:
    I don't understand why there aren't more people trying to get in the break on stage 1. Unlike other stages there's a guaranteed chance to get a (KOM) jersey by the end of the day.

Yeah, it got away very quickly. Looked a bit "locals only". Possibly arranged beforehand?
    They're not being given much slack though, were up to 4 mins then brought back to 3'30"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Tao very interesting on ITV4. Just sailing round the island but currently off duty.

My Man!

First time I'm disappointed to be getting DK rather than UK commentary.
  • RichN95 wrote:

Yeah, it got away very quickly. Looked a bit "locals only". Possibly arranged beforehand?
    They're not being given much slack though, were up to 4 mins then brought back to 3'30"

Bernaudeau Cycles, our bike shops in Vendée (85)

lots of 'influence' in the area :)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,605
    ddraver wrote:
    Whoop, It's here!!

I ve even had a steroid shot to celebrate!!! (Hurty at the moment tho.)

For the first time I ve bought Eurosport player (congratulations free streams your adverts have made them so unwatchable I e actually paid not to have them)

Conflicted on PTP GC though. Gone for Froome, as has the forum peloton, but that requires him doing the double which...I dunno. Not sure I see...

Le tour is the tour

That's why I changed (there's still time)

As certain as he is to win (and I want him to create history) there is that uncertainty, and a reason no one has done the Giro-Tour double in 20 years
  • RichN95.
    Last call for PTP picks
  • ddraver
    Damnit, I'm a minute too late...but I still don't know who to pick other than him. Would be TommyD but obvs he's in the exact same boat. Ritchie? Too fragile. Nairo? Too unbothered...

Have to say, given how big the ITV boys went on Gaviria I'm surprised at the lack of PTP love for him. The few who have are almost up for a combativity award no?
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Break down to 2'15" ish with 115km to go.
    Someone's going to jump across soon, surely.
  • RichN95.
    Today's PTP picks

16 Groenwegen
    14 Gaviria
    12 Kittel
    7 Cavendish
    6 Sagan
    1 Greipel
  • takethehighroad
    I have form for picking Porte and him letting me down, even in week long stage races.

That's why I went against the forum and didn't pick him for the Tour de Suisse to my absolute failure.

I am yet to be convinced by him, but if I am proved wrong, I will be pleasantly surprised. Plus, as in 2014, I will sit back smugly if Froome falls off on the cobbles.

As for today, I just think Gaviria is in to uncharted waters, hence the lack of picks. As we all know you can win in the Giro, but the Tour is the Tour
  • takethehighroad
    They're on the fastest schedule, so the finish is due for just half half 2 our time.

Perfect to be able to switch over to the footy afterwards
  • RichN95.
    ddraver wrote:
    Have to say, given how big the ITV boys went on Gaviria I'm surprised at the lack of PTP love for him. The few who have are almost up for a combativity award no?
    He's the second most picked. Only the person who picked Griepel (BelgianBeerGeek I think) is up for combativity points today.
  • RichN95.
    Plus, as in 2014, I will sit back smugly if Froome falls off on the cobbles.
    [pedant]He never got to the cobbles[/pedant]
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    The best thing about itv is no Kirby!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    RichN95 wrote:
    Plus, as in 2014, I will sit back smugly if Froome falls off on the cobbles.
    [pedant]He never got to the cobbles[/pedant]

He must have. All those people who spent the next 2 years telling us he can't ride in the cobbles citing his 3 crashes on the cobbled stage of 2014 cant be wrong.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    He's the second most picked. Only the person who picked Griepel (BelgianBeerGeek I think) is up for combativity points today.

Well I skim read that badly....
    - @ddraver
  • takethehighroad
    Team Sky with fluorescent musettes at the feed.

Very clever, I would imagine there's some science behind that along the lines of being more visible to riders
  • ddraver
    Ah sugar the cobbles

Man I ve done this badly. Too under - raced for PTP...
    - @ddraver
  • Team Sky with fluorescent musettes at the feed.

Very clever, I would imagine there's some science behind that along the lines of being more visible to riders

It is so they can find the secret wonder drug that Froome is on that no one else in all of science, never mind the peloton, has discovered yet.

And of course rechargeable batteries for the motors in their bikes.
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012