Got £300-500 to spend? Want a new bike? READ THIS!

froze
froze Posts: 203
edited July 2018 in MTB buying advice
Why is this topic locked? is the poster a boy for B Twin and Bikeradar sponsors them so no negative things is allowed to be brought up so they locked the post?

Those bikes he listed for under 500 quid use crappy low rated suspension forks. I would never recommend someone to buy one of those IF they NEEDED a suspension fork at all! The only reason a person needs a suspension fork and/or frame is if they are going to be riding aggressively down steep highly technical terrain at a high rate of speed, then you will need a better shock system because those cheap ones like the Suntour XCR won't track well when the going gets tough nor will they last long. In fact for most people who never participate in such aggressive DH riding a completely rigid bike is all they'll ever need, that's all I use and I was riding fairly fast down mountain trails in Southern California having no problem keeping up with full suspension bikes, though we weren't racing. In addition to that if you're not riding on rough trails you will actually lose wattage to the rear wheel because the front shock is absorbing some of that wattage and wasting it from your forward motion. Not only that but cheap shock forks weigh a ton not to mention they don't last long.

If you only have less than 500 quid and can't squeak out a bit more for the bike that has the Rockshox 30 Silver fork (which is the entry level to a decent shock fork) then either save your money till you do have the cash or get a completely rigid bike. Keep in mind that when a bike company builds a low end bike with a shock fork that fork cost more money than a standard fork they have to take something away from the bike to meet a certain price point, and that usually involves a cheaper frame and components.

This not a slam against B Twin, I think they offer some superbe deals on bikes which shouldn't be overlooked, but when you get down to lower end bikes they are just that...lower end, and with lower end bikes comes a lot of issues, and especially in the MTB department if people attempt to use the bike beyond its capabilities.

In today's world if you need a suspension bike for cheap you would be better off getting a low end fat tire bike with no suspension of course. The fat tires on these bikes only use about 15 to 20 psi, and the tires will literally float over obstacles better than a bike with cheap suspension fork. Of course low end fat bikes do weigh a ton, but so do lower end mountain bikes, so at least with a low end fat tire bike you have less to go wrong with the absence of a suspension fork, and since the tires are fat you can travel on more difficult terrain than a MTB can and leave less of a footprint.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wut?

And b0ll0cks.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    The thread hasn't been updated in 3 years.

I thinking riding rigid down all those SoCal trails may have knocked the sense out of you.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    I thought the OP's last paragraph made sense. :)

PS: Not sure about the last sentence though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well except for fat tyres runnng at 15-20psi, most full fat riders I know are on about 8.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,446
    The Rookie wrote:
    Well except for fat tyres runnng at 15-20psi, most full fat riders I know are on about 8.

Given that the OP was clearly having a rant at something or somebody, and hence not making much sense, I thought I'd let him have that one. It looked as though he was calming down as his post progressed.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wrote the post. Several years ago.
    is the poster a boy for B Twin and Bikeradar sponsors them so no negative things is allowed to be brought up so they locked the post?

Absolutely not. The site owner, due to new EU data laws and accountability, do not allow non Immediate employed people to moderate the site anymore. This has left this very old post locked and in limbo - and myself unable to edit it, which believe me, I would have updated it by now.
    The only reason a person needs a suspension fork and/or frame is if they are going to be riding aggressively down steep highly technical terrain at a high rate of speed, then you will need a better shock system because those cheap ones like the Suntour XCR won't track well when the going gets tough nor will they last long.

I disagree. The forks on these bikes, whilst budget, are easy to service, have damping cartridges and offer a degree of control, grip and comfort over rougher terrain that many people, especially beginners, will find beneficial for minor to moderate trails. I specifically picked the better versions of the XCR. Fat bikes are an alternative, as are rigid - I wish we had more to choose from, but the fact is we don't. Choice is a good thing.

It does need updating though. If you know of any good fat bikes for £300, then feel free to post them.