Custom built bike frame - what can you expect as a customer?

gnomelord
gnomelord Posts: 5
edited June 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I'm just fishing for opinions at the moment as I'm unsure what my expectations should be regarding a custom build.
Many moons ago I had a custom steel frame made which was my pride and joy for some time and never had cause to question it or its builder.
-
More recently I've had another frame made. Like many, I chose my source based on a vast array of positive opinions and to a lesser degree price.
Now, to the crux; as we are talking about hand built, I appreciate that the tubes aren't assembled by robots so I'm not going to get 3D printed precision and perfectly spaced welds etc.
Provided the basic geometry is correct and it's aligned correctly, how forgiving should I be in terms of the 'hand builtness' of the finished article?
I read an interview with a very well respected builder who even stated that he could spend a year on a frame and never come close to the uniformity of a factory built frame! something to the effect that the beauty of such a thing is in its randomness.
But, where do I draw the line? What would you accept? If something isn't millimetre perfect but the builder says that's as good as they can do, should that be acceptable?
I know this is a bit open ended but would really like to hear your opinions or indeed, similar experiences.
Thanks

Comments

• imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    If you are using a reputable frame builder then in my opinion the finish should be better than factory because it's made with care and attention.

The bikes are all made with a jig so should be quite accurate as far as geometry goes, so it's just a case of how tidy the metalwork is and how good the paint and finish is. I can't see how a frame builder can't meet the very best of mass market bikes if they have a good paint and finish department. (or someone who can....)

I suspect that this reputable builder is probably far too critical of their work. As all good craftsmen are.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I had a frame custom built 5 or 6 years ago and the attention to detail and finishing was far beyond my expectations. If they have a good reputation, they should be willing to stand behind their product. Ultimately they have to ensure they are making their customers happy, so if you are not I would take it up with your framebuilder.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Depends what you're willing to pay.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    The frame should still be assembled in a jig, the tubes mitred on a machine and the fact the welding / brazing is being done by hand would make me want it to be spot on having been done by a skilled craftsman.

I've seen Pegoretti's and Baum's up close and the finish is second to none - flawless, this are one end of the price spectrum though, you pay a lot and therefore it should be perfect.

Is this what the frame builder is telling you from the outset? That effectively they do not have confidence in being able to produce a 100% spot on article? Not s great start.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack