Consequences of Brake Cables Being Too Short

ctp046
ctp046 Posts: 46
edited May 2018 in Workshop
Just recabled my bike (CaadX 105). It was my first go at it, and, as happens sometimes, it went well but not perfect.

The brake cables are run internally so I couldn't measure against the old ones (just taped the new ones to the old ones and pulled them through) and I didn't account for the bend in the bars enough so now my cables are a bit short. Shifting and braking works great (there aren't any kinks or anything), but I can only turn the handlebars 90 degrees each direction.

My biggest concern (I think) is what is going to happen if (when) I crash? I race CX in the fall and I've had a few tumbles. Didn't spend that time looking at where the handlebars go while I'm flying through the air. Should I be concerned about breaking anything? Don't want to end up wrecking my shifters (105) or something like that. Is there anything else I should be worried about?

I'll fix the cables eventually, just wondering how urgent that should be.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    its your brakes. they are quite important. cables cost a fiver.

change them now.

you'll end up crashing either because of restricted handlebar lock or ripping them out of the caliper.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    In a crash it will be big trouble, otherwise fine. But of course when you service your bike you prepare for the worst. Always make sure cable is long enough for bar to turn all the way.
  • trekvet
    trekvet Posts: 223
    Perhaps you have had a few tumbles because you have poor control with drop bars? Do mountain bikes have drop bars? Do you need aero advantage going round fields? If you don't want a control-advantage by changing to straight bars, just buy a new rear cable and use the too short rear cable (suitable shortened) as the new front.
    The Wife complained for months about the empty pot of bike oil on the hall stand; so I replaced it with a full one.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    CTP046 wrote:
    but I can only turn the handlebars 90 degrees each direction.

Not quite sure what you mean here. 90deg in each direction suggests a 180deg sweep from left to right - which sounds normal, or even better than normal. If you mean a total of 90deg through left and right - ie 45deg in each direction, then that should not be acceptable to any sane person. In other words, change them.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd not worry about it. Just don't crash it
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    cougie wrote:
    I'd not worry about it. Just don't crash it

or turn the bars :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,303
    Imposter wrote:
    CTP046 wrote:
    but I can only turn the handlebars 90 degrees each direction.

Not quite sure what you mean here. 90deg in each direction suggests a 180deg sweep from left to right - which sounds normal, or even better than normal. If you mean a total of 90deg through left and right - ie 45deg in each direction, then that should not be acceptable to any sane person. In other words, change them.
    Whilst you wouldn't use as much in normal riding the thing that restricts the bars movement is normally the bars hitting the top tube, that's more than 90 degrees. If the brake cables are restricting that movement in a crash, or some other unusual movement, the brake cables may get yanked quite hard. That's best avoided.
  • ctp046
    ctp046 Posts: 46
    Re cost: have TRP Spyres and therefore compressionless cables (whichade a huge difference). So cost isn't that cheap.

Re not crashing: I usually try to tell myself to not do that. Doesn't seem to work, but maybe this will be good motivation?

Re swapping bars: my view on it is that if you never crash you're not pushing yourself hard enough. Plus cx seems like the best place to fall off your bike. The ground is usually softer than with more forms of cycling.

Re turning distance: yes 90 degrees each direction (so front wheel perpendicular to the rest of the bike, 180 degrees total). My concern is that, as noted by one of the responders, in a crash that's not going to be enough because the bars will turn until they contact the top tube (slightly more than 90 degrees). However it looks like it might actually be my water bottle that stops the bars in a crash. That seems to be about 100 degrees which is fine in one direction but not the other.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    CTP046 wrote:
    Re turning distance: yes 90 degrees each direction (so front wheel perpendicular to the rest of the bike, 180 degrees total).

In which case, it's simply not an issue worth worrying about.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I don't think I've ever cut cables that long because when do you ever turn 90 degrees on the front wheel ? I really can't see this is a problem.
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    Fenix wrote:
    I don't think I've ever cut cables that long because when do you ever turn 90 degrees on the front wheel ? I really can't see this is a problem.

It not a problem until you crash
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You know it isn't done right. Just swallow your pride and redo it properly. You'll be happier knowing it's fixed.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • vegasfoster
    vegasfoster Posts: 59
    Or you can just use your other brakes...kinda like this https://youtu.be/2s13X66BFd8?t=19