Cannondale Saeco Refurbishment

Aaronpearce
Aaronpearce Posts: 5
edited June 2018 in Road beginners
Cannondale Saeco Refurbishment

I have been riding a 90’s Cannondale Saeco for the past 3 years and the groupset is knackered so I have decided to refurbish the bike. The frame is in good condition and I have been told by a couple of people they are great frames so I would be better fixing it up than buying a new bike.

The current groupset is Shimano 105 2x9 speed; the levers, cassette, chain and headset all definitely need replacing and I imagine the rest is nearing the end of its life. I think the current wheels (they say nova on them but I know no more) can probably take 10 speed but not 11 speed but I am not sure.

I have been considering upgrading to a second hand 9 speed tiagra groupset or potentially buying new wheels and getting an 11 speed groupset. Is this worthwhile? I don’t race and it doesn’t particularly worry me have an extra 1 or 2 gears but if there are other advantages I am all ears.

My budget for the refurb is £200 – 300 with slight flexibility. I intend on doing all the work myself and am pretty much novice at bike mechanics anything greater than adjusting brake/gears maybe changing a chain but I love learning how to do it all.

Specifically I would like to know which groupsets and wheels would work well together and provide good value. Please can someone offer some good advice.

Thank you for helping.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Keep the bike. They are wonderful and retro and soooooo cool.

Strip all that old rubbish off it.

Full 11 speed groupset, deep carbon rims, polish the feck out of it.

It's more than worth it as they are so cool.

Stuff the budget.

Post piccies immediately please.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    So much potential to be utterly cool. Het.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The extra gears are of marginal benefit but the shifting and braking performance will transform the bike. May be worth holding out for the new 11spd 105 groupset which should be available in a couple of weeks or so now?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Matthewfalle
    completely agree with Svetty re the gears but I and I are going more on form, weight, action, bling.

its gonna rock.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Loved those bikes. I would just give it a very close examination before putting new kit on to make sure the frame is sound.
  • Thanks for the advice.

I have found a set of Shimano WH-RS010 wheels for £110 on ebay new. Would they be suitable for what I need?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-WH-R ... Swd4tTum80

Furthermore, what am I looking for when inspecting the frame? There's some small areas where the paint has bubbled and another where the cables have rubbed the paint off. Doesn't look catastrophic to me though.

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/Aaron ... sort=3&o=0
  • Matthewfalle
    Those wheels will be fine but nothing great - that bike is so cool it deserves better.

Even a set of Aksiums or Kyseriums would be better but a set of deep rims would be soooo cool. Carbonzone off the bay are very good and cost efficient.

Match with a MC C chain at just over a tenner, Tiagra level cassette at roughly the same, winner winner. Cables from the big box in the shop.

Those frames had a habit of cracking: just go over it looking for any cracks that may be deeper than paint cracks. Anything you spot just pop on here for 200 opinions then take to local decent shop and see what they say.

Paint bubbles and rub is nothing at all to worry about.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I’d go silver Campagnolo Potenza groupset, polished Cinelli bars, stem, seatpost and a set of Prime 50mm carbon wheels or similar. It will be above budget, but will look and ride kick ass. You could probably do it for a grand with some judicious shopping.
  • Matthewfalle
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I’d go silver Campagnolo Potenza groupset, polished Cinelli bars, stem, seatpost and a set of Prime 50mm carbon wheels or similar. It will be above budget, but will look and ride kick ass. You could probably do it for a grand with some judicious shopping.

Nah - black everything to make the frame colours pop.

With red and yellow frame the silver groupset and black wheels will turn it into a bugger's muddle.

Full 105 will do the job.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    I'd keep with nine speed and put some Rev X's on it.
  • Matthewfalle
    cld531c wrote:
    I'd keep with nine speed and put some Rev X's on it.

Dirk has Rev Xs. They rock.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I decided to take all your advice with the group sets and bought a new shimano 105 5800. Spent most of this weekend fitting it and it’s starting to look better. The bike needs the headset bearings replaced. How do I know what bearings to buy and what’s the tell on whether the whole headset needs replacing? Thanks.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    edited June 2018
    oops
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    i had one of those and then a caad 6 team bike LOLOLOL