Forum home Road cycling forum Training, fitness and health

GPS tracker advice required

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,208
Looking for a GPS watch style tracker that I can use for running and cycling that doesn't need recharging every 2 minutes. I don't really want Garmin as fed up with hassle from my dedicated cycle Garmin failing or playing up. Don't really want to spend more than £150 and ideally do heart rate.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    Suunto. Polar. Check out DC rainmaker for his recommendation. Tbh my Garmin fenix has been brilliant.
  • xslbmlqoxslbmlqo Posts: 25
    [url][/url]Fenix 3/5/5X are very heavy watches. They also have connectivity issues for GPS, ANT+ and Bluetooth because the bezel is metal.

The forerunner 935 is the one to get. It's a fenix in a very strong hard-plastic packaging. I've had all these watches as samples and the 935 is far superior. Lightweight, reliable, useful for multisports.

You can get a quick release bike mount kit for it too. I can't recommend it highly enough. You may be tempted by the looks of the Fenix, but honestly, avoid. If you need any encouragement on this point just look at forums.garmin.com and see the huge number of complaints for the fenix. Also notice the mass of people moving to the 935 from the fenix and praising the gps accuracy.

Get one - it's by far the best watch I have ever used. I'm a cyclist but also swim and run too. I use GoldenCheetah (free) to log on my computer at home and have found this combination invaluable.

Wiggle have these, with a discount, for around £370 - depends on your discount level once logged in. Check ebay too :-)

Note: you will find responses saying "well MY fenix works fine!" - but ignorance is bliss. I'm cold climates or for those wearing plastic long sleeved tops the static electricity, caused by a design flaw, causes the altimeter and barometer to go crazy. This is important for hillwalkers. It also ruins connectivity to our various bike accessories.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,208
    Problem I have is after issues with various garmins I hate them and would prefer no garmin without breaking the bank. Will keep using smart phone till I see something different I suspect.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 3,996
    Expensive but not Garmin is the fitbit ionic. Usually £299 or a bit less but Google shopping found a few retailers at £199. Never heard of them but if you wanted to take a risk...

Personally I think the GPS tracker watches are typically £200+ these days. I baulked at spending £139 on my fitbit Surge a good few years ago but it was cheap compared to these days. It surprised me how much they've risen in price. The surge was a market leading tracker a few years back so in about 2 to 3 years that level has risen by over £100 I reckon. For what reason? They're basically offering only a slight improvement, nothing that couldn't be upgraded with an update. Rip off!

Having said that if you don't need strava connectivity, ability to see your data on different platforms, etc then an argos buy of that company beurer iirc might have a GPS tracker cheaper. Or there's other makes less well known too. Personally I'd save up and get something good or not bother.
  • thistle_(mbnw)thistle_(mbnw) Posts: 3,886
    Expensive but not Garmin is the fitbit ionic. Usually £299 or a bit less but Google shopping found a few retailers at £199. Never heard of them but if you wanted to take a risk...
    My girlfriend has one of these.
    She tracks stuff on the fitbit website so it works fine from that point of view but I'm not sure how well it integrates with 3rd party websites such as Strava.
    You can also use it as a contactless card which is handy for buying cake/coffee (if your bank has signed up for it - Santander took a long time to join in).

Me - I use my phone in my jersey pocket with the IPBike app for logging. I have an old phone which I can strap to the stem and use it as a computer/logger/map although it's no good when it's wet and being an old phone the GPS has bad days.
  • cougiecougie Posts: 22,512
    I used my fenix for running in the Arctic circle. It was bloody cold and no issues at all. I think it's three years old now and hadn't missed a beat. Recorded and navigated fine on hill walks too.

I prefer it to the plastic version as I can wear the one watch for everything. Business and sports.

No connection issues for me either. Three of my pals have bought fenix since I got this and they're happy too.
  • tangled_metaltangled_metal Posts: 3,996
    I use the surge and see my ride on strava within ten minutes of finishing the ride. It uploads via BT to my phone and the fitbit app. That then shares it with strava and any other app fitbit works with. Plus it's an older model so I'd expect the ionic to play well with strava. I think I read it works directly to strava but I'd check that.

There's a new one out, the verso. It looks to be targeted at women judging by the way their website makes a lot of cycle monitoring (menstrual not pedal).

Fitbit also has a few heart rate monitoring trackers that use a connected GPS system to track activity. That needs connection to your smartphone. Though for me that's not an issue because I always have the phone with me.

If I need to replace my surge I'll probably go down the smaller, neater and cheaper trackers with connected GPS. My surge is connected to my phone anyway for notifications so I don't see why it's an issue.
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    Doesn't do heart rate, but as someone who has owned one of these for a couple of years, if it conked out I'd probably buy a sony smartwatch 3 again at this price: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-SmartWa ... 3329877239

Best price for an Android Wear watch with heart rate is probably this one, runs the newer version of android wear too - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ticwatch-Andro ... B077NSBVFN

Seeing as you want to avoid Garmin something android based is probably your best bet for compatibility, although if you use an Iphone you're a bit more limited what you can do with an android watch.
  • timothywtimothyw Posts: 2,482
    Sounds like the Amazfit Bip might be worth a look also if you want something cheap and cheerful - £50 with HR and GPS and reasonable reviews from what I've seen.
  • While I agree with xslbmlqo that the Forerunner 935 is ace, the Polar M430 is another good option too. Slightly above the £150 mark, but If you're only after cycling and running, there's bound to be some options out there... not to mention you can tap into second-hand watches
  • rdtrdt Posts: 869
    oxoman wrote:
    I don't really want Garmin as fed up with hassle from my dedicated cycle Garmin failing or playing up. Don't really want to spend more than £150 and ideally do heart rate.

Noting your non-Garmin preference and specified budget, I'll mention a Garmin Vivoactive 3 at £230 (argos, amazon etc). :lol:

Ray Maker reviewed it in October at launch, and last week reviewed the new Vivoactive 3M variant, which has music storage but is otherwise identical to the Vivoactive 3 in terms of sensor tech & firmware. Both reviewed well, with good GPS (esp when set to 1s sampling) and good optical HR accuracy (see last week's 3M review).

My partner uses a Vivoactive 3 (for running only so far) without encountering any problems to-date (recent purchase). GPS tracking appears accurate. Syncs to Garmin Connect then on to Strava without issue.

Unisex (discrete) design may appeal or be off-putting, depending on preference. I'd have one.
    ----