Giro 2018, Stage 12: Osimo - Imola. 214 kms *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Giro 2018, Stage 12: Osimo - Imola Thursday, 17 May 2018

The 12th stage of the Giro d'Italia runs to Imola, a town in the north of Italy and home of the Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari. Starting in Osimo, the 214 kilometres route is predominantly flat.
It’s been three years since Imola hosted the Giro d’Italia. In 2015, the 11th stage ran from Forlì to the town on the river Santerno. In fact, it was a hilly race with a finish on the famous car-circuit Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari. The stage concluded with three laps of 16.9 kilometres, all taking in the Tre Monti, a 4.3 kilometres climb at 4.2%.
In 2015, Ilnur Zakarin took the stage win. He outperformed a breakaway with Steven Kruijswijk, Beñat Intxausti, Ryder Hesjedal, Diego Rosa and Carlos Betancur and eventually soloed to victory.
The finale of stage 12 in the 2018 Giro d’Italia is played out on the same circuit, and also features the Tre Monti climb. Yet, the route will be not be as hilly as three years ago, so fast men will be eyeing up this one. The toughest climb of the day wil be the aforementioned Tre Monti. But instead of three times over the top as in 2015 the Tre Monti is included only once. At the top it’s 7.6 kilometres remaining, mostly downhill.
Following the start in Osimo the riders travel to coastal town Ancona. Along the Adriatic Sea the route continues north until Rimini, where Italian hero Marco Pantani died in 2004, only 34 years of age. The route turns inland and after 30 kilometres the Giro moves through Cesena, where Il Pirata was born. With 193 kilometres done the riders pass the line on the race circuit of Imola.

Profile:-
stage-12-profile.jpg?01

Map:-
giro-d-italia-2018-stage-12-map-n2-a7dbac29bf.jpg

Finish:-
giro-d-italia-2018-stage-12-finish-111da2c158.jpg
G18_T12_Imola_ARR_jpg.jpg

IMOLA

Along the via Emilia, where the Appenine’s valley of the Santerno river projects into the Po Valley, Imola is the major city of Bologna’s metropolitan area by extension and the second largest by number of inhabitants, following Bologna.
MAIN SIGHTS
Rocca Sforzesca (Sforza Castle, 14th century), Palazzo Vescovile (bishop’s palace, 12th century), Cattedrale di San Cassiano (12th century), Palazzo Tozzoni (home to the Civic Museum), Parco Acque Minerali, Bosco della Frattona nature reserve, Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari.

Population: 70,000
Foundation: 2nd century B.C.
Ancient name: Forum Cornelii

6336946378_4eceddeff7_b.jpg
Imola-could-alternate-with-Monza-for-Italian-GP-800x537.jpg

The local Imola vino:-
robianco.jpg

Crescente (dough with bacon and rosemary),
CRESCENTA-BOLOGNESE-SENZA-GLUTINE-E-FRUMENTO.jpg

The other local food.
AGIP-Super-Motoroil-SAE-20W-50-SKU09215733-2016517112935.jpg

Pretty obvious who the favourites are for the next two stages.
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Light southwesterly winds so no chance of the proximity to the coast resulting in echelons. Possibility of some rain, especially towards the end.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    I was just thinking that this had been a great tour for avoiding boring flat stages but then remembered I ignored stages 2 and 3
  • Now, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that there's a chance that this'll be one for the sprinters :?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    It will certainly be a sprint of some kind. The question is can the likes of Bora gap Viviani over the Tre Monti if they go full gas?
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,646
    I went on holiday to Rimini, I had a lovely time
  • Super work on the spoiler thread as always. :D

Shame that, on this occasion, it will be far more interesting than the actual stage. Been watching Zoncolan videos this morning, bring it on!
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • So, anything interesting happened? Any break got away?
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    2 Wilier, 2 Bardiani, 1 Androni have approx 3:40 on the bunch. Just short of 170km to go

Zzzzzzzz
  • blazing_saddles
    Break of 5 Pro Conti hopefuls. Nobody special. Three and a half minutes ahead is all.
    Slower than yesterday, even though it's flat. 168 kms left to plod.
    Time to knock out tomorrow's even easier (boring) stage, I think.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    I feel really sorry for whoever has to keep updating the CN live ticker on days like today
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Any developments?
  • blazing_saddles
    Tashman wrote:
    Any developments?

Yes.
    It's raining.
  • blazing_saddles
    Once agin Eurosport have given the last kms and the finale to Mr Screech. :oops:
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Milton50 wrote:
    It will certainly be a sprint of some kind. The question is can the likes of Bora gap Viviani over the Tre Monti if they go full gas?

got to be worth a try.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    god! these guys are so insanely conditioned. can't be good for you all this pedalling :)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Quite a few splits in the peloton.
    Have the predicted crosswinds turned up?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    Claxon on standby.
  • mididoctors
    storm blowing peloton about
  • mididoctors
    lot of grovelling into a wall of water
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,247
    Something's happening...
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    Biblical rain, now groups all-over the road
  • mididoctors
    visibility may be an issue.
  • rick_chasey
    Second group is 40 secs behind.

Pozzovivo behind according to clueless Dutch commentary.
  • That looks bloody horrible out there :D
  • rick_chasey
    Viviani caught behind.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Shocker of a day. Crashes looking likely
  • mididoctors
    carapaz caught behind
  • blazing_saddles
    Carapaz, Lopez and Betancur are...
  • mididoctors
    Viviani caught behind.

confirmed
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    I only switched on 5 minutes ago but does the identity of the teams on the front suggest that we should see some action on the climb?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet