Wahoo speed sensor purpose

3wheeler
3wheeler Posts: 110
May seem like a silly question, but looking at the wahoo elelment bundle they include a speed sensor, why would you need one with a GPS computer?

The only reason I can imagine is indoor training.

Comments

• davebradswmb
    davebradswmb Posts: 461
    The speed sensor gives you instant feedback on your speed, GPS speed seems to be calculated over a sample of points over as much as 5 seconds so there is always a lag to respond to changes in speed.

However the only time that I can see that this is really going to make a difference is when you are accelerating or braking hard, and I can't see anyone looking at their bike computer in that situation.

So as you say, probably only of use for indoor training. I still have one on my bike though.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Doesn't need to be hard braking ...
    Garmin is the same. Despite sitting at a constant speed (cadence the same) - my "speed" varies and can do quite considerably - especially around corners. Then when you get any ascent/descent in there the GPS derived numbers are not accurate.
    Does it matter? I used to think so - when I was keeping a close eye on my speed - but recently I've cared less and just ride instead. I do notice that the speed isn't right - but there are so many variables that it doesn't really matter - eg taking an easy ride in, let a tractor go past me, picked up the tow - and a PB on a reasonable segment, along with Z2 heart rate ...
  • 3wheeler
    Excellent, thanks. I'm not concerned about the exact speed being recorded.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    It also helps under tree cover or in other obscured situations (tall buildings, tunnels etc). I bought the bundle for the HRM and cadence sensors - the speed sensor came as well so I use it because I have it. I'm thinking of swapping it from my road bike to my MTB as this more often gets iffy GPS cover due to time spent in woods and forests.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • 3wheeler
    figbat wrote:
    It also helps under tree cover or in other obscured situations (tall buildings, tunnels etc). I bought the bundle for the HRM and cadence sensors - the speed sensor came as well so I use it because I have it. I'm thinking of swapping it from my road bike to my MTB as this more often gets iffy GPS cover due to time spent in woods and forests.
    Out of interest - what mount on you using on your MTB? Does it hold it without much risk of falling off?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I use the included stem mount with the included cable ties. It is rock solid over everything, including falls. The out-front aero mount is on a road bike (in fact I got another so all my bikes have a permanently fitted mount).
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    figbat wrote:

I can vouch for the older Garmins losing sight of their satellites under tree cover; my Touring Plus used to start sending me back the way I'd come if it thought that was the quickest way to the end of the ride. I've since turned off the recalculate function which seemed to be the culprit.

Can't say I've ever worried about having an accurate speed display. I'd rather have fewer things stuck on the bike.