Help with frame size please

NeinTailedFox
NeinTailedFox Posts: 3
edited May 2018 in Road beginners
First time poster here, hope you guys can help me out.

Due to hip pain and an operation last year I have picked up cycling and am happy I did. I am now looking for a 2nd bike for longer endurance rides. I have some issues with frame size and even after spending hours on the internet and talking to a bike fitter I am unsure which size I should get. Problem is I have an inseam of 90cm and a height of 183cm. Going by inseam alone I should ride a 58cm frame which is way too big. Going by the fit calculator at competitivecyclist I should ride between 54.1cm and 54.7cm horizontal top tube length. The bike fitter I talked too said the same. He measured me on an old frame 2 years ago which had a top tube length of 56.5cm and said I was too stretched out. Even after shortening the stem from 110mm to 80mm he said I should consider a 54cm for my next frame.

I am currently riding a Canyon Inflite 9.0s in size M with a top tube length of 55.3cm. I am happy but have neck pain on longer rides and it seems my reach is the problem but it could also be the saddle to handlebar drop. The new bike I want is the new Cannondale Synapse. But the million dollar question is, should I go with a 54 frame or a 56? The 56 would be even longer than my Canyon, but the stack would also be higher. The 54 would be shorter, but the saddle to handlebar drop greater. I rode both of them and the 54 seemed small handling wise. But just because the larger one felt right on a 2-minute ride, I don't know if I would say the same after a 4-hour ride or longer. I could get used to the handling probably, but I really want to get rid of the neck and upper back and shoulder blade issues.

Here a picture of me on my Canyon Inflite: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150518919 ... ed-public/

Comments

• From the photo there does not seem to be anything intrinsically wrong with your position. Your arms are stretched out but nothing beyond the norm. As you are fairly new to cycling I wouldn't get too hung up on a perfect fit at this stage, you will tweak things as you go so think of it as an ongoing process. In terms of the cannondale, I would go on initial feel, which from what you have said would be the 56. You can always play around with stem lengths, spacers, saddle to bar drop etc. in future.

In terms of your neck pain, your hip issues and previous op could play a role. After my last surgery I had muscle issues which meant my usual position caused back/neck/shoulder pain on long rides. I had to raise my bars for a few months until I got my strength back and then returned to my usual bike position. So there could be a mix of bike fit, physiological issues to throw into the mix.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,845
    I'm 178cm, with ~83cm cycling inseam.

My 58cm Cube has 388mm reach and 610mm stack.

For a 2018 Synapse Hi-Mod, I would go 56cm frame, which has 386mm reach and 590mm stack.
    https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bike/ ... =undefined

What is the stack and reach of your Inflite? That should give you a good guide to what you need for a new bike.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Bike fit is partly personal preference and also depends on your bodies dimensions/ flexibility as well.

My first road bike was for me too stretched out a position with too much drop. This meant it was uncomfortable in the drops and my weight distribution on the bike was off balance.

My current bike came with shorter reach and lower drop bars. This along with flipping the stem into the upright position means I am comfortable in the drops, hoods or bars as needed on long rides. You could try flipping the stem on your existing bike into the upright position, if you look on line there are stem calculators which show how different angle and length of stem affect bar position. I am between two sizes and chose the smaller sized frame as the next size up felt too stretched out for me and more perched on top of the bike than in it.

Think about where ideally you would want the bars, road bikes can have often too much drop and reach for many people and what suits you is most important. Ideally you should naturally be able to use bars, hoods and drops.
  • Thanks for the replies. So before I went out riding this weekend I flipped the stem and it was a huge difference. I almost did not have any discomfort or pain. I believe if I shorten the stem from the equipped 100mm to 90mm my inflite would be set up perfectly for me. If I gain more flexibility down the road I could flip it back to increase the drop again.

Judging by this weekend, it's probably better going with the 56 Cannondale and not to increase the drop even more by choosing the 54 frame.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    That's good news, road bikes can be a pain to setup due to the fairly fixed riding position.
  • I've been looking for this kind of thread. yay thanks for the advices/replies. I gotta get some infos too ^^
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Often the problem is more to so with the need to strengthen postural support muscles and work on core strength and resilience. Once this is achieved the pains go away without having to compromise on position. Riding like a Meercat isn't ideal ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D