Opinions on direct mount rim brakes?

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited May 2018 in Road buying advice
Do they really offer a significant improvement in braking performance or is it all hype?

Comments

• turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    neeb wrote:
    Do they really offer a significant improvement in braking performance or is it all hype?

I have EE brakes in both iterations. Both using the same pads, brake cable and sram etap levers. I’d personally say the differnce if any is small. In terms of getting them set up nicely then direct mount centre more easily obviously. But once you have them fine tuned I can’t really say there’s much in it. I’m not exactly an expert.... but I can notice the difference between the dura ace 9000, sram red22, or ultegra 6700 more than the difference between the two EE variants.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • neeb
    Direct mount also seem to be significantly heavier, in Campagnolo flavour at least.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Direct mount aren't made by SRAM and using SRAM levers with Shimano direct mount brakes, I found them not as good as when I switched to Shimano levers.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sandyballs
    sandyballs Posts: 577
    philthy3 wrote:
    Direct mount aren't made by SRAM and using SRAM levers with Shimano direct mount brakes, I found them not as good as when I switched to Shimano levers.

Released earlier this year.

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/236518-sram-launches-its-first-direct-mount-rim-brake
  • Andymaxy
    Andymaxy Posts: 197
    I don't think most of us would have a valid answer. It's rare that someone have direct mount and standard mount using the exact same pads and wheels(braking surface), so most comparisons aren't exactly fair. In my experience, I do favor direct mount brakes. The feel is very close to disc brakes in dry condition. On my race bike with carbon wheels and direct mount brakes, I seem to be getting a lot more power out than ok my training bike with standard brakes and metal braking surface.

After all what brakes depends on what your bike takes. When choosing a bike you want to evaluate it holistically.
  • neeb
    In my case I'm looking at getting a new frame, so this is just one of many factors to consider. Sounds like it's not going to be a major variable (alhough if I get a direct mount frame I'll need to get new brakes, and they're not cheap!).
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I've not been riding much in the last year and it's 3 years or so since I bought a new bike but what fresh hell is this?

Direct mount brakes - are these becoming standard on new top end frames? I'm assuming they have come from aero road frames ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Direct mount brakes - are these becoming standard on new top end frames?

I wouldn't necessarily say they are becoming standard (yet!) but some frames will only take DM brakes. I have just got a new frame and it is DM only.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    for me they are slightly more progressive. offer slightly better feel. but no more stopping power, really. depends on a number of factors, like pads, pad wear etc.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    SRAM clearly thought they were a trend worth joining, be it belatedly. From an engineering POV I can imagine they could offer less flex (and so better braking / modulation) than a single mounting bolt, but the extra bolt will probably make them slightly heavier, and the lower sales volumes will make them dearer.

If I wanted better braking than I could get with a standard 5800 caliper I'd probably switch to discs

I'm guessing direct mount calipers could be overtaken by the development of lighter disc braking systems...
  • Dont notice any difference on my Canyon Aeroad, more Aero gains than braking performance.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Dont notice any difference on my Canyon Aeroad, more Aero gains than braking performance.

surely the ultimate aero brakes would be shrouded, away from the wind? have to say on my Cento10air, they do look the business having said that.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Btwin have that direct mount brakes frame with the rear brake down low.

Just looks wrong somehow