Recommended routes/areas in Cornwall?

ajdobbin
ajdobbin Posts: 41
edited April 2018 in Road beginners
I’m looking for new routes and areas to explore in Cornwall.

I live in Fowey on the south coast of mid Cornwall and have been riding for just over 6 months. I ride at least 100 miles a week and have been to most of the surrounding areas (Bodmin Moor, Newquay, Padstow, Looe etc). I now have access to a car so can start to look a bit further afield.

Any suggestions of whereabouts to try next, your favourite routes and roads (I enjoy climbing, which is a good thing around here!)

I have plotted certain routes and checked google street view, but nothing beats knowledge from people who have actually ridden them. The far north coast around Bude looks promising, and would love to tackle Milook Hill.

I’ve included a link to my heat map just to show where I’ve been.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2365162 ... 4/-4.81750

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• chaymck
    chaymck Posts: 157
    Milook is tough but the road is in terrible condition (I rode it in nov).
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Roseland Peninsula is nice - you can follow the coastal road up and down some monster steep hills, not much traffic around and some nice views.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    You can drive out to shorten the ride or leave the car and ride from home for my suggestion. Could head to Gunnislake then across into Devon, through Tavistock onto Dartmoor up Rundlestone cat 2 climb and home. That routes got plenty of climbing and will be a decent long ride. I have noticed though that alot of Cornish folk do try to avoid crossing the Tamar unless its absolutely necessary!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • ajdobbin
    kirkee wrote:
    You can drive out to shorten the ride or leave the car and ride from home for my suggestion. Could head to Gunnislake then across into Devon, through Tavistock onto Dartmoor up Rundlestone cat 2 climb and home. That routes got plenty of climbing and will be a decent long ride. I have noticed though that alot of Cornish folk do try to avoid crossing the Tamar unless its absolutely necessary!

I’ve mapped a route over Dartmoor, including Rundlestone and Haytor, hoping to do that in the near future. I’m originally from the Peak District so luckily the Tamar bridge holds no fear for me!
  • ajdobbin
    BigMat wrote:
    Roseland Peninsula is nice - you can follow the coastal road up and down some monster steep hills, not much traffic around and some nice views.

Yeah, I rode out to St.Mawes a few days ago, it is lovely around there
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Look online for the websites for the Coast and Clay and the Lands End 100,both sites should have at least 3 routes of varying length.
    Thee Coast and Clay is based around the Newquay,North Coast are and Lands End event is taking in some ofthe bestroutes in the far west of Cornwall,stretching over towards the Lizard.

HTH
    Phil.
  • mr_mojo
    mr_mojo Posts: 200
    I did the Lands End 100 last year. If you choose the 100 mile loop don't do it with strong westerly winds coming off the Atlantic like last years ride!
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    There is just loads of it mate.

Pensilva / Minions / Upton Cross type area is fab.

Climb from A30 to Davidstow and onto Trethorn is a fav of mine. Nothing too steep there, but a nice section, link to Bude or Boscastle etc or Launceston to Okehampton on the old A30, or Launceston to Tavi through Lamerton.

Princetown from any direction.

Look at Dartmoor classic route.