Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Snowy Sunday

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,844
edited March 2018 in The bottom bracket
Morning peeps. Nearly completed last night shift at GMC coffee pot. Lots of snow so be careful out. Looking forward to no more night shifts. Don't think I'm going out on my bike later or watching young oxo play football today.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• sungodsungod Posts: 13,208
    'ning

yep, snowy, not deep but probably with lurking icy death under it from the wet roads yesterday

will have a look but unlikely to ride

maybe go to gym as a poor substitute, meh
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 8,911
    Morning, a good 3 to 4 inches of snow with a very strong and cold easterly wind, dog already walked , roll on next week when the clocks go forward, let’s hope it warms up a bit.
    It looks like indoor cycling again, which will be followed by a couple of pints and a roast beef dinner
    Be careful out there
  • Had a go out this morning. It would have been remiss of me to not give it a go.

Put CX tyres on and ran low pressures and not too bad but where cars have slewed round corners and roundabouts they've compacted the snow and it's turning to ice.

After a mile decided it too risky so came home and it'll be a go on the turbo this afternoon.
    just had a stroll

roads mostly clear/wet but there're some visible icy patches, probably worse away from the centre of town

we need an old top gear/grand tour style road scrubber and dryer, say 500kJ/m²/sec so it's reasonably quick, generator would fit on a lorry, how hard could it be?
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,878
    Foggy start due to an impromptu party at our house last night

Nice walk in the snow with the puppy, think they were right to cancel the race today, though doesn’t stop me moaning. Replacement ride for Paris Roubaix training looks off too :(

Probably just rollers or a run and then go and see my grandparents as my grandad is finally out of hospital
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Cold cold cold here. Heading to work to give a load of med lessons. I’m sure it will be as riveting for them as it will be for me.

Catch ya this afternoon.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,136
    It’s still snowing here, settling but not very deep due to wind blowing it around. It looks like the road hasn’t been ploughed yet. Not sure what days plans are as the drive looks a bit hazardous to attempt at the moment.
  • orraloonorraloon Posts: 7,533
    I'm not going out there, is cold and snowy, thought this was supposed to be spring. Time to get that stove back on. Got some sanding and painting to do, earn a couple of brownie points.
    strolled to cafe for a triple-shot long black and toast, enjoyed the totty, read the paper

looks a bit drier, but cold so cold, lumps of snow getting blown off rooves
    I’m wondering if I should risk walking to the shop for some milk as the police are saying only go out if it’s an essential journey.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,011
    Morning, can confirm its cold down this end to, bit of snow nothing dramatic but living on a hill makes it amusing anyway.

turbo session and roast dinner are my plans today.
    webboo wrote:
    I’m wondering if I should risk walking to the shop for some milk as the police are saying only go out if it’s an essential journey.
    Just noticed the local brass band are packing their coach across the road and heading to perform somewhere. So I guess it’s safe to go out :D
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,432 Lives Here
    Morning folks, traditional slow start is being had. Somewhat interrupted by one of the kids next door screaming for a couple of hours. Parents had locked her in her room, after the initial screaming fit from the harridan didn’t hear any more from her just the poor kid. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to have kids.
    Off to see the ‘rents later, had to pop round yesterday as their car wouldn’t start, turned out they’d left the inside light on. Other than that keeping warm is the order of the day.
    Dunno about a brass band but it’s certainly brass monkeys.
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 43,973
    Even the tropical South East is cold and snowy today. Jobs beckon once I can be arsed to do then.

On the good news front, Stropteen got an offer for the sixth form she wants to go to. The current one is pretty good but this one is even better: all she has to do is get the grades now...
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,173
    Mild hangover me. A mix of paint fumes, tiredness, a promising glass or two of Italian red that went downhill and here I am in limbo land.
    Must go and brave the Siberian winds and go to PPP to do a couple of silly filling jobs so that it's ready to sand in the morning. Later will be swimming with toots. Then it should have been M-SR but some [email protected] shifted it to a Saturday. Mind you saying that, the highlight was from less than 7k to go.

You must be on cloud 9 Oxo.

F*ck this long winter. F(ck painting. F*ck overrated and expensive Italian wine.
    Must find cat sitter for hols prep.. The usual suspect is away. How dare she?

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 6,054
    veronese68 wrote:
    Morning folks, traditional slow start is being had. Somewhat interrupted by one of the kids next door screaming for a couple of hours. Parents had locked her in her room, after the initial screaming fit from the harridan didn’t hear any more from her just the poor kid. Some people shouldn’t be allowed to have kids.
    Off to see the ‘rents later, had to pop round yesterday as their car wouldn’t start, turned out they’d left the inside light on. Other than that keeping warm is the order of the day.
    Dunno about a brass band but it’s certainly brass monkeys.

How old is the kid that is being locked screaming in its room?
    hopkinb wrote:
    How old is the kid that is being locked screaming in its room?
    I think she’s six. All of the problems stem from the kids attention seeking because their mother is too selfish to have kids. Then the Mum kicks off and it escalates from there.
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,003
    Very slow day, mainly because sleep was interrupted by howling wind all night and especially at 4am. Gusts over 100 km/h, blowing loose sheets of iron about down at the shed. Trees blown over, bit of a mess.

Pottered about indoors mainly, doing very little, and still dead tired. :(
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • chrisaonabikechrisaonabike Posts: 1,912
    Snow? Ice?

Oh, outside you mean?

Feeling smug with the new trainer. Did an hour of intervals last night. :D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 4,610
    Afternoon

Am I the only one who woke up, saw the snow and thought right I'm off for a bike ride? The MTB told me it wanted to see some daylight.

Only about a cm of snow on the roads, except the drifts which are knee high. It stopped snowing ages ago, it's just all blowing around.
    Off road you couldn't see the drifts so one second you're riding through a field, next you're ploughing through soft snow coming over your axles. Was fun until I turned back, had a biting heading and had to bail out down to a coffee shop to defrost because I couldn't feel my fingers any more.

Wheels for the road bike arrived at 6pm yesterday, no footprints on the box and the wheels are round so that's not too bad. Nearly 200g heavier than quoted which is disappointing but they were only cheap. All fitted but not to upset about not going out on a ride on them today!

Off to see if Tesco sell any white sealant to redo around the window frames. Just in time for the warm weather tomorrow.
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,844
    Afternoon All. Yes Pinno definitely over the moon no more night shifts hopefully for ever. Got confirmation and paperwork that eldest lad has got his engineering apprenticeship with well known digger manufacturer and will be paid censored tons to quote him. Roads particularly bad first thing, people dumping cars and crashing for some stupid reason. Poor old fritters getting stick for supposedly not gritting the roads around our area, saw them out at least half a dozen times overnight and on way home. Spin bike session looming I think, and lots of coffee.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    must admit that the dày went very well and according to plan so am happy. now just chillin with the Hound before a winner winner chicken dinner.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    Was going to go cycling but my stomach is painful so I had a great big bonfire and signed up to a local cycling club + BC to try and keep my new found fitness. Dreading tomorrow as it's my first day back after a week and a half. Driving investors about and pretending to know what I'm talking about I think
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 4,610
    No sealant in Tesco, got chocolates and chips instead. Went out to a cafe with GF and got some sealant on the way, Windows all tidy now.
    Currently reupholstering a chair for some Sunday randomness.
    haydenm wrote:
    Was going to go cycling but my stomach is painful so I had a great big bonfire and signed up to a local cycling club + BC to try and keep my new found fitness.
    Did you get the free race membership thing to get the 10% off at Halfords + CRC?
    HM can you treat investors like trees and shout at them? That would be more satisfying I’m sure.
    Congrats on the last night shift Oxo and good news for the lad.
    No chance of me riding a bike today, the cold air has set my cough going again. Really [email protected] sick of this. A brisk ride round the path in RP and over Wombledon Common would have been fun.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    Nah I have to pretend to be normal, it sucks
    haydenm wrote:
    Nah I have to pretend to be normal, it sucks
    Remember to clear out the dead hookers from the back of the pick up
    MTB ride followed by Apple based ale in the pub have improved a shite day.

My exceptionally old grandad has had a tube put in his belly to feed him as he can no longer digest food - wouldn’t it have been better to let nature take its course?
    tlw1 wrote:
    My exceptionally old grandad has had a tube put in his belly to feed him as he can no longer digest food - wouldn’t it have been better to let nature take its course?
    Does seem a little extreme if he's that old. Quality of life is the measure they seem to use with my old man and he's only 78*. That doesn't sound like he's going to have a great quality of life.

*As I'm nearing the end of my 40s at breakneck speed definitions of old age are getting very loose :lol:
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,173
    veronese68 wrote:
    *As I'm nearing the end of my 40s at breakneck speed definitions of old age are getting very loose :lol:

Don't remind me.
    When I start thinking that it's almost 20 years since I split up with the Swedish GF and i've been with this one 14 years and when I swapped to my first set of ergo levers which was at least 13 years after I started cycling and stuff like that, it gives me palpitations.
    Must be even worse for Stevo.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!