26" wheels / 100mm front 135mm rear / disc - recommendation

kinioo
kinioo Posts: 776
edited March 2018 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon All,

I am currently looking for available wheel options for my 'adventure' bike build around Surly Disc Trucker (26") frame.

What would you recommend guys (can be new or second hand)??

What I am after (budget approx 150quid for a set):

- ideally 36holes;
- disc brakes;
- 135mm QR rear;
- 100mm QR front.

Something strong with good hubs...

Thanks guys,

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For a 26” wheel 32 spoke is more than adequate unless we ar3 talking very heavily laden, and you’ll find something good a lot easier.

I’d suggest Shimano hubs, cup and cone has a better load bearing and durability than cartridge, but does need a a little more (simple) TLC, something like a Stans Flow rim and decent spokes, should be just possible on that budget if you shop around.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kinioo
    The Rookie wrote:
    For a 26” wheel 32 spoke is more than adequate unless we ar3 talking very heavily laden, and you’ll find something good a lot easier.

I’d suggest Shimano hubs, cup and cone has a better load bearing and durability than cartridge, but does need a a little more (simple) TLC, something like a Stans Flow rim and decent spokes, should be just possible on that budget if you shop around.

Cheers Rookie,

Yes was thinking about 32H as 36H is quite hard to find in hub sizes I am after...
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Have a look on Superstar Components. 20% off this month with code 'SNOWWAY'.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Also check ebay for a set of good used wheels stans or hope etc
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    I have a set of Hope Tech Enduro wheels that might suit, though they are slightly above your budget. Very lightly used - I bought them just before breaking my frame and my new bike is 27.5 wheels. PM me if you might be interested.
  • kinioo
    I have a set of Hope Tech Enduro wheels that might suit, though they are slightly above your budget. Very lightly used - I bought them just before breaking my frame and my new bike is 27.5 wheels. PM me if you might be interested.

Hi Bungalballs,

I have the same set of wheels on my Giant Anthem... Im quite happy with them.

Was thinking of getting a second set for my 'adventure' project but....cannot afford them at the moment.