Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Wednesday let's all celebrate midweek with beetroot.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,719
edited February 2018 in The bottom bracket
Morning from GMC coffee pot. Just a few hours till home time. Suspect current boss may realise he might have to replace me pretty rapido. OOPS. Being very nice at the moment I wonder why. Currently dry and mild outside.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, Dry and mild here, medical passed, just having a cuppa before I take Tigger out
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,050
    Decent quality of sleep, if not enough

About to take puppy out for a walk and then onto the joys of the motorway system

Later mother in law is over, looking at the dinning room, my plans of a night on the rollers is replaced by dinner and conversation
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,778
    'ning

a sound veg for a sound government, so certainly not this one

office, coffee, cloudy stuff, bail, do some transatlantic smiting
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Up early to attack the day
    Beetroot every day
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,799
    Good night out last night, didn't really need any brekky this morning. As an added bonus, a mate picked up the tab. Now on the train into town for more fun and games.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,588
    Dry and mild here (not that mild, but not cold, just right), nice blast in to work on the bike and it was light the whole way.

Off to look at a wall shortly, then plough on with the big list of stuff I was given to do yesterday.
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    It's not raining and the sun is shining and it's dry. Huzzah.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,934
    Skipped my pre-work run this morning in favour of sleeping (as I have done for the past 4 months) as I was planning to spend the day out on sites shouting at trees, unfortunately I arrived at the office to print some maps to find an almighty argument about some imaginary Goshawks, as you do. Hoping to get out this afternoon if I can, weather looks nice

Off to see Jake Bugg this evening with the GF, it was a Christmas present from her sister, not sure I'm that keen to go...
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Mind numbing accountancy to do as my minion who does this sort of thing has gone to New Zealand. My head hurts as a result, and the new auditors are all excited.
    hopkinb wrote:
    Mind numbing accountancy to do as my minion who does this sort of thing has gone to New Zealand. My head hurts as a result, and the new auditors are all excited.

Apparently everyone I know seems to be either in New Zealand at the moment or planning a trip. My parents are there, and about six friends currently. It's probably expected as pretty much all of my friends are mountain bikers so if they aren't in NZ they are in Canada. Looking forward to my company going t*ts up and moving there full time...
    HaydenM wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

Apparently everyone I know seems to be either in New Zealand at the moment or planning a trip. My parents are there, and about six friends currently. It's probably expected as pretty much all of my friends are mountain bikers so if they aren't in NZ they are in Canada. Looking forward to my company going t*ts up and moving there full time...

I assume there are stacks of trees to bellow at in NZ?

Or would you have to learn to whisper to sheep?
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,081
    Everyone seems to be having a great Wednesday.

Well I'm off work, morning exercise done. Going to browse the web and maybe buy stuff over the day then go collect the new puppy from Wincle mid afternoon.

Time for a coffee, short and dark I feel would be best
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
    hopkinb wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

I assume there are stacks of trees to bellow at in NZ?

Apparently lots of commercial forestry out there, I'd be worried about the ownership/industry methods/politics of it all but I couldn't care less if I was living somewhere nice and could ride my bike. My main sticking point is that I happen to have a job which the pay/benefits are much better than alternatives in the industry, it might not be comparable out there but if I ever came back I'd be taking a step back. Scotland isn't all bad... :?
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,663 Lives Here
    Afternoon folks,
    Crawled out of my deathbed to go to work and sort a few things out. Got sent home after a while as they claimed me coughing lungs up continuously was detrimental to their healths. Problem with being off is having to sort out the screw ups.
    Now back home and going to bed.
    Lad is still in NZ for another day, don’t think he knows HM. Sent us a video of him doing a rather large bungee jump in a cyclone. I always said the boy has no sense.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107
    Afternoon etc, V68 hope your carrying anti plague wipes around with you!

It tried to rain earlier then gave up and retuned to a grey featureless sky. Wiggle browsing yesterday bore fruit in the form of an overpriced Italian windproof so thatll give me something to stare at when it arrives.
    Did some learning today and debating getting the minions to move so we can use the desks overlooking the lake (oooooh) not the worst view in the world. May be a Friday job.
    Step83 wrote:
    Did some learning today and debating getting the minions to move so we can use the desks overlooking the lake (oooooh) not the worst view in the world. May be a Friday job.

I can see 15 rows of desks, with a little glimmer of grey window in the distance in front of me. Behind me are some filing cabinets and bosses' offices, to the side are walls in one direction and rows and rows of desks in the other direction.
    We’ve got bars on our windows. Trump that.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    edited February 2018
    HaydenM wrote:
    Skipped my pre-work run this morning in favour of sleeping (as I have done for the past 4 months) as I was planning to spend the day out on sites shouting at trees, unfortunately I arrived at the office to print some maps to find an almighty argument about some imaginary Goshawks, as you do. Hoping to get out this afternoon if I can, weather looks nice

Off to see Jake Bugg this evening with the GF, it was a Christmas present from her sister, not sure I'm that keen to go...

Jake Bugg - hmmm, could be utterly awful. All his stuff apart from that one big hit he had has been a bit dross.

Jo Wiley was funny a couple of months ago - played his then latest release (some ballad dross that sounded like it had been written by an angst 16 year old - really bad) then faded it straight into Hole’s “Celebrity Skin” - needless to say, mad Courtney blew Jakey boy out of the water.

Car hi-fi immediately cranked up to 11, huge grin, big hand brake turn into drive way. Rockin’

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O3dWBLoU--E Play it loud. Very loud. Covfefe loud.

ROCKIN’

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
    hopkinb wrote:

Just email it all to him, tell him to get it done - due to the time difference - literally yesterday or not bother coming back.

If he messes you about we’ll send V-Man’s son to track him down and kick his head in.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • webboowebboo Posts: 3,830
    I didn’t realise you were allowed the interweb in prison.
    hopkinb wrote:

Just email it all to him, tell him to get it done - due to the time difference - literally yesterday or not bother coming back.

If he messes you about we’ll send V-Man’s son to track him down and kick his head in.

Good plan, except he is a she. She won't do it, she's famously stroppy.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,663 Lives Here
    Lad not great with stripy women, would probably run away as I taught him all I know. Leaves NZ tomorrow and goes to Spinnerland, but not Tas so he can breathe easy.
  • step83step83 Posts: 4,107

I may have even trumped that at my old place, very few single glazed windows which were more held in by physics than any actual anchoring, and every internal door and machinery area was covered in Asbestos warnings .

Speaking of which, anyone been to Cadburys world? They have a giant door in the factory filled with the stuff :roll:
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,724
    @Oxo: You posted before your bedtime! Surely, that's cheating.

Me painting more paint me. Interspersed with door facias; 3" OG FWIW.

My brother did surveying work for the NZ equivalent of the FC. They are taking out millions of tons of Douglas Fir as it's non native despite it being an excellent building timber.

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,719
    Sorry Pinno. It's passed midnight so not cheating
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
    Pinno wrote:
    My brother did surveying work for the NZ equivalent of the FC. They are taking out millions of tons of Douglas Fir as it's non native despite it being an excellent building timber.

Sounds retarded if you ask me. Could do what the Japanese do and have stunning forests then import millions of tonnes of unsustainably grown timber from elsewhere. It does depend on the site though, managing natural forests is completely different to managing plantations on previously unforested land, this is where the UK public and FC seem to disagree though...
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,050
    HaydenM wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Sounds retarded if you ask me. Could do what the Japanese do and have stunning forests then import millions of tonnes of unsustainably grown timber from elsewhere. It does depend on the site though, managing natural forests is completely different to managing plantations on previously unforested land, this is where the UK public and FC seem to disagree though...

Would you buy a small wood if you had the opportunity - mix of oak, beach and silver birch - all established

I already get my timber from it and the kids have various rope swings and zip wires in there. So only buying if my neighbour moves
    TLW1 wrote:
    HaydenM wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Would you buy a small wood if you had the opportunity - mix of oak, beach and silver birch - all established

I already get my timber from it and the kids have various rope swings and zip wires in there. So only buying if my neighbour moves

I would, especially if it was on my doorstep, definitely a dream of mine but I don't have any money. I'd buy a Wood Mizer mobile sawmill and build a hut. Potentially get a banjo and kidnap the local children also. I would be cautious with the price though, most of the valuation work I do is for large scale commercial forests so it is linked to production, quality, access and potential for higher and better use* among other things. With native woodland the value is based on amenity value** and always seems to go for way higher per/ha than I'd like

*Read windfarms, quarries, hydro. Generally anything that makes more money than growing trees and is best hidden in the middle of nowhere
    **Read 'finger in the air'
  • thistle_thistle_ Posts: 5,588
    HaydenM wrote:
    *Read windfarms, quarries, hydro. Generally anything that makes more money than growing trees and is best hidden in the middle of nowhere
    and trail centres :D
    HaydenM wrote:
    and trail centres :D

That too. That was built before we bought it though and it's a headache on many levels. Good to be involved with though