Large block tread 26 in tyres

02gf74
02gf74 Posts: 1,168
edited February 2018 in MTB buying advice
Hello
Looking for a pair of 26 in large block types with wide spacing. Ideally foldable and around 2.1 in wide.

Budget is about £ 15 a tyre so my first choice of Schwalbe Dirty Dan at £ 42.24 is a way out of budget.

The type of tread I am after is:

Schwalbe Dirty Dan:
schwalbe-dirty-dan-26-folding-tubeless-ready-mountain-bike-tyre-EV182581-8500-1.jpg

cheaper Raleigh Extreme Redline Off Road MTB Tyre
53605_1_Zoom.jpg

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Just google 26” folding tyres, you struggle for £15 but plenty available including Dirty Dans for £20-£25.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Decathlon are currently doing Michelin Wild Grip’r in 26” for £16.99.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Do you really need this type of tread pattern, these are generally found on mud tyres.

What about some schwalbe nobby nics?
  • 02gf74
    swod1 wrote:
    Do you really need this type of tread pattern, these are generally found on mud tyres.

?

That's exactly what I want them for, there is much mud at the moment in the trails I ride.
  • swod1
    What about some maxxis medusa in 26x2.1?

Just googled it and some for about 20 per tyre if you look about.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

?

That's exactly what I want them for, there is much mud at the moment in the trails I ride.

You don't want wide then.

You want Specialized Storm Control or Bontrager XR Mud Team Issue. They are by far and away the best mud tyres. Storm Controls are about £20 each.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • 02gf74
    Just to update.

It was always going to be a compromise. In the end went for a pair of Raleigh cst 26 x1. 95 £14 a pair.
    Tall blocks and narrow, should cut down through mud to the solid ground. Don't wobble when fitted as can happen with cheap tyres, down side is weight, being wired, so 940g. :(
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And rubbish hard rubber.

There's a reason they are cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 02gf74
    OK enlighten me, what difference will it make.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Harder = less grip
  • 02gf74
    Is that going to be noticeable in mud/soft ground?
  • swod1
    hard compounds mean the tyre is less flexible and wont grip as much.

940g tyre wow getting into nearly dh weight category there.
  • 02GF74 wrote:
    swod1 wrote:

?

You don't want wide then.

You want Specialized Storm Control or Bontrager XR Mud Team Issue. They are by far and away the best mud tyres. Storm Controls are about £20 each.

I'm going to leave this here, again.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    02GF74 wrote:
    Is that going to be noticeable in mud/soft ground?

It certainly is. When you hit hard, smooth surfaces (rocks, roots, etc) under the mud or sticking up through the mud you may well find yourself going sideways.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    Well you can have a good laugh... as they say, buy cheap, buy twice.

The excess weight weighed om my mind plus comments about grip, so splashed out on pair of continental survival pro, cost £27 but 550g lighter. :)

The blocks are smaller so more clearance and taller. .

Will see how they ride tomorrow.
    Some side by side photos. (conti at rear and on right)

2DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0047-1.JPG
  • 02gf74
    Went out for a ride on the contis and the bike was totally planted no matter how much mud there was. I don't think I felt any sliding at all. Although mud would stick to them, they did not clog up so grip was never reduced, a bit of speed and the mud gets flung off.

Rode on different surface, hard pack, loose stones, chalk (dry) and road and work very well, on loose stones it ft like they were kicked off line more compared to other tyres but nothing to worry about.

On road, which is not the surface they are designed for, get tny vibrations through bars bars but that's the price you pay for having block tread.

So definitely worth getting, for the money, I don't think you can buy better.