Riding on my own

Comments

• chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    cougie wrote:
    Milemuncher are you the dude that does the really low cadence thing all the time ?

It’s relatively low yes.

define low?

Is it low by choice or do you naturally spin slower?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Chris Bass wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    Milemuncher are you the dude that does the really low cadence thing all the time ?

It’s relatively low yes.

define low?

Best not to ask.
    26504713-cartoon-humor-concept-illustration-of-can-of-worms-saying-or-proverb.jpg
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    cougie wrote:

It’s relatively low yes.

define low?

I’ve found ( through trial and error ) that biasing my power output towards Torque, rather than towards Cadence, is less tiring. I also find it easier to maintain a smoother power output ‘graph’ that way, as I’ve found that a spikey power output / time graph, is more tiring. A typical cadence of around 60-70 rpm is about as high as I’d go by choice.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I’ve found ( through trial and error ) that biasing my power output towards Torque, rather than towards Cadence, is less tiring.

Torque is inevitable, regardless of cadence. You can't have one without the other. Try another explanation..
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Brakeless wrote:
    mdhurley wrote:
    Sorry to be anti-social, but I quite like riding on my own with my own thoughts and not having to wait or (more likely) catch up; but I was hoping for a bit of advice.

I want to go further, as I am limited to about 55-60 miles with what I can carry on my bike or in my pockets. I find bags are a PITA, but similarly I don't to carry a heavy bike lock around to stop where I need to. Could also do a figure of 8 around house/car. What would you do in my position, or do you do anything else?

Thanks

Martin

I prefer to ride alone. A jersey with pockets is enough for a short ride ( sub 100 miles ). For a long one ( over 150 miles) I pack a bar bag with food, and carry any tools in my jersey. Anything approaching 300 Kms / up to 200 miles, and I’ll probably ride with a backpack as well. Anything over 200 miles in one go, and I wouldn’t do it solo / unsupported. If I’m riding with a group, it’s totally different. It’s usual to find that amongst the group, all bases are covered, with no one rider bogged down like a Himalayan pack horse. Solo rides have their pluses and minuses, group rides have their pluses and minuses. You have to decide what you want from the ride. Then Improvise, adapt and overcome.

So you class a sub 100 mile ride as short? Guess I need to recalibrate my expectations then....

Don't believe a word this bloke types. 100 miles is a long way in any language.

It's not that far if you do 34 miles and record it three times....
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Imposter wrote:
    I’ve found ( through trial and error ) that biasing my power output towards Torque, rather than towards Cadence, is less tiring.

Torque is inevitable, regardless of cadence. You can't have one without the other. Try another explanation..
    To achieve a certain power output you can use a lower cadence and higher torque or higher cadence and lower torque. Milemuncher is stating that they prefer the first option. I prefer the second.
  • imposter2.0
    wongataa wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

To achieve a certain power output you can use a lower cadence and higher torque or higher cadence and lower torque. Milemuncher is stating that they prefer the first option. I prefer the second.

Torque and cadence are inevitably going to be present at any level of power output. To say you prefer 'torque' rather than 'cadence' demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of the nature of both.
  • wongataa wrote:

Correct. A lot of folk I ride with prefer the Cadence bias. Studies have proved that 90 rpm seems to give the optimum ratio of ‘twitch muscles’ on / ‘twitch muscles’ off time per cycle, however, I’ve found that Cadence too tiring, on an endurance length ride, for me. It makes my heart rate too high, for comfort.
  • Simon E wrote:
    mdhurley wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. Just have to plan my routes a bit better, as the way I sweat and drink, I can only to about 50k with 2 bidons.

One follow up question: I take Science in Sport drinks around with me, but obviously can't get that at a shop/garage en route, so does anyone take any powder with them, or is it just straight water and a bit of food?
    I don't bother with food or drink at all if it's under 2 hours. Otherwise water, banana and a couple of bars - snickers, flapjack or pop into a shop on longer rides (I carry a cheap combination lock).

2 bottles in 30 miles? Blimey! :shock: You don't need energy drinks, IMHO you'd be better off eating normal food. And your dentist won't thank you for drinking that stuff, it's proper tooth rot.

If you sweat a lot why not wear fewer layers? Better to be chilly for the first couple of miles than soggy after 15. I sometimes put a 5p carrier bag under my windproof first thing, I can stuff it in a pocket once I've warmed up.

As an update, 2 for 30 maybe a bit of an exaggeration; but did a 37-mile ride yesterday. Bottle of squash before, 2 750ml electrolyte during and protein shake and another squash after. Still got cramp in the afternoon after what was a fairly gentle ride. Have to force myself to drink or the cramp and dehydration is horrendous afterwards. Suppose the solutions are obvious really.
  • mdhurley wrote:
    Simon E wrote:
    mdhurley wrote:
    Thanks for the replies. Just have to plan my routes a bit better, as the way I sweat and drink, I can only to about 50k with 2 bidons.

One follow up question: I take Science in Sport drinks around with me, but obviously can't get that at a shop/garage en route, so does anyone take any powder with them, or is it just straight water and a bit of food?
    I don't bother with food or drink at all if it's under 2 hours. Otherwise water, banana and a couple of bars - snickers, flapjack or pop into a shop on longer rides (I carry a cheap combination lock).

2 bottles in 30 miles? Blimey! :shock: You don't need energy drinks, IMHO you'd be better off eating normal food. And your dentist won't thank you for drinking that stuff, it's proper tooth rot.

If you sweat a lot why not wear fewer layers? Better to be chilly for the first couple of miles than soggy after 15. I sometimes put a 5p carrier bag under my windproof first thing, I can stuff it in a pocket once I've warmed up.

As an update, 2 for 30 maybe a bit of an exaggeration; but did a 37-mile ride yesterday. Bottle of squash before, 2 750ml electrolyte during and protein shake and another squash after. Still got cramp in the afternoon after what was a fairly gentle ride. Have to force myself to drink or the cramp and dehydration is horrendous afterwards. Suppose the solutions are obvious really.

You may find that you do have to consciously make yourself drink, because by the time you need to drink, it’s already too late to stop any issues.
  • imposter2.0
    mdhurley wrote:

Your cramp is more likely a symptom of your current fitness level, rather than not drinking enough - because you seem to be drinking an unfeasibly large amount of fluids already, especially for this time of year.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Imposter wrote:
    mdhurley wrote:

Your cramp is more likely a symptom of your current fitness level, rather than not drinking enough - because you seem to be drinking an unfeasibly large amount of fluids already, especially for this time of year.
    Also, it is possible to flush your system.
    PS - A tip I got is if you find yourself licking your lips then You've not been drinking enough.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • OP - do you drink a lot usually - ie compared to other people?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    As a kid I used to cramp up on the last steep hill of the ride fairly often. Never done it since so I assume mine was down to my fitness and not being used to that kind of effort and duration.

OP - Your fluid intake seems excessive to me - and people have died through drinking too much in marathons - you're better off to have less than too much. all that guff about the body's performance suffers massively if you're slightly dehydrated ? Wasn't that Lucozade that sponsored the studies ?
  • OP - do you drink a lot usually - ie compared to other people?

I do generally. Another issue I have is I get headaches/migraines if I don't drink enough so probably over-compensate to ensure I don't.

Regarding general fitness, it is probably true. I am a large man, using cycling to lose weight.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Imposter wrote:
    mdhurley wrote:

I'm inclined to agree. Are you really dehydrated after drinking all that? If so then I'd suggest that you see a doctor.

Also if you're wanting to be well hydrated why not use plain water at least some of the time?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    mdhurley wrote:
    OP - do you drink a lot usually - ie compared to other people?

I do generally. Another issue I have is I get headaches/migraines if I don't drink enough so probably over-compensate to ensure I don't.

Regarding general fitness, it is probably true. I am a large man, using cycling to lose weight.
    If you are riding to lose weight you can really do without the 2 bottles of squash and protein shake for a 37 mile ride. You should really be able to do that with consuming any more energy than you would normally do. It should be achievable with just some water.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think a visit to the doctor might be in order. Just to check out this thirst of yours ?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Get checked for Diabetes.
  • If you over do the drinking and don’t replace electrolytes at the same time, you end up with low electrolyte concentrations, which can actually kill you, if it’s severe enough.
  • imposter2.0
    If you over do the drinking and don’t replace electrolytes at the same time, you end up with low electrolyte concentrations, which can actually kill you, if it’s severe enough.

Yeah sure, if you manage to ignore the muscle spasms, abdominal pain, cramps and convulsions in the interim. Earlier, you were urging him to drinnk more.. :roll:
  • Imposter wrote:
    If you over do the drinking and don’t replace electrolytes at the same time, you end up with low electrolyte concentrations, which can actually kill you, if it’s severe enough.

Yeah sure, if you manage to ignore the muscle spasms, abdominal pain, cramps and convulsions in the interim. Earlier, you were urging him to drinnk more.. :roll:

https://www.healthline.com/health/overhydration

And I was urging him to drink more, but make sure it was electrolytically balanced drink / Isotonic.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Anything will kill you if it's severe enough. :roll: No need for scaremongering. In the UK most people would struggle to use the body's electrolytes, especially in Winter. Don't believe the hype.

The OP is riding 37 miles but appears to be fuelling/hydrating for 100.

If you want to learn some facts about salt, sugar, water etc listen to Prof. Graham MacGregor on BBC radio 4 last year. Well worth a listen:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n2ltq
    (28 minutes, mp3 download available)
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    cougie wrote:
    And if you're not stopping for cake I'm not sure if you're even cycling. ;-)

Personally, I'd love some company on my rides, but I'm slow and fat and useless. But I've done 100+ miles with what I need in pockets, saddle pack and bottles; water stops are about all you need.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    But then you miss out on cake !
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Unless its hot I drink no more on a ride than when not on a ride and have never bothered with energy supplements - just plain water in a single bottle.

If it is hot I find it useless drinking to keep cool. Much better squirt water over your head or back so long as it is only water!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Does depend how long your bike ride is I guess. One bottle for me in winter, two in the summer when I'm out for longer.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    awavey wrote:
    Im not as trusting of people, so if Im going on a long ride that involves a cafe/pub stop somewhere, I always carry a lock, its a fairly lightweight cable lock I can wrap around the top tube so its not a pain to carry, sure it wouldnt stand up much to a determined thief, but its just for my piece of mind.

It's worth remembering that most insurance companies insist on a bike lock. If your bike did get stolen without a lock then the insurance probably won't pay out.

I also use a lightweight cable lock to stop my bike from falling over. Firstly from idiots who can't be trusted not to knock into your bike, I've seen plenty of cyclists at a cafe stop who have no care or respect for the other bikes on a bike rack, as they throw their bike around.
    And I've had it blown over by the wind a couple of times and it resulted in a bent hanger and maybe a damaged rear derailleur.

Regarding water, I naturally don't drink much and get away with one bottle, even on a hot day. I place a storage case in the other bottle cage.

When I was training for a marathon, I'd drive long routes the night before and place bottles of water and energy gels behind a wall or bush.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Another vote for what Webboo said above, as a diabetic I'd get yourself checked out.

Drinking a lot is one of the indicators that you may be diabetic. Basically if you are not producing enough insulin (type 2) or you are not producing any insulin (type 1) your blood gets saturated with excess sugar and becomes gloopy. Your body tries to compensate by adding more and more water to it to dilute it. Which makes you very thirsty (and also make you piss a lot).

Even if it's just for you piece of mind I'd get to the GP and get checked - its a very quick simple test.
  • JSBR
    JSBR Posts: 13
    If you don't mind cycling with something on your back, what about a hydration pack? Plenty of space for food and 2-3 litres of water.