turned out foot and clipless shoes

Dazzab
Dazzab Posts: 2
edited January 2018 in Road beginners
I've been considering buying a pair of clipless pdeals and shoes for my road bike. I'm considering MTB clips as I would like to be able to walk around in the shoe more easily.

My concern about buying clipless shoes and pedals is that my one foot turns out a few degrees. If I twist my foot to clip in, my knee will then twist in further and I can only see that causing knee or hip issues. Does this mean clipless are a no-go or are there solutions out there for this?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Set the cleat so your foot is in its natural turned out position.
  • TonyJams
    TonyJams Posts: 214
    My feet turn out a bit - My Shimano SPD shoes and cleats allow that, they aren't as rigid as say a set of LOOKs would be, much more play in them.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Dazzab wrote:
    My concern about buying clipless shoes and pedals is that my one foot turns out a few degrees. If I twist my foot to clip in, my knee will then twist in further and I can only see that causing knee or hip issues.
    You don't twist to clip in, only out. You also set the angle of the cleat on the shoe so your foot is pointing in its natural direction when pedalling (otherwise you would hurt your knees etc). So if you foot points outward normally, it will do so on the pedal.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    My bike fit identified my left foot as pointing out a little bit. It was easy to overcome; angle the cleat to compensate so that it clips in correctly and leaves your foot pointing where it wants to point. That assumes it's not a massive deflection obvs.
  • animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    Go for something with plenty of float, my other half has a similar problem to you and uses Crank Bros Egg Beaters.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shouldn't be an issue
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have 10 to 2 feet. I use SPD cleats and shoes without a problem.
  • adlopa
    adlopa Posts: 37
    There's usually enough adjustment with cleats to cope with a range of foot positions and those with float give plenty of movement while clipped in -- I have a similar problem with one foot and have no issues with Shimano cleats and pedals. I started with Time Xpresso pedals, which offer tons of float, but the cleats only last about 20 minutes... I'd suggest giving cleats a try with a cheap set up.
  • lesfirth wrote:
    I have 10 to 2 feet. I use SPD cleats and shoes without a problem.
    +1
  • My feet turn out quite a lot (although the left one not so much anymore - I broke that leg and swear that the surgeon put it back together straighter than it was before).

Speedplay pedals were the answer for me.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • milemuncher1
    milemuncher1 Posts: 1,472
    Look for multi release cleats.

https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-sh5 ... gLux_D_BwE

I use them on my Hybrids. You can just step out of the pedal, no twist required.