Numb rear. Saddle, shorts or both?

ajdobbin
ajdobbin Posts: 41
edited February 2018 in Road beginners
I’m fairly new to road cycling and have gradually been building my distances over the last 3 months. Did my first 100km yesterday (the routes in Cornwall are never flat!).

I have been noticing recently that when I get around the 3 hours of riding time my rear gets quite uncomfortable, numb and achy. I don’t suffer from saddle sores (luckily) but it’s just the dull pain throughout my nether regions that is almost becoming painful at longer distances.

Is this more likely to be a saddle issue (fairly cheap saddle that came with my bike, Selle Italia Q-bik) or a bib short issue (DHB Aerons)

If you could recommend shorts/saddles for longer distances that would be even better as I’ve signed up for a couple of 100 mile sportive next year.

Thanks

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    No-one can give you absolute advice on this.

Saddles and shorts and comfort are a very personal thing. Mostly all you can do is experiment and hope to find the right combination of clothing, saddle and riding position. Time in the saddle will help get your backside conditioned. Standing up on the move will help keep the blood flowing. Avoid soft saddles, generally.

Firstly you need to make sure that your bike set up is right. That includes the angle or level of the saddle. Once you are satisfied that is right then try different saddles.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    No-one can give you absolute advice on this.

Saddles and shorts and comfort are a very personal thing. Mostly all you can do is experiment and hope to find the right combination of clothing, saddle and riding position. Time in the saddle will help get your backside conditioned. Standing up on the move will help keep the blood flowing. Avoid soft saddles, generally.

Firstly you need to make sure that your bike set up is right. That includes the angle or level of the saddle. Once you are satisfied that is right then try different saddles.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I appreciate its a personal thing, just interested to hear how people rectified similar problems of their own.

I’m pretty sure I’ve got my bike set up about right, experimented with saddle height/angle/Fore aft etc when I first started riding. I am thinking of a bike fit in the new year though, do you think this would be the best thing to do before buying a new saddle or shorts?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Those shorts are good for me for 100+ miles but your bum might be different.

It could just be that your bum isnt used to the distance yet - it should get better with time.
  • Fenix wrote:
    Those shorts are good for me for 100+ miles but your bum might be different.

It could just be that your bum isnt used to the distance yet - it should get better with time.

Yeah a lot of the reviews I read said they were good for 100+ rides. The only thing that’s making me think it’s not a saddle issue is that I think (maybe wrongly) that any saddle issues would become apparent well before 3 hours of riding
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Rather than a full bike-fit it would be worth doing some basic checks to make sure the fit is as good as you can get it without paying for it. I understand that the tilt/angle can have a significant effect but, again, that could be unique to the person.

There was a saddle swap place on this forum. You could try there before buying different saddles.

Try here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40112
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It is worth getting into the habit of standing out of the saddle for a short while every few miles to allow the blood flow to get to the compressed areas. This more than anything works for me.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Could be the wrong width saddle, worth doing a sit bone test. I'm only 61kg and 166cm but have wide sit bones.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Yes, check your sit bone width. I need a narrow saddle. If I ride anything over 135mm wide, I get exactly the symptoms you describe.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997
    Another vote for sit bone width. I bought a narrow Brooks B17 for touring this summer, 9 days in the saddle and absolutely no complaints. This might sound a tad weird but as soon as it's socially acceptable I will be marrying it :lol:

Don't think I'll be wearing a white dress to the wedding though...
  • zefs
    zefs Posts: 484
    Thing is some experts recommend a saddle width of sitbone measurement + 20-30mm extra.
    Saddle cutouts also seem to cause issues like more pressure on the sides but they fix the numbness problem.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Try lowering your saddle height incrementally by as much as 15 to 20mm or so, bare with it feeling strange for a while. It maybe that your perched too high and a lot of your body's weight is being disproportionately placed through your backside rather than being shared more through your pedals. If that works you will then be better equipped to make a discission whether to change the saddle or not. Fore and aft saddle adjustment unless way out shouldn't affect your problem. Wrongly adjusted fore aft affects lower back and knees in my experience. One last point, try setting out with saddle level across horizontal. As far as hills, I feel your pain I'm located in your neck of the woods too.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Svetty wrote:
    It is worth getting into the habit of standing out of the saddle for a short while every few miles to allow the blood flow to get to the compressed areas. This more than anything works for me.

Thanks for everyone’s advice.

Just a quick update incase others are in the same boat.
    I have actively been making an effort to get out of the saddle more than usual, and after a 5+hour ride the numbness was not a problem. Same saddle, same shorts.
    Would still like to invest in a proper bike fit in the next month or so though.
  • Martnw
    Martnw Posts: 27
    I maybe need better shorts as ive tried a few saddles and no luck. Let me know if you found a good saddle.

Martyn
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Martnw wrote:
    ..... ive tried a few saddles and no luck. Let me know if you found a good saddle.

Martyn

Good thinking if you have a similar sized and shaped a**e... :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm a tiny bloke but apparently have wide sitbones. First few saddles were painful after a couple of hours because of that. First saddle I found comfortable for day long rides was a Brooks B17. Looked a bit odd on a carbon bike, but I didn't care. Armchair comfortable. Seems I need a wide, flat bit at the rear.

When I spotted somebody selling a 155 Specialized Power cheapish I was intrigued by the shape and took a punt. Reasoned it would provide a similar shape to the rear of the Brooks, but with a cutout and less weight. Stuck that on the carbon bike, where it looks at home, and moved the B17 to the alu winter bike with mudguards. The Brooks somehow suits it.

First proper ride on the Power was a 60 mile sponsored event. Turned out to be brilliantly comfortable; never once thought about my backside. So for me it's all about saddle width and shape.

Only later out of curiosity I asked if I could sit on the @ssometer in the bike shop. Bloke said I'd need a 155 width Power :D
  • Another +1 for standing once in a while.

Especially if you live somewhere that hills don't force you out of the saddle.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Possibly not a problem for the OP in Cornwall !
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    ajdobbin wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

I have actively been making an effort to get out of the saddle more than usual, and after a 5+hour ride the numbness was not a problem. Same saddle, same shorts.

I seem to have brief numbness after a couple of hours - a few quick strokes out of the saddle and it goes - as does stopping for a slash !
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    kingrollo wrote:
    ajdobbin wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

I seem to have brief numbness after a couple of hours - a few quick strokes out of the saddle and it goes - as does stopping for a slash !

:shock: