Prime Disc Carbon Clincher Wheels - Worth it?

mikeyj28
mikeyj28 Posts: 754
edited December 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Seen these on CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prim ... prod142958

for £500. Yes I know they aren't the same as some ENVE carbon wheels or Zipp but I guess for the price (and being able to accommodate discs), they seem to do the job.

Would you purchase these or are they simply a waste of money and only good for tarting the bike up a bit? they are a good 400g lighter than my stock wheels at the mo (basic Giant disc wheels), which will make a difference but do you think I'd be better putting my money on a lighter wheelset (e.g. Mavic Ksyrium Disc wheels)?
Yes, I could go handbuilt but would want a relative bargain £500-600ish.

Thanks
Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.

Comments

• You'll notice a slight difference with that weight saving on the wheel weight. Whether that's worth the money to you, only you can answer.

If you're hung up on Enves like your post suggests, keep saving.
  • mikeyj28
    Chadders81 wrote:
    You'll notice a slight difference with that weight saving on the wheel weight. Whether that's worth the money to you, only you can answer.

If you're hung up on Enves like your post suggests, keep saving.

Thanks for the response. I'm not hung up on Enves, although I have ridden some and loved them. I don't have the patience to save for a set of those and also the wife would not be happy, considering the amount I have spent on my carbon FS for XC racing.
    I just want to replace my lardy stock wheels from my TCR with a lighter set, but something that is also practical and where you get a lot for you money.
    Just more concerned whether there will be a good enough benefit or am I just being lured in by the price & the aesthetics?
    Constantly trying to upgrade my parts.It is a long road ahead as things are so expensive for little gain. n+1 is always the principle in my mind.
  • They look a decent price and we all get lured in by aesthetics ultimately.

Once you've decided you want some fast wheels, there's not really any way back from there until you own some.
  • phil485
    phil485 Posts: 364
    The tricky bit to the question is the same conundrum i am facing. I really want some bora one clincher but struggle to justify the cost. If I bought something like these prime wheels I would have deep carbon wheels that at my level would probably be as good as the bora's, but I think I would still want the bora's.

That's why I am Still riding my Integra wheels.
  • mikeyj28
    Phil485 wrote:
    The tricky bit to the question is the same conundrum i am facing. I really want some bora one clincher but struggle to justify the cost. If I bought something like these prime wheels I would have deep carbon wheels that at my level would probably be as good as the bora's, but I think I would still want the bora's.

That's why I am Still riding my Integra wheels.

Haha, you're not alone with the thought process!!
    The problem is that I really don't think I'd gain much of a benefit from the aero part as they are in effect mid section wheels. But I want a balance, and maybe there are better wheels in the same price bracket which will serve me better.
  • The 50mm are only £30 more, if you want the deep(er) section aesthetic - and you can get 10% off if you have British Cycling membership (and if not, then the yearly membership at £37 would be less than the £53 (or £50 if you went with the 38mm)).

Plus there's only about 70g difference.

I have actually just bought the 50mm rim brake version, I haven't used them yet or even fitted them to the frame, but they do look very nice - and the 'black' decals are more subtle than the photos suggest. Of course you may want the contrast of the white decals.
  • At that price then the following would work for you, although those Prime's look a bargain:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbonal-38m ... 25c8ef0bb4
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    I've just got a set of rim brake Prime wheels and I am really, really impressed by them - not just for the cost, but full-stop. The braking feels better than the Reynolds Assaults I also own, and that's bearing in mind that the weather hasn't exactly been kind recently.

Given you're going for the disc version I'd say it is even more a no-brainer over something like Ksyriums. You'll not notice a big enough difference to justify £100's more, let along £1000's for ENVEs.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have a prime wheel in for rebuilding. It broke several spokes. That's a sample of one but wheels should not fail like this.

That however is the only problem I can see. There appears to be nothing wrong with the rims and nowt wrong with novatec hubs. In fact i wonder if these are rebadged novatec wheels.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I have some rp-50 disc brake wheels which I have ridden for just over 1900km since September. They're great, though I don't have any experience of £1000+ carbon wheels to compare them to. They misbehave slightly in very gusty cross-winds, but apart from that, they are still true, they are plenty stiff, and make a good whom-whom noise when you start motoring. Because discs, I'm going to ride them all year.
  • mikeyj28
    Thanks guys for all of the responses. One set has been ordered.
  • mikeyj28
    Thanks guys for all of your responses.

I have taken the plunge and bought a set. Waiting for them to be delivered.

Thanks again
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    mikeyj28 wrote:
    Thanks guys for all of your responses.

I have taken the plunge and bought a set. Waiting for them to be delivered.

Thanks again

thinking of getting these myself to go on my CAAD12 Disc, what are they like in the flesh?
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!