XC Mountain bike

joey54321
joey54321 Posts: 1,297
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
I've been cross racing for two years (road racing for ~11) now and looking to get in to XC mountain biking. I live in East Anglia so I imagine it'll be mostly tamer courses and races that I end up doing.

I was looking for some advice choosing between the following (or indeed anything else to consider):

BMC Teamelite TE02 Deore/SLX 2017 - £1300: Reduced by £850 and still the most expensive. Not sure I like the idea of a 2x system after running 1x on my cross bike. I think also the heaviest of the bikes. However, the most discounted so does that make it the best?

Giant XTC Advanced 29 3 2017 - £1050: Not sure I like the boost stuff but other than that looks good. I prefer SRAM for road/cross and I am wondering if it will make things like bleeding brakes easier if I only have to have one bleed kit/method of doing things (is the bleed process similar for road hydro vs mtb hydro?)

On one Maccatuskil: Probably the most budget option. I have had a Planet X bike for 6 or 7 years, a lovely road Ti bike and before that I have a pro carbon SL. I know they get a lot of stick but I think some of their bikes are great value (but I don't know if this one is). Again, I like the simplicity of SRAM 1x groupsets. Also have the option of choosing between SRAM NX1 (£999) or SRAM GX Eagle (£1200)

I will hopefully be using the cycle to work voucher but have been told I can top up the value for the bikes that are over £1k.

Any thoughts, advice, etc...

Also, any thoughts on sizing? I am ~5ft 11 and normally ride a 54cm road bike with a 12-13cm stem and quite a bit of seatpost. I am thinking 'medium' for the bikes above but not really sure how road bike fit translates to MTB fit

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Road fit and MTB fit are two very different things. It's fit out of the saddle which really matters for bike control.. Bike fit just doesn't work for MTB. It'll be a case of buy the best fit you can find and then tweak to suit after riding.
    Those are all quite racey xc bikes, not not very forgiving handling and harsh ride quality.