Chain wear on 11 speed Shimano

sextoke1
sextoke1 Posts: 133
edited November 2017 in Workshop
I normally change my chain on my 6870 36/52..11/28 GS bike every 2,500 kms. My last few chains have been Dura ace hg901. The chain I have taken off the bike had done 4,800 kms. I have being checking it with the Park tool checker, and a short while ago it passed the 0.5 mark and it did not get to the 0.75 mark. Why did I leave it on this long ? I had got a Shimano TL-CN42 chain checker and I did check it every few weeks along with the Park tool one. When I changed the chain, the Shimano tool still said I had another few kms left on the chain. I feel for the chain I have on now, I will change it using the Park tool at the setting of 0.5. I was only using the Dura ace chain as it had more PTFE on the parts and the cost was not a hugh difference. Had anyone any thought of chain wear tools or type of chain to use

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Can of worms. Your going to be told to run hang your chain the measure with a ruler. In reality you can run your chain until the shifting deteriorates if you are using a cheap cassette. If you are using expensive cassettes then change your chain early. Good chainrings seem to wear slowly regardless. I get up to 4000 to 6000km from my cheap kmc chains. I do bin the cassette though when I'm done. Winter is harder on the drive train.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I just measure the length of 24 links under tension with a good engineers rule and change the chain when the 24 links measure 12-1/16", which is 0.5% wear. For me that's usually somewhere around the 10,000km mark, and my wife, who's considerably lighter and not a gear masher, probably gets about 50% further from a chain before it needs replacing. Usually change the cassette every two chains. That's using either 105 or Ultegra 11-speed chains with weekly cleaning using the Park chain cleaner.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Can of worms. Your going to be told to run hang your chain the measure with a ruler. In reality you can run your chain until the shifting deteriorates if you are using a cheap cassette. If you are using expensive cassettes then change your chain early. Good chainrings seem to wear slowly regardless. I get up to 4000 to 6000km from my cheap kmc chains. I do bin the cassette though when I'm done. Winter is harder on the drive train.

This

I use middle of the range KMC chains and Ultegra cassettes - they last a good couple of years as I clean and lube them properly every week.

When worn out just smash them with a hammer, set fire to them with fire and and chuck them in next door's garden.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    My Campag 11sp chains last about 3000 miles, I can feel it when they are stretched as they don't ride over the chainring so smoothly and you can see the amount of stretch by lifting the chain off the chainring with your fingers.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • sextoke1
    sextoke1 Posts: 133
    Thanks for that. I did check the chain with a metal rule two chains ago. Found the HG901 Dura ace chain did not stretch too much between the centres of the pins. Where I sawthe wear was in the rollers, the outer surface of the pins seemed to have worn.

The cassette that I have used on this bike up to now were two 11/28 CS-6800, one for summer and one for winter. I got a sprocket wear checker & the six laragest sprockes are a little worn, they are heading for the bin for a CS-R8000 11/30 cassette.