"Silver" Destinations

laurentian
laurentian Posts: 2,399
edited October 2017 in The cake stop
Mrs Laurentian and I celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary next year.

We both like to travel and cycle and have been on cycling holidays in SE Asia a few times in the last few years which have been great - we have just got back from Bhutan where we did a tiny amount of pedalling.

Rather than buying something silver, I am thinking of taking her on holiday (preferably cycling) to a (warm) destination which has "Silver" in it's name or that is in some way related to silver. We both like Asia and both have a hankering to visit South America but would consider anything at this time.

Any ideas folks??
Wilier Izoard XP

Comments

  • ricky_h-2
    ricky_h-2 Posts: 119
    That's an easy one, the via de la Plata, Seville to Santiago in Spain. Not done it myself yet but it's on the list
  • Argentina?

    (Argentum being latin for silver)
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    Argentina?

    (Argentum being latin for silver)

    Like it!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Cotswolds.
    Ben

    Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    Ricky h wrote:
    That's an easy one, the via de la Plata, Seville to Santiago in Spain. Not done it myself yet but it's on the list

    looks like a great ride - not sure if we could achieve it (900+ km) in the time available (10 days) but I'll investigate - thank you.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Not sure about a silver tie-in, but Japan is apparently a great place to ride. Currently organising my own ride their for early next year. Warms up around April, when the blossom is in full swing. I can recommend a company if you are interested.

    Cheers,
    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Silverknowes Prom - North Edinburgh!!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    pottssteve wrote:
    Not sure about a silver tie-in, but Japan is apparently a great place to ride. Currently organising my own ride their for early next year. Warms up around April, when the blossom is in full swing. I can recommend a company if you are interested.

    Cheers,
    Steve

    That's also a place we've thought about - I have a friend out there and, risking Mrs L's ire, there is also the rugby world cup there in 2019. Would be grateful if you could forward the company details
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,033
    http://www.silvercometga.com/

    Alternatively you could cycle the Silver Trail but that's in Alaska so probably not warm.

    Argentina and Peru were the old Spanish silver trade routes though.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    laurentian wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Not sure about a silver tie-in, but Japan is apparently a great place to ride. Currently organising my own ride their for early next year. Warms up around April, when the blossom is in full swing. I can recommend a company if you are interested.

    Cheers,
    Steve

    That's also a place we've thought about - I have a friend out there and, risking Mrs L's ire, there is also the rugby world cup there in 2019. Would be grateful if you could forward the company details


    No problem. I am using a company called Cycling Japan, mainly as I will be there in March and they are able to organise a tour early in the year. They have been very professional in my dealings with them. They run a variety of tours during the year. Summer in Hokkaido would be nice, I reckon. There are other companies available though, which also get good reviews online. I think it's hard to go wrong in Japan ; I have been there a couple of times and arrangements are invariably smooth and efficient. I don't know when you plan to go but it can be expensive at certain times, especially during the blossom season, and the rugby world cup would obviously push the price up.

    Hope this helps.

    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    Really appreciate that Steve - thank you
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,399
    Pross wrote:
    http://www.silvercometga.com/

    Alternatively you could cycle the Silver Trail but that's in Alaska so probably not warm.

    Argentina and Peru were the old Spanish silver trade routes though.

    Another idea! thanks
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    laurentian wrote:
    Really appreciate that Steve - thank you

    No worries. I hope you get something nice sorted out.

    Steve
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs