New to Zwift - what connects to what?

Bullet1
Bullet1 Posts: 161
Having used Trainer Road 18 months ago, Zwift appears to have firmly overtaken it so making the move imminently.

Having it all set up in the garage will be my best bet - keeps the wife happy and pretty much ready to go.

So question is, how best to set it up and what talks to what?
I’ve got both iPhone and an iPad mini and MacBook, can get my hands on a 32” TV - is it worth just buying Apple TV tv to mirror or would a chrome cast do the same?
I’ve a Wahoo Kickr too and a Garmin520 and a Fenix 3. Do folk wire up their Garmin too or just get the Kickr to sync straight with their iOS device? Re cadence etc Got a Garmin sensor - how does that fit in?
Thanks

Comments

• Have a look at Shane Millers youtube chanel, He has pretty much covered it all.

Sounds like you have all the equipment, just load the free Zwift trial and connect your trainer via Bluetooth as a controllable trainer, you will want a fan and hr monitor is handy too, the garage is your best bet.

I always run my 520 too, it picks up all the data and I like to have the option of looking at the head unit as well as the screen.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • My Elite muin B+ connects directly to zwift on the ipad mini, my cadence sensor also does although im not sure which zwift uses (think it ignores it as the zwift reading is diferent to my wahoo). Ive not connected my wahoo even though it is on the bike. Zwift will upload to strava if you so wish.

Zwift on the Ipad mini is quite small to see the details of some of the info when riding so a bigger screen would be of benefit.
    Chromcast wise ive heard that it doesnt work with chromcast, a cable dirrect to tv is best but not tried that yet
  • Not meaning to hijack your thread but I'm wanting to know the same. I have a broken collarbone and a bike with a powermeter (power 2 max). I can probably borrow a very basic trainer (non smart) but then want to know what else I need to get started ...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I wouldn't say Zwift has taken over from TrainerRoad, they're two very different things. TR is for structured workouts, Zwift is more of an arcade game, even though it does have workouts on it. It all depends on whether you want to see moving images and the added attraction of "riding" with others, or want a detailed training plan and are happy to motivate/distract yourself by other means such as watching a vid, listening to music etc.

A P2M will have a built in cadence sensor, so all you need is a turbo, ANT+ dongle (P2M isn't bluetooth) and if you want it, a heart rate monitor. Be mindful though, that Zwift doesn't like doing bluetooth over the Windows platform if you're using a Windows PC.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.