Tacx flux

bianchimoon
bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
am going to upgrade from old dumb trainer to the Flux shortly, anyone own one and has any thoughts good, bad, indifferent? also anyone found better prices than the google 'lead you to' shops? TIA
All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....

Comments

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    My local LBS price matched wiggle which was comforting as I was on my second Flux within a day. Replaced within 24 hours so everything is cool in that respect.

Since then everything has worked perfectly, ERG mode is great which gives you one less thing to think about. It doesn't have the extra functionality of the NEO but I haven't missed those aspects yet. Build quality is fine, it's a heavy bit of kit and set up is straightforward.

The Tacx app is pretty awful whilst the videos and plans seem expensive compared to the market place.

The only competition I compared the flux to was the Kickr 2 which was having a few bad reviews on wiggle although the flux has a Facebook page of issues but seemed the more resilient of the two. I aspect I bore in mind was a context for the negative feedback and it seems online is a great landing pad to encapsulate all the issues and remedies in one place, however people who are happy with their purchase don't usually post.

So I'd recommend supporting your LBS with the purchase, any issues and use them to sort the problem. Use your credit card which then triggers the consumer credit act and the credit provider is jointly and severably liable for the provision of goods.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • good points, i have read these reports about reliability as well, but as you say my LBS is prepared to price match so they can resolve any issues, what are the xtra features of the neo that you say you haven't missed yet?, at double the price they must be good?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ahh it's ok just read the powered downhill and 25% incline as opposed to 10%.. i can live with those
  • I have just purchase one from my LBS last week, and at the moment I am having issues with the resistance on the unit. It seems to be higher than it should be for the power being applied. I am currently around 50w on average down on my previous trainer for the same effort.

I am in the process of trying to resolve this issue with Tacx at the moment.

Here's hoping they can resolve the issue.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I got mine from my LBS about 6 weeks ago and it has worked perfectly since. It was the same price as online and they fitted the cassette for me with the correct spacer and properly indexed the gears of my bike for me. They say that they have sold loads of them and had no problems. The facebook page is full of doom and gloom and there have clearly been issues particularly with earlier models but i think the majority are well satisfied with what is a brilliant bit of kit and at a good price. Works bloomin luvly with zwift!
  • I certainly wouldn't be buying a 2nd hand FLUX or old stock model, but the latest ones seem to be doing alright. The Facebook groups are always full of complaints and problems because that's where people go to vent and find solutions when their product breaks!

I've got a NEO and the powered downhill isn't a huge selling feature. Sure it's nice when you stop pedalling down the back of Box Hill and the thing keeps spinning, but it's no deal breaker. Also some people rave about the road feel vibrations too, but I've never even turned it on.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    My main concern about the spec of the Flux is the max 10% gradient simulation.

Wondering if any owners can comment if they've found that to be a noticeable limitation in practice?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I have a Flux and a Flow, no problems with either. If I want a >10% climb I go for a ride outside.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    MrB123 wrote:
    My main concern about the spec of the Flux is the max 10% gradient simulation.

Wondering if any owners can comment if they've found that to be a noticeable limitation in practice?

Not at all. It wasn't an issue when I bought the flux and a none existent problem when I've been using it over the last seven weeks
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • bianchimoon
    Thanks for the input guys, I'll buy using a credit card from a LBS and if any of the 'old' issues occur at least i'll have some protection.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I've got a NEO and the powered downhill isn't a huge selling feature. Sure it's nice when you stop pedalling down the back of Box Hill and the thing keeps spinning, but it's no deal breaker. Also some people rave about the road feel vibrations too, but I've never even turned it on.

I dont actually notice the downhill feature, as I keep pedalling on the way down Watopia Mountain.

The road feel vibrations are surprisingly good, I can imagine thats what cycling over a wooden bridge feels like. However I wonder what the people living below me think when my Neo starts to shake?

Is the max incline on the Flux 10% ? Ive noticed that parts of Watopia Mountain are steeper than that. One part of the Radio Tower Climb gets to a distressing 17%.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • bianchimoon
    ben@31 wrote:

I dont actually notice the downhill feature, as I keep pedalling on the way down Watopia Mountain.

The road feel vibrations are surprisingly good, I can imagine thats what cycling over a wooden bridge feels like. However I wonder what the people living below me think when my Neo starts to shake?

Is the max incline on the Flux 10% ? Ive noticed that parts of Watopia Mountain are steeper than that. One part of the Radio Tower Climb gets to a distressing 17%.
    If thats the case, does Zwift recalculate/callibrate the power from the Flux to make it 17% in the same way it does on a dumb trainer? you can't be having flux riders getting an unfair advantage!!
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    On Zwift the gradient slider is set to 50% normally anyway, so unless you've changed it on your options menu you will only ever be seeing 8.5%
  • bianchimoon
    Dannbodge wrote:
    On Zwift the gradient slider is set to 50% normally anyway, so unless you've changed it on your options menu you will only ever be seeing 8.5%
    ah ta, just setting up now thanks for all advice comments