cross is back . 2017/18 inc spoiler .

2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    Don't forget there's a UCI level race at Abergavenny this Sunday which is the highest level race in the UK this season. If you can't get there to watch live then there is live TV coverage on S4C (not sure if they'll have red button English commentary but if not just pretend you're listening to Flemish for a more authentic feel). There's also a round of the Welsh League at the venue on Saturday with Pidcock taking part in the men's race. From memory S4C have shown highlights of those races in previous years too. There's some strong continental riders taking part on Sunday which includes Eva Lechner in the women's race.

http://www.crosstoberwales.org.uk/home
  • Beat me to it, again.

DMzUgRIWsAEb0RN.jpg:large

TV coverage is from 1-25pm to 4-30pm.
    Blurb reads as though they will show highlights of other races as well as live coverage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Hibernation well and truly underway here, but for anyone still with one eye open.

The Elite Women, Elite Men and U23 races at Crosstober Wales are already available to view.
    It is a C1 event after all.

http://beta.s4c.cymru/clic/e_level2.sht ... =794712042

Edit: The link isn't working just yet. I expect they will sort it shortly.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • What a race the Koppenberg cross was !!!

No spoilers but that finishing straight wow!!...
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    great first day at the world champs . 2 golds . tough coarse .
  • tim000 wrote:

Is the worlds on tv in some way? Or is it a stream thing?
  • tim000
    Hiltaldo wrote:
    tim000 wrote:

Is the worlds on tv in some way? Or is it a stream thing?
    uci chanel on youtube . but the elite races are geo blocked in uk because eurosport have bought the right , then don't boterh showing it live . just a one hour highlights show . there are ways around the blocking though. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... meio?hl=en
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,692
    Actually the first time I’ve watched a cross race.

Was that a good edition?

Because I can’t say I massively enjoyed it....
  • tim000
    each to their own . I love it . cant wait for tomorrow .u23 should be a cracking race .
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Actually the first time I’ve watched a cross race.

Was that a good edition?

Because I can’t say I massively enjoyed it....

The course conditions made it a war of attrition as much as a test of handling skills and physical capabilities. But having the two best riders in the world this season fighting it out for the final two laps was pretty compelling. I thought Compton had it when she got the gap on the penultimate lap, but Cant's final lap was superb.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I thought it was great. Two tough riders battling it out, a war of attrition in those conditions and great skill as well. It was one of those events that made me have great admiration for their guts (and a warm glow thinking "thank goodness I don't have to do it").
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Just attritional. Cant was on the limit that whole last lap. Conditions haven’t made for great watching as a spectacle but if you’ve ever raced CX then you have to respect what those riders have put themselves through in those conditions.
  • tim000
    well that didn`t go to plan :shock:
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    That wasn't what I expected....however, that's his first real disappointment of a so far stellar career. And it's his first year in U23. Personally, one race doesn't/ or shouldn't define a season; he's been the best U23 rider in 2017/18.

I just hope the mens Elite doesn't go the same way; but I have a feeling Wout will take it. Mathieu will once again be tripped up by punctures/ mechanicals.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • tim000
    MVP for the win .
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    Must be suffering from an illness; far too bad to be true. He should be miles ahead of Vantourenhout.....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326
    He said he thought he was ill in an interview after the race.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    I was hoping there was be more on the race in there.

Gutted by the result, especially after the season he has had.

I find it so strange to win by such a margin (yes I am sure his head dropped a little). But I can't really find a reason for such a difference.

Its the first race this season in conditions like that, so maybe the season so far was more in MvP's favour. But not by over 2minutes!

I have looked and I can't believe no one has mentioned it.

There was a few times when they was running with their bikes on their shoulders. The rear wheel on Wout's bike would continue to spin, but MvP's would pretty much stop straight away.
    Straight at the start there was a section where everyone had to carry their bikes, other than MvP who would able to ride and make a lot of time on the others - When his bike was clean! The rest of the race they had to carry their bikes I think.
    They all looked to be riding the same tyres.

Maybe it is nothing, I actually thought the clinic would be all over the turning wheel (it was only gently rotating, not suggesting anything like that)
    But MvP was on a new bike (Also relatively new to Cross) for the last 2 months, first time in mud. I wondered if there was less clearance maybe (find that strange).
    Or the mud was clearing faster on Wout's tyre's?
    If it was something like this, it would give more resistance to MvP when they are pedalling, so he would need more power than Wout.

Anyone else spot it or hear anything like that?
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Wout ran narrower tyres and sprayed his bikes with cooking oil in order to shed the mud. He also was stronger on the run ups and didn’t appear lose his footing.
    Maybe he had motors in his shoes :lol:
  • tim000
    edited February 2018
    most riders wheels spin when they were carrying the bike . if you pick a bike up when it is moving why would the stop spinning unless the wheel comes in contact with your body ? also , I noticed van aert moving his peddles to the right position for the remount when he was carrying the bike .
  • tim000
    MVP just had a bad day . look where he was compared to the other riders not van aert .
  • https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/gallery ... pionships/

Some great photos here. Just shows how muddy it was!

CORVOS_00029028-135.jpg
  • tim000
    van der poel riding like a man possessed today .