Yet Another "What Bike?" Thread

slowhand44
slowhand44 Posts: 47
edited September 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

First off, apologies for posting what I am sure has been asked 1000s of times before. I am looking to get my first new mountain bike in a while, and since my last bike was a few years ago, I am now a bit confused by all the choices available. I shall be getting my bike on my companies Cycle 2 Work (Halfords) scheme, so am limited to £1000. At this budget I have pretty much ruled out a full-suspension.

My main questions are what wheel size (27.5" or 29") and drivetrain (1 or 2 chainrings) should I be looking for. I have mainly been looking at 27.5", as I am quite short (5'7" with a 28" inside leg). My main riding will be mostly local wooded singletrack with some visits to trail centres such as Stainburn, Dalby, Gisburn and the new one being built in Leeds. No insane drop-offs or red Bull type stuff.

My short list includes a Marin Nail Trail 7, Orange Clockwork and a Whyte 805

Any advice greatly appreciated.
"There's a way of transferring funds that is even faster than electronic banking. It's called marriage."
James Holt McGavran

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Wheel size isn't relevant to frame size (cranks to saddle and grips) so a 29er would be fine, the Boardman is superb value and in other brands you would be looking at £1300 plus for the same spec.

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... e-pro-29er
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    ... and don't get an ebike. We've had enough of that. If you want something a bit cheaper than the Boardman pro then try the Voodoo bizango from Halfords too. It is a good bike.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: