Group set should all match?

Olpallix
Olpallix Posts: 4
edited September 2017 in Road beginners
Hello everyone
Ive been cycling for only about 5 months
So I'm really not clued up. I have a trek 7.3 bought new. And a sabbath road bike bought used 1 month ago bit of an expensive mistake. I am selling it as I don't get on with road bikes. And will probably sell my trek too to get a better used hybrid. I only do 14miles to work
My question is seeing as I'm selling the sabbath is wether or not it has been tampered with. As it's only now that I'm selling that I've realised that crank is ultegra with shifters too and dérailleur and brakes are 105. Is that original to have mixed models? I have written to sabbath but had no answer
Also ion another note. The gears skip in the middle. I have to click again for it to select that gear. I was told it was the cassette or chain. Could this be true or just an adjustment?
Cheers

Comments

• It's not ununsual for components across groupsets from a single manufacturer to be mixed. If you go to the Shimano Europe website you can check the compatability of each individual component with others from across the range.

As for gears skipping, it could be wear mismatch between cassette and chain although I'd expect it to occur across the cassette or it could be alignment. Without the opportunity to tinker with it it's hard to be certain.

BTW, what Sabbath are you selling?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243

BTW, what Sabbath are you selling?

Paranoid, original 1970 vinyl
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Could be a part ungraded groupie, part down graded or just come like that. Wouldn't really worry about the parts I'd get it all working properly first.

If you do want it all the same as its older stuff it's all available second hand for pennies - whack it on, new cables, set it up so it works, job jobbed. Tidy.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Hi Mathew.
    I missed your post.
    Yeah I have bought an ultegra 10 speed derailleur all ready. As you said it's possibly best to get it all working.
  • BTW, what Sabbath are you selling?

Paranoid, original 1970 vinyl

He's saying it's skipping in the middle, so it's probably not in good playable condition..... lol
  • Lol. :)
  • Its not a brand I am used to, but looking at their website it looks like Sabbath doesn't sell full bikes but rather sells framesets to dealers/shops and lets them spec it up however they want.

You may also be dealing with a bike that someone bought frameset only and built up themselves.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Olpallix wrote:
    Hello everyone
    Ive been cycling for only about 5 months
    So I'm really not clued up. I have a trek 7.3 bought new. And a sabbath road bike bought used 1 month ago bit of an expensive mistake. I am selling it as I don't get on with road bikes. And will probably sell my trek too to get a better used hybrid. I only do 14miles to work
    My question is seeing as I'm selling the sabbath is wether or not it has been tampered with. As it's only now that I'm selling that I've realised that crank is ultegra with shifters too and dérailleur and brakes are 105. Is that original to have mixed models? I have written to sabbath but had no answer
    Also ion another note. The gears skip in the middle. I have to click again for it to select that gear. I was told it was the cassette or chain. Could this be true or just an adjustment?
    Cheers

Mix manufacturer components with little risk of issues. I even mix Shimano brakes with my SRAM groupset, simply because SRAM don't make direct mount brakes and Shimano do.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    pretty much anything 11 speed can be made to work together, I know of people with campag shifters and Sram Mechs and shimano chainrings. best way though is to probably have everything from the same brand...
  • Is your Sabbath Ti or is it Iron (Man)?