Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Ned Boulting - Bikeology

jimmythecuckoojimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,496
edited November 2017 in Pro race
Has anyone been to see this show ? Got any feedback or comments for someone going to see it.

I am going later this autumn and am really looking forward to it.

Posts

  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,284
    I've not seen it but I'm also going later in the year.

    Here's an interest snippet I found out looking for a review (and failing) - Ned Boulting was a member of the Cambridge Footlights in the early 90s, a contemporary of Sue Perkins amongst others.


    (Those unaware of Footlights, it's a Cambridge Uni Drama society famous for churning out loads of comic performers and writers)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • He does come across as very polished and can deliver a one liner.

    Have high expectations for the show.
  • wolfsbane2kwolfsbane2k Posts: 2,992
    Went last night, good evening.
    Although I've no idea about the TDF, which is about half of his show..
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • I went to the Fareham show. It’s pretty good value I’d say. Some of his anecdotes are well known if you read his books and I’d like to have heard a little more insight into what happens on the tour but he has good material about Chris B and Dave M.
  • cruffcruff Posts: 1,506
    I went to the Manchester one on Thursday. Was good - I enjoyed it. He's a bit too 'polished' in places - the bits where he was a bit more off the cuff were better, but it was good fun. Helps that he's a thoroughly likable bloke, obviously. Enjoyed the pretty regular p1sstaking of Boardman and Millar - he ruined Millar on a couple of memorable occasions.
    Fat chopper. Some racing. Some testing. Some crashing.
    Specialising in Git Daaahns and Cafs. Norvern Munkey/Transplanted Laaandoner.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    I liked it but was familiar fair bit of it via his books, but you have to be into your cycling a bit I felt to follow alot of it, I know big surprise what else do you expect :) but I went with a friend who Id say isnt quite that into cycling that much (rides maybe once or twice a year) and she was completely lost in parts of it and I could tell she wasnt really enjoying it that much.

    I dread to think what play Ill get taken to in revenge.
  • ddraverddraver Posts: 21,140
    I would love to go but a downside of working abroad a lot is that I miss a lot of these things :cry:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Here's an interest snippet I found out looking for a review (and failing) - Ned Boulting was a member of the Cambridge Footlights in the early 90s, a contemporary of Sue Perkins amongst others.

    He was a contemporary of Al Murray too, in fact they had a sort of running joke about sports presenters and commentators!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,284
    I went on Friday night in Newport. I go to a lot of stand up shows and I've seen worse than him (most are obviously much better though). To put together a show of over two hours is impressive. I hope he does another in the future as I suspect he was hold some of the best anecdotes and gossip back (there was a good story that was in the Q&A which would have fitted into the main show)

    I wish I'd done the quiz though. I was going to volunteer until I realised that the prize would be of no use to me, so I'd didn't want to block someone for whom it would. As it turned out, no-one volunteered.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Two more days until I go to see Ned in St Ives.

    Listened to the interview with him on the CP and that whetted the appetite.
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,779
    RichN95 wrote:

    I wish I'd done the quiz though. I was going to volunteer until I realised that the prize would be of no use to me, so I'd didn't want to block someone for whom it would. As it turned out, no-one volunteered.

    What was the prize, and what was the quiz?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • RichN95.RichN95. Posts: 24,284
    Daniel B wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

    I wish I'd done the quiz though. I was going to volunteer until I realised that the prize would be of no use to me, so I'd didn't want to block someone for whom it would. As it turned out, no-one volunteered.

    What was the prize, and what was the quiz?
    It's just a mastermind style quiz on pro cycling (just before the interval). The prize for the best score of the tour is a cycling holiday to Mont Ventoux
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • daniel_bdaniel_b Posts: 8,779
    RichN95 wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

    I wish I'd done the quiz though. I was going to volunteer until I realised that the prize would be of no use to me, so I'd didn't want to block someone for whom it would. As it turned out, no-one volunteered.

    What was the prize, and what was the quiz?
    It's just a mastermind style quiz on pro cycling (just before the interval). The prize for the best score of the tour is a cycling holiday to Mont Ventoux

    Ah I see, so a quiz throughout all of the shows I guess, and then one winner picked at the end of the tour?

    I thought for a moment you meant had you entered you would have been a dead cert, but I assume that would not have been the case?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wolfsbane2kwolfsbane2k Posts: 2,992
    Daniel B wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's just a mastermind style quiz on pro cycling (just before the interval). The prize for the best score of the tour is a cycling holiday to Mont Ventoux

    Ah I see, so a quiz throughout all of the shows I guess, and then one winner picked at the end of the tour?

    Yeah, that's right. You really have to know your stuff to be in with a chance. at the Fareham show the entrant was on a great score/time, but failed one at about half time and it all collapsed from there.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Daniel B wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's just a mastermind style quiz on pro cycling (just before the interval). The prize for the best score of the tour is a cycling holiday to Mont Ventoux

    Ah I see, so a quiz throughout all of the shows I guess, and then one winner picked at the end of the tour?

    Yeah, that's right. You really have to know your stuff to be in with a chance. at the Fareham show the entrant was on a great score/time, but failed one at about half time and it all collapsed from there.

    That was my mate. I put his him up to it. He got one question wrong and then panicked in true mastermind style. I thought we were off the Ventoux!!
  • wolfsbane2kwolfsbane2k Posts: 2,992
    ATYapton wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's just a mastermind style quiz on pro cycling (just before the interval). The prize for the best score of the tour is a cycling holiday to Mont Ventoux

    Ah I see, so a quiz throughout all of the shows I guess, and then one winner picked at the end of the tour?

    Yeah, that's right. You really have to know your stuff to be in with a chance. at the Fareham show the entrant was on a great score/time, but failed one at about half time and it all collapsed from there.

    That was my mate. I put his him up to it. He got one question wrong and then panicked in true mastermind style. I thought we were off the Ventoux!!

    Ah, we've spoken in real life then - I came and congratulated him on the attempt during the half time break, and asked how the hell he knew so much.
    Would be a nice trip, that's for sure!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
Sign In or Register to comment.