New rider what size Cannondale?

stannie
stannie Posts: 167
edited August 2017 in Road beginners
My son in law (age 24) wants to get his first road bike.
He is 6' tall and the The LBS suggested a size 54 Cannondale.
Does this sound right?
I would have expected at least a 56 - but them I am a hobbit so I have no idea about proper bike sizes :wink:

Also he is keen on getting a bike with disc brakes - is it worth it on a £7-800 bike? ( he is hoping to get a deal as he only has £600 to play with) Or would he better getting a bike with better gears instead.
Any other recommendations?
....................................................................................................
Waterford RS-14
Trek Domane SL6
Ridley Noah SL

A woman can never have too many bikes!

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I am 5'11" and on a 56 CAAD 10 ... its a close call .. the bike did feel big underneath me when sat on it in the garage and there isn't much seat post showing

BUT .. on the road its compliant, stable and quick. and these days feels totally normal to me

In comparison my other road bike is a Spesh Roubaix SL1 ... that's a 54 and to get the same position I am running a 130mm stem on it and a lot of saddle.

so if you do go for the 54, then you might need to run a lot of post and stem ... it will look good though
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    He'll normally be a 56 with a 100/110mm stem.

I'm 183cm (6ft) and was a perfect fit on a 56 CAAD12 w/110mm stem.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd have thought 56 for most unless he likes a small frame, it may depend on the model too. I would go for rim brakes too especially at that price point - can you get a cannondale with discs for that?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    I would also have thought a 56, although you do not mention the model?

I ride a 54 Synapse, and am 5ft 10, but I have long legs, and short torso - had they been more even, I would likely have gone for a 56.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Here's another who reckons a 56. My Synapse is that size and I use a 120mm stem - I'm 6,1" / 1.85M and it fits me perfectly. A wise person once said that it was a lot easier to make a big bike smaller than a small one bigger!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    183 cm with short legs. Ride an 56 with 120mm stem - and a few stem spacers.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Fypo
    Fypo Posts: 24
    I'm 5ft 9 and ride a 54 supersix, I would think a 56 would be better for someone who is 6ft, the best thing to do would be to get him to try both and see what he prefers. Also I would say just get rim brakes at that price, they wouldn't be hydraulic so I doubt they would be much better than rim brakes unless he rides in rain all the time.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    I'm 5'10" with a 32" inside leg and ride a 56 cm Synapse - it is on the larger side and I don't have the fashionable amount of seat post showing but it is comfortable enough for me.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • stannie
    Thanks everyone.
    Very useful information.
    He was looking at a Synapse.
    We will probably go to a different store and try out some more bikes there - might look at the Giant Contend too.
    ....................................................................................................
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

• Jayme
    Jayme Posts: 48
    If he is on a budget, it might pay him to look at Ribble's bike of the week deals.
    There is currently a Tiagra spec'd evo pro (their entry level carbon) for £699.
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... tiagra-se/
  • stannie
    Jayme wrote:
    If he is on a budget, it might pay him to look at Ribble's bike of the week deals.
    There is currently a Tiagra spec'd evo pro (their entry level carbon) for £699.
    https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-e ... tiagra-se/
    Ooh
    Thank you :D
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

• My friend and I both have Cannondale bikes, I am 5' 10" and ride a 54 supersix evo hi-mod, my friend is 6' 0" and rides a 56 Synapse, but if he rides mine he likes the 54 as my frame is more racing and stretched out and he would ride the 56 version, so I think it depends on how you like the positioning and feel/handling.
  • jon33
    jon33 Posts: 256
    Im 182cm with long legs/arms compared to my torso. I currently race on a 58 supersix with a 130 stem. I'd recommend trying the bike if possible.
  • stannie
    jon33 wrote:
    Im 182cm with long legs/arms compared to my torso. I currently race on a 58 supersix with a 130 stem. I'd recommend trying the bike if possible.
    Thank you.
    But I guess, as a novice road rider who has only ever ridden an upright, heavy, steel "mountain bike" he probably wouldn't know what to look for.
    Waterford RS-14
    Trek Domane SL6
    Ridley Noah SL

• defride
    defride Posts: 277
    It'll come down to preference as unless he's oddly proportioned either size can be adjusted to fit.

I'm 186cm and have always preferred the more nimble feel of a slightly under size bike. I bought a 56 Evo which on paper is the correct size. While it was fine and rode nicely it always felt big. The opportunity to swap out that frame for a 54 came and I decided to jump. The 54 feels right and I've never regretted the decision to go down the size.

Racy v relaxed, I clearly prefer the former but that's just me and wouldn't suit everyone
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    Just to ass to what has been said; i am 6' and have a 56 in both Synapse and SuperSix. Both are a great fit and have never felt like i needed a smaller/larger frame. Obviously, because of the relaxed geo of the synapse there will be more set post showing if that is a concern for him but i can't see why the 56 wouldn't be spot on.

Still, i would definitely recommend him trying it out.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    If I were to buy a 'Dale again, I'd go for a 54cm with a 120mm stem.

My 56's were spot on, but lack of post (765mm saddle to BB) looked s**t :lol:
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    Like most of the above, I'm 6 foot and have had 3 cannondales - all 56.
    Sometimes the different geometry (such as the classic looking flat top tube on the CAAD's) makes bikes look different sizes.
  • I have a CAAD12 and I'm 6ft and I use a 58