Route from South Wales to West Wales

courtmed
courtmed Posts: 164
edited August 2017 in Tour & expedition
This is around 150km so probably doesn't count as touring, but I'm cycling to meet family members carrying camping stuff & I've never ridden past Swansea - so it's pretty close to touring for me!

I'd appreciate any advice on the route, particularly Swansea onwards - I'm in two minds about staying on the A40 or taking some of the quieter but less direct roads that the CarTen ride uses. Also not against using any traffic-free paths if anyone's had good experiences with them. I used the Strava heatmaps feature to come up with this route provisionally so hopefully I haven't gone too far wrong. Cheers :D

https://www.strava.com/routes/8368312

Comments

• jlloyd
    jlloyd Posts: 131
    Hi there,

I would avoid as much of the A40 as poss. It's fairly local to me but have probably spent about 10 mins (of bib filling fear) riding in it. It's a fast road with lots of lorries going down west. there is a path that runs alongside it, but seems to disapear at points and doesn't look a great surface tbh.

The route is mostly decent cycle path from Swansea - to Pembrey (there's a good cafe at Pwll which is popular with cyclists)
    Then A roads to Carmarthen. (could do a poss detour thru ferryside at kidwelly - which avoids the windy climb through llandafelog - would prob add 3ish miles)

When you get to Carmarthen head for Llansteffan road. Then take a right onto alltycnap road then follow this to Banc y felin . You'll then only have a cple of miles on the a40 until you reach st clears. Think you're pretty much ok from there.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Sustrans route 4 pretty much follows your route, except on smaller roads. From what I remember, it's mostly fine from Swansea onwards. There are a few light off road bits between Cardiff and Swansea that are best avoided (the gate cages Margam Country park are particularly annoying if you have panniers).
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Check out the sustrans route 4. It goes from London to St Davids but obviously you can jump on anywhere you want.

I did a similar tour a couple of weeks ago from Newgale to Cardiff, but via Aberystwth. I headed North and then came down the Lon Las Cymru into Cardiff.

I found Google maps was pretty good for setting out the route, I plotted it for a bike and then chose the national cycle route version.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    Oh, I meant to say that I was surprised at how 'rustic' a lot of the routes were and included long (several miles at a time) stretches of muddy tracks and coarse gravel.