Training and Starting out

KrazyKow
KrazyKow Posts: 2
edited July 2017 in Road beginners
Hi All,

I am returning to biking after a long break of several years. I am 84kg, 6' 2" tall (185 cm) and have an estimated FTP of 190 - 200.

I just started with ZWIFT on my Kurt road machine this weekend and was able to sustain an average power of 1.7-1.9 w/KG for the ride of about 30 minutes. NOT Impressive!

What is the best way to start getting fit again at an age of 45? I am not overweight, but just under trained. Should I just ride ZWIFT or follow a ZWIFT training plan or something else?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Park the science for a few months and just ride your bike a lot. Don't over-think it.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ride the bike and get some miles in your legs firstly.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    As above have said, use the summer to get miles in your legs. During the Autumn and Winter than look at what you want to train for, look at the amount of time/effort you can put commit to and then maybe ask the question again.
    I'd leave the kurt trainer for now and get outside and enjoy yourself.
  • When I started out some years back the old maxim was one hour on the bike 3-4 times a week for six months and then start thinking about training, or as everyone says, just ride for a few months to get yourself back in to the habit.
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    Ride. Enjoy. Repeat.

:-)
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,843
    3/4 times a week, go hammer some hills for ~60mins, take it easy in the sections linking them up to recover.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The advice you get will vary according to where you ask the question TBH.

If you intend racing or are serious about getting into shape a mix of longer 'endurance' riding with a couple of interval type sessions will get you fit reasonably steadily.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    If you have targets in mind then you might want structure (I know about structure), but it's summer so I'd just get out there and ride as much as you can, mix it up, go new places and then assess things again in October when you'll most likely know where you need to improve over the winter.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    KrazyKow wrote:
    What is the best way to start getting fit again at an age of 45? I am not overweight, but just under trained. Should I just ride ZWIFT or follow a ZWIFT training plan or something else?

in some ways you are lucky .... you are starting from the bottom which means that whatever you do will benefit you and you will improve.

start riding on Zwift, try all the routes, then try beating your times on the climbs and loops, then join in a few group rides aimed at your power level, then try a couple of workouts, enter a few races.

you will soon figure out what you like doing .... I like doing a training groupride on Wednesday afternoons that completely destroys me ... on Thursday mornings I like freeriding and going up the radar tower .. the rest of the week I like doing the workouts ... add this to commuting to work, club rides and towing my family along at the weekends and I have massively improved by bike fitness and I don't feel like I am even trying.

One day I might have a go at structured training, but all the time I am progressing, I don't really feel the need