27.5+ or 29 which to buy

BOSSNUT.DAVE
BOSSNUT.DAVE Posts: 102
edited August 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello.
I'm shopping for a new bike. In the passed i have demo'd a 27.5+ bike back to back against a 29'er. The 27.5+ put a huge smile on my face, but i know the tyres are expensive and the industry maybe shying away from 27.5+.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    26 or 29 are equal preferences for me but it is highly subjective and I know that some people have a real fondness for 27.5.
    For the purposes of correlation, I don't have a 27.5 and I have never smiled.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Guess it's the age-old question - where do you ride and what do your friends ride?
    Personally, I ride lots of rooty/muddy, less technical trails - and more often that not, long adventures where we just head out all day. For that sort of riding, the group all ride 29ers.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Lots of bike will do both these days.
  • BOSSNUT.DAVE
    Cheers.

I was talking about the 27.5+ not just the normal 27.5. But after reading your replies it made it clearly obvious, that I'm looking at this in to much detail.
  • BOSSNUT.DAVE
    I've made the decision late week to buy a 27.5 plus size bike.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Why did you make that choice?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    FishFish wrote:
    Why did you make that choice?

probably because he loves

stunning-cockerel-pheasant-coloured-wyandotte-518f724064b15.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Good luck in winter (so about September to June in the UK).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BOSSNUT.DAVE
    Cheers for the Banter.

I demo'd a Santa Cruz HighTower 27.5 plus back to back with a 5010 27.5 & a Stereo 140 29er.

The 27.5 plus rolled like a 29er but i liked the extra grip in the corners. Yeah the plus might be a bad choice for wet conditions, but if it comes to that I'll have to invest in a set of narrow 27.5.
  • I have a short steep rooted technical climb in my local woods.
    On my & brother inlaws bikes it's,
    1) 26" HT it's just about do able if you get it all right.
    2) 29" HT it's easier but still challenging.
    3) 27.5 FS Bossnut do able but as easy as the above 29" HT
    4) 27.5 + (rolls like 29") FS it's like going up there in an arm chair. Really easy, loads of grip & i can change my line. Which is something i can't do on the 26".

So I'm really happy on its climbing ability.