thursday third rule is, don't talk to commies

2»

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Pinno wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:
    Lovely tyres Pinno. Big thumbs up from me. Looking forward to doing a longer ride than just the commute.

Good.
    Garry H wrote:
    Glad i had my lights today. Caught in an absolute torrent about three miles from home.

Weekend starts here though

Must have been the same cloud that pi$$ed on my car at about 6.45pm as I was driving along the A75.

I am now the proud owner of a C220 Elegance. Full leather interior, full MB service history. It even has tyres and a steering wheel.

Knackered.

Laters.

Nice wheels
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    TLW1 wrote:
    Nice 1995 wheels
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    Pinno wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Nice 1995 wheels

I thought I knew car tyre sizes, but that's a new one to me
  • pinno
    TLW1 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    TLW1 wrote:
    Nice 1995 wheels

I thought I knew car tyre sizes, but that's a new one to me

Funny.
    M reg. W202 - last of the proper Mercs.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Afternoon folks,
    Slow start as we had a meeting at the daughter's school at 10. She is doing very well considering she is only there half the time. She did really well in all her exams, even the one I told her to fail in. Only downside is they don't want her to take up art again as it is too heavy a workload for her current state. I tend to agree with them, but she may be upset. But they said she is good enough that they would let her into an A level without the GCSE. So all good really.
    As a result of all that I've been madly trying to catch up since I got in. My head hurts now and I'm hungry as I haven't had lunch.
    Does anyone remember the programme Banzai? Used to be on late aimed at drunk blokes. Interactive TV before there was the technology to interact with the TV. Used to have various scenarios that you would bet with your mates on.
    Banzai was ace, managed not to mention it to out visitors this evening. They managed to avoid getting totally rat arsed but they may need a bacon sarnie tomorrow am.

Boat trip.was fun 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Pinno wrote:
    I am now the proud owner of a C220 Elegance. Full leather interior, full MB service history. It even has tyres and a steering wheel.

Knackered.
    Why'd you buy a knackered one, you should have bought a nice one.
  • pinno
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:

Knackered.
    Why'd you buy a knackered one, you should have bought a nice one.

2 comedians in the house!

Banzai - many gambring opportunities, prace your bets now... 'Kin hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_d_lYWHZuY

It was the staple Friday night after pub viewing back in my Naam days.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    fml I hate work. I need to retire like the smart people in here.

5000 words written which in short says fuck off, stop being needy, your evidence doesn't cover shit.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    Flâneur wrote:
    fml I hate work. I need to retire like the smart people in here.

5000 words written which in short says fark off, stop being needy, your evidence doesn't cover shoot.

Yes but the burning question: Do you remember Banzai?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Pinno wrote:
    Yes but the burning question: Do you remember Banzai?
    Can't find the clip that was discussed last night. 3 vets and 3 cows, the vets were hiding their arms up the cows. Had to bet on which vet was the amputee.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    No I do not
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Pinno wrote:
    'Pinno' and 'elegance' - now there's two words you don't often see together.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    "C220 Elegance". What is that? Is it a posh sofa?
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Garry H wrote:

It's the one with the smart bits rather than the sporty bits. Wood rather than carbon :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pinno
    Garry H wrote:

It's the one with the smart bits rather than the sporty bits. Wood rather than carbon :wink:

That's the right sofa. Spot on.
    I did have a C200 sport. Only 134 bhp but with LSD and traction control, it was a beautifully balanced car with tiptronic gearbox. I cannot quite figure why you would want a bigger engine because I think the extra weight would upset the balance. It was so much fun and you could do 80 in 3rd without red lining it (5 speed auto box).
    Pi$$ed a pair of tw@ts that passed me on the road one time. They sat behind me in a 30 zone through a small village and then 'shot' (more noise than speed) past me. I took the inclination to follow. They were doing 80+ and I sat back keeping a lid on things at 70. Followed some 300 yards behind on a sweeping double 's'. I overtook the first one on the outside of the second bend and then as I exited the last 's', the one in front having suffered bad handling and probably understeer (being a fwd boyed up Corsa or something) and I nearly went into the back of him. He was half way around the bend with the brake lights on!
    If it weren't for the fact there was nothing on the other side of the road, I would have had to go into the back of him.
    I pulled in front of him and sat at 55mph as the guy very sheepishly followed and didn't bother trying to overtake again.
    Problem for him was 1 opposite camber and some understeer. I know that road really well as it's the route I have taken to pick up the O.H 1000 times in 1000 different moods.
    So, I have now had a W123, 2 W202's and a W203. This one is spot on. Pulls like a train and is quiet and comfy. The W202 is the last of the proper Merc's.
    The C class W202 sport in any guise is a rare thing. It never really sold as it was acres behind the equivalent BM in terms of hp bar the AMG 3.5 and 4.5 but they are pricey and very collectible now, fetching 12k plus.

However, it was a slightly stiff ride and well, I have kids now and just want to cruise.
  • meanredspider
    I'm a great fan of Mercs- they are so beautifully thought out and put together: even the modern ones.

I have a W211 (strictly an S211) as a tow car because it pulls like a train and is incredibly comfortable. I tried the W213 and hated it though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pinno
    The E class is a lovely ride but it's a little bit big. I had an opportunity once to buy a full leather S class for silly money but decided against the cost of replacement parts, despite the common misconception that Merc parts are pricey. People don't realise that you don't have to buy parts very often as they are so reliable and once a mark is 5+ plus, the OEM after market has well and truly kicked in.
    My friend bought a Peugeot sedan (408?). He had to get a radiator for it. £180 plus VAT. At the same time, I had a viscous fan problem and I bought a radiator which included the auto box cooler for £115 inclusive. His was just the radiator.
    He replaced the fuel pump due to the fact that it was extra sensitive to dirty fuel. Cost him £800 and then it happened again 4 months later. Warranty didn't cover it.

Back to the Merc, my current one is far more like my w123 which was 13 years it's junior than the revamped w202 Sport, 5 years older and the w203, 7 years older. It feels like a car that originally cost £24k and it feels like an executive car more than the others. It also has the 3rd generation K-jetronic which is (touch wood) bullet proof.
  • meanredspider
    Yeah - we got our first E Class when the kids were a little bigger to replace the A Class. It was the W210 from 2001 when Merc joined up with Chrysler and totally lost the plot. It had to have new front wings and other work due to rust - at 4 years old! My folks had the same model and exactly the same issues. I've had a few since that one that have all been better. They've just messed up the latest one - dash is a mess and the 9-speed box is nothing like I'd hoped. Plus, as you say, we just don't need anything as big day-to-day. The W211 though makes a brilliant workhorse and will do the length of the country with a trailer as well as anything. Before I bought it, I tried a Discovery and the Merc is so much better for long-distance towing.