Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

Clean sweep Thursday. Back to normality.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,705
edited July 2017 in The bottom bracket
Morning All. Thought we'd forget the recycling censored . Being taken out for lunch by eldest lad before having to start night shift later today. His way of saying thanks for paying out for driving lessons and extra insurance. Enjoy your day
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,705
    PS, before you moan it was posted UK time.
  • lincolndavelincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, looks like it's been raining, just about to take the dog out
  • sungodsungod Posts: 13,773
    well done, we are saved!

'ning

gym, cafe, wfh, wtdf etc.

got a nice cinellii targa musette, if i had a beard and fixie i could go to shoreditch with the hipsters, fortunately i have neither and am safe from such horror

i've tried blueberries, but it's just not the same, later i shall suspend habeas corpus, round up the usual suspects and eat pineapple
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 20,045
    Morning

Legs are nice and tired after running yesterday morning and a decent ride last night in the last of the summer

Fruit today is zero as I forgot to pick the mulberries and gooseberries yesterday

Later is unknown but could be a full week of pub avoidance!
  • Garry HGarry H Posts: 6,639
    Raining
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,705
    Bright Sun here as I sit on patio having breakfast.
    mostly sunny here

gymned, time for pineapple then i'll be ready for table outside cafe
  • hopkinbhopkinb Posts: 7,074
    Sunny, busy work work, no booze for 26 days, then holidays. I expect to be somewhat grumpy for 2 or 3 days, then bursting with zest and energy. Marvellous
  • I apologize for derailing these threads, it was totally my intention

WFH with too many snooze tour stages, may ride my bike today instead
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I was just debating Shimano or Sram brakes ...... perhaps "cleansweep" is a sign that I need sram

Other than that, Started coming down with something yesterday, so hammered myself with a massive heavy lifting session in the morning and an interval session at lunch

don't know why but it seems to accelerate the phases of illness, so after that I went through sore throat, sneezing, catarrh, running nose, feeling like censored , not sleeping, etc etc etc .. all in the period of 12 hours

now just have an annoying cold and cant breathe ... and I hate people asking me if I am ill, don't know why but I cant admit it, so been telling everyone its just hayfever ... despite not getting hayfever
    old sram red are nice, but the new ones look horrible and have a reputation for being a bit flexy (though tbh on a road bike they'll still be more than adequate)

afaik heavy exercise temporarily depresses the immune system, which'd mean you really got what you asked for there

enjoyable hour outside the cafe, toast, three double espressos, read paper, and enjoyed the procession of loveliness in summer dresses

rescued damsel in distress who'd managed to wedge her front door closed with a folding chair, i truly am a renaissance man

off out again to browse a local bookshop, there's one in the window about modernist art that's tempting me
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,652 Lives Here
    Morning folks,
    I do like a bookshop, really should read more. EPO reads on a Kindle but I much prefer an actual book. Actually, holiday in a couple of weeks, need to go book shopping.
    I don't understand this not drinking malarkey. I don't drink enough to warrant giving up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Going to meet the Mrs in Twickenham for a spot of lunch, if the weather is good we'll sit by the river. Much nicer than staying around here.
    Had my daily dose of fruit this morning. Apple, banana, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. Might try throwing pineapple into the mix. Not sure why.
    Onwards and upwards...
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,779
    You're all a bunch of Southern fruit eaters. Next thing I know you'll be sipping halves of lager shandy. Strifey gave me a spare slice of bloody quiche this morning to take into work, I'll have to hide it in case people think I'm a shandy drinker.

His been to the dentist again - no charge so good news. Onwards to torturing numbers and minions.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • fat daddyfat daddy Posts: 2,605
    sungod wrote:
    afaik heavy exercise temporarily depresses the immune system, which'd mean you really got what you asked for there

seems like a sensible option to me .. why drag a cold out for 2 weeks when you can blitz it in 2 days
    now you need to burn it out with plenty of chillis and ginger in a pork and pineapple stir fry - if it doesn't hurt, there aren't enough chillis
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't understand this not drinking malarkey. I don't drink enough to warrant giving up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I don't drink much in a single sitting, I just drink 6-8 units a day (2 or 3 premium strength beers, or at weekends a bottle of 13% wine less a glass or 2 for the missus). Which is what, 56 units a week, which is 4 times the recommended weekly amount. I am very rarely drunk, but this is still hazardous drinking healthwise. Hence I try to have 2 months off each year, plus the odd week here and there and I will probably have to pack it in for good if I want to have a long life. It's not a problem yet, but easily could be.
  • meanredspidermeanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Day +14 - counts on the up in a good leap. Miss MRS almost not "extremely neutropenic" for the first time in 3 months. Hair falling out again though (nowhere near as traumatic as the first time - especially as she had me give her a buzz cut a couple of days ago).

Just a day in hospital for me. Looking forward to not having to be here all the time.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pinnopinno Posts: 42,702
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I don't understand this not drinking malarkey. I don't drink enough to warrant giving up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I don't drink much in a single sitting, I just drink 6-8 units a day (2 or 3 premium strength beers, or at weekends a bottle of 13% wine less a glass or 2 for the missus). Which is what, 56 units a week, which is 4 times the recommended weekly amount. I am very rarely drunk, but this is still hazardous drinking healthwise. Hence I try to have 2 months off each year, plus the odd week here and there and I will probably have to pack it in for good if I want to have a long life. It's not a problem yet, but easily could be.

:shock: Olly Reed - eat yer heart out.

Was raining. Stopped raining. OH has plans for toots so i'm free to go pedal.

19 days to my short holiday. Looking at cars (and no i'm not taking any recommendations or entering into a debate on the matter). Still coughing up green stuff but mainly in the morning. Frikkin weather, dodgy immune system and building dust.
    There's no way your body will cope with that intake of nutrition VN.

Update later.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,416
    Finished the DIY project... much swearing involved at times. Took longer than it should have too so the plans for a ride in the park got canned. Feckit.

I drink maybe 1/3 of a bottle of wine most days. Is that bad?
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,934
    Off tomorrow, no motivation today so it will mostly be spent tending to the blisters and ripped skin all over my hands. I have a friend arriving at 1 or 2 tomorrow afternoon so I think I might plan a long ride in the morning
    Pinno wrote:
    :shock: Olly Reed - eat yer heart out.

I know, pathetic isn't it, enough to make my doctor sh!t his pants though and order a raft of liver function tests. :roll:
    A friend of mine, known as the walking wine bottle, told his doc he thought he was drinking too much. Doc asked how much to which he said a couple of bottles of plonk on a school night and 4 or 5 on a Friday or Saturday. The doc took a deep breath and asked if that was between him and his Mrs. "No, just me" was the reply. The doc complimented him on answering the question honestly, then told him that he was indeed drinking far too much.
    This conversation was had with the Wednesday night lot, most of whom like a drink. We were all amazed at that volume.
    Did I mention Olly Reed used to drink in the pub I worked at. He was a regular long before I worked there but his son was still a regular. The old man was in once when I was working. Didn't cause any trouble, but was incapable of standing still. He just swayed slightly all the time, he was absolutely cattled.
    'cattled'. Don't understand it but I like it.
    Pinno wrote:
    'cattled'. Don't understand it but I like it.
    Rhyming slang from cattle truck, you can work it out from there I'm sure.
  • WheelspinnerWheelspinner Posts: 5,416
    Veronese68 wrote:
    A friend of mine, known as the walking wine bottle, told his doc he thought he was drinking too much. Doc asked how much to which he said a couple of bottles of plonk on a school night and 4 or 5 on a Friday or Saturday. The doc took a deep breath and asked if that was between him and his Mrs. "No, just me" was the reply. The doc complimented him on answering the question honestly, then told him that he was indeed drinking far too much.
    This conversation was had with the Wednesday night lot, most of whom like a drink. We were all amazed at that volume.
    Did I mention Olly Reed used to drink in the pub I worked at. He was a regular long before I worked there but his son was still a regular. The old man was in once when I was working. Didn't cause any trouble, but was incapable of standing still. He just swayed slightly all the time, he was absolutely cattled.
    Worked in a bar long time back on the afternoon shift, which was always quiet, just a few regulars. Was a chap came in every afternoon on his way home from work, in his 50s, shirt, tie, perfectly respectable, sat at the bar for usually 2, sometimes 3 beers and a few fags then headed off. The pub owner told me he was a car salesman, lived alone, wife had left him years before. Seemed a nice chap. My mate worked at the drive through bottle shop attached to the pub, and one afternoon we were standing out at the car park when Car Sales guy walked past. My mate told me that every Friday afternoon, without fail, he stopped at the bottle shop and bought a *case* of Johnnie Walker Black whisky. :shock:
    Open O-1.0 Open One+ BMC TE29 Titus Racer X Ti Giant MCM One Cannondale Prophet Lefty Cannondale Super V SL Cove Handjob Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 46,779
    hopkinb wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Has TLW hacked your account?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 8,193
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Ex father in law drinks a minimum of six cans of cider of an evening during the week (he's not an alcoholic because he doesn't drink during the day on a weekday!) and will down 10 pints + Saturday and Sunday. He smokes, eats censored and is still ticking at 60 years of age. It was a major feather in his cap when he passed his dad's age, who dropped dead at 49 of booze and fags.

Man up Hop.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
    Veronese68 wrote:
    A...cattled.
    Worked in a bar long time back on the afternoon shift, which was always quiet, just a few regulars. Was a chap came in every afternoon on his way home from work, in his 50s, shirt, tie, perfectly respectable, sat at the bar for usually 2, sometimes 3 beers and a few fags then headed off. The pub owner told me he was a car salesman, lived alone, wife had left him years before. Seemed a nice chap. My mate worked at the drive through bottle shop attached to the pub, and one afternoon we were standing out at the car park when Car Sales guy walked past. My mate told me that every Friday afternoon, without fail, he stopped at the bottle shop and bought a *case* of Johnnie Walker Black whisky. :shock:

Pinno's spontaneous Jackanory No.5.: 'ereford.

At a notorious bar in 'ereford, the landlord had a lock in. They were celebrating winning the local cricket league with an almost entirely amateur squad. The exception being a professional Tasmanian batsman hired in his off season. Unpaid 'Geordie' (of same geographical location) achieved a higher average, causing much banter and amusement. Smoggy Lennie and I were there as Geordie's mates and so the night wore on...
    In the corner, were 3 large men. They drank cider - one after another. The whole table was piled high with empty glasses bar the dregs at the bottom. We asked the landlord quietly why no body had cleared the glasses We were told that they liked it that way' !?. At some point after Lennie decided the corner of the room next to the duke box was a urinal and he was shuffled off somewhere out the back to one of the picnic tables, the landlord called an informal last orders at about 4am, the drink bill being covered by the cricketing patrons and the landlord.
    The large men in question got up to get their last pint in. They seemed so sober and impervious to the slightly sparkling Apple stuff to which my constitution cannot tolerate beyond 3 pints. They were jovial and pleasant and went about finishing their cider.
    Landlord taps me and a couple of onlookers on the shoulder and says "watch this".

The 3 large men proceeded to fill pint glasses with the dregs then they drank the contents in a 'oner'.
    F*ck me, it just tipped them over into oblivion. Falling about the place in a complete stupor; banjaxed, trolleyed, out of their trees, call it what you will. It took some amount of other men and time to get them on to the street outside and prop them up against the wall. This, all without fight, without dissent and zero altercation.
    I couldn't imagine what sort of hangover they would have had and I cannot imagine why they would want to deliberately tip themselves over the edge like that.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,598
    I too am off the drink, just for July.

I drink very little anyway, so it won't make a much of a difference to my will power, but I found it does make a difference to how I feel when riding the bike. I'll miss the occasional bottle of beer though, and a steak does taste nicer with a glass of red.

I'm not into huge distances, and so increasing the rides until I feel comfortable for the 100 miles at the end of July takes a bit of extra effort for me. :)

The older I get, the better I was.

• haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,934
    I love alcohol, I really do, I regularly go a few weeks without much though so I'm probably fine. I've noticed recently that the effects on my stomach of ale are starting to be too much however, need to try out some other drinks in quantity and see what happens. I think I've got a dodgy stomach due to stress at work at the moment though so it's not really a fair test