pro riders

13»

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    edited June 2017
    Chris Froome: Tour de France & the secret world of climbing.
    "The pain creeps up on you. When you're excited at the bottom, everything feels fresh. You're able to respond to small accelerations. You can close the gap to the wheel in front. As you climb, the freshness goes.

"Slowly one muscle group will turn to cement. It's in overdrive. Other muscles try to compensate, and then they start shutting down. Muscle by muscle it gets worse as the pain sets in. You start feeling it in the back, in the shoulders.

"It's different to the pain of a bunch sprint, which is short and explosive. You don't have time to think about the pain. In a time-trial it's just you out there on the road. No-one to talk to, just your body and its feelings.

"Your body is saying, this hurts, that hurts, slow down - and you just have to go faster. I've always loved that feeling of my body being on the limit. Feeling empty, having no more to give but still pushing your body. I enjoy that, in a sick way."

"Alberto Contador - if you can catch it - he has a little grimace he gives, that almost looks like a smile, but it's a grimace, when he's on the limit. Only for a split second. He only does it for an instant, like he's taking a breath, and you can see it - ah, he's there, right on his threshold.

"My tell is that I drop my head. But I ride with my head dropped most of the time. My own team-mates, my own wife can't tell if I'm on a good day or bad day"
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40436886
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    FocusZing wrote:
    Chris Froome: Tour de France & the secret world of climbing
    "The pain creeps up on you. When you're excited at the bottom, everything feels fresh. You're able to respond to small accelerations. You can close the gap to the wheel in front. As you climb, the freshness goes.

"Slowly one muscle group will turn to cement. It's in overdrive. Other muscles try to compensate, and then they start shutting down. Muscle by muscle it gets worse as the pain sets in. You start feeling it in the back, in the shoulders.

"It's different to the pain of a bunch sprint, which is short and explosive. You don't have time to think about the pain. In a time-trial it's just you out there on the road. No-one to talk to, just your body and its feelings.

"Your body is saying, this hurts, that hurts, slow down - and you just have to go faster. I've always loved that feeling of my body being on the limit. Feeling empty, having no more to give but still pushing your body. I enjoy that, in a sick way."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/40436886

That is a really good article. Thanks for the link
  • FocusZing
    No probs. The same journalist, article "Tom Fordyce" (tactics, psychology, pain, rivalry) on radio 5 live (tonight 9:00-10:00pm:)
  • FocusZing
    ^That was good. It fvcks me off though that the BBCs piece on tonights news at 6:00 about the TDF was 80% about SKY & PEDs.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    FocusZing wrote:
    ^That was good. It fvcks me off though that the BBCs piece on tonights news at 6:00 about the TDF was 80% about SKY & PEDs.
    Another non-cycling journalist 'blowing in for a scandal' (Lionel Birnie's phrase). He probably can't name a non-British cyclist. Haven't they noticed that no-one across the channel seems to thinks it's much of a story?
    I wish they'd send the likes of Fordyce over instead to report on these things.

On Monday the BBC will be asking how much Wimbledon needs Sharapova back
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this story basically ancient history now? Nothing's happened on it for months now.