Times when you wished you had your camera running

spasypaddy
spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
edited June 2017 in Commuting chat
I have a gopro on my bike but never record my commute. its dull and its another thing to remember to charge/data to delete...

However last night i was cut up in such a bad manner by a police van, without flashing lights, that i wish i had it running to video. Had it been a normal driver I would have changed direction to berate them but as it was a police vehicle I thought better of it.

Had i used my camera i would have sent the footage over to the Met and complained more.

I dont normally take much offence at these things, lifes too short and no damage was done (thankfully) as i had my wits about me but this has shocked me.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    When I got beaten up and ended up with 3 broken ribs.

Rozzers found him. He denied it - no witnesses came forward; the guy who pulled him off me specifically didn't give me his details because he didn't want the hassle, so the guy got off.

Modern world innit.
  • Thigh_burn
    Thigh_burn Posts: 489
    I wonder if police vans have cameras? I assume they do. If so, would have been worthwhile remonstrating, or at least taking down the reg and then reporting and asking to see the footage.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    I wonder if police vans have cameras? I assume they do. If so, would have been worthwhile remonstrating, or at least taking down the reg and then reporting and asking to see the footage.
    Subject access request? Reason - the driver with the camera running tried to kill me. Could be interesting :D

Back to the OT - when I was knocked off by a bus who failed to stop. Police didn't do anything, said they couldn't track down the bus even though it was a school bus that drove the same route at the same time every morning.

Recently there's been a couple of occasions where taxi drivers have deliberately cut me up, after filtering on the left at a set of lights to get to ASLs. Camera might've been useful for that.

Also on the couple of occasions I've had pinch flats from hitting huge potholes in the road, and the council has subsequently denied that said potholes ever existed.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    I don't have a camera, but a few occasions when I might have wished I had:

Stopped at zebra crossing for an old biddy, at the same time another cyclist went flying through. Old biddy stops, stands in the middle of the crossing, and starts ranting at me about dangerous cyclists. I ask, "Why are you shouting at me? I stopped." She replies, "Well you're a cyclist too..."

Last year's 3 Peaks race, when I went over the bars 3 times in the first descent.

Practice lap in a CX race last year; I came flying down a gentle descent in bright sunlight, into a patch of deep shade, and straight into the very solid hurdle that was "hidden" in the shade.

A few occasions in which I've beaten specific riders in races. Footage of the myriad races in which they beat me would, of course, have been deleted.

Following my (then) 7-year-old daughter down the drag in Richmond Park from Pembroke Lodge towards Richmond Gate, at 30mph.

NB: It's not actually legal to race with a camera (I don't know why), but since this is a theoretical exercise I think it's ok...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    As with TGOTB this is a time I wished I had a camera, I nearly got collected by a very large horny stag in Bushy Park during the rut one year, utterly terrifying.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    When I nearly reached 60mph in the Cairngorms and ended up with front-end shimmy too. My camera was running but the GOPro mount snapped later in the ride, camera exploded and the one piece we didn't find was the memory card....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Way back 15 -20 years ago on a bike ride alongside the river, in deep fog on my way to work, I could hear loads of ducks quacking away.
    I decided to repeat the sound back to them, and somehow must of got it "spot" on, over about 3 miles - I had flocks of ducks following me.
    Happy memories.
    Never repeated it, despite many, many years of trying.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • vpnikolov
    vpnikolov Posts: 568
    Yesterday when I had a van trying to intimidate me by honking and revving his engine in a bus lane.

Today when a car pulled in front of me and I crashed.

Last year when a pedestrian stepped in front of me and I crashed into her.

Funny thing is I have a camera and all these happened when I was not using it.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    TGOTB wrote:
    I don't have a camera, but a few occasions when I might have wished I had:

Stopped at zebra crossing for an old biddy, at the same time another cyclist went flying through. Old biddy stops, stands in the middle of the crossing, and starts ranting at me about dangerous cyclists. I ask, "Why are you shouting at me? I stopped." She replies, "Well you're a cyclist too..."

snip...

The correct answer in this instance is "just because we both ride bikes doesn't mean we are friends".
    FCN = 4
  • Don't own a camera, but would really have liked one a few years back as I was going along Porty prom. Coming the other way was a Rapha-clad roadie who was not only weaving through the school kids no-handie, but was doing so with his hands behind his head.

I had my only ever Carrie moment, as I concentrated so hard my eyes practically started bleeding and he hit a pothole and went down like a sack of spuds. He was ok and other than a broken carbon seat post, so was his bike, so I was fine to point and laugh.

Oh, and I've been flashed a few times too, so cameras would have been fun then too.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    [quote="UndercoverElephant"Oh, and I've been flashed a few times too, so cameras would have been fun then too.[/quote]

IME it's always been too dark and the girl has been too quick for any decent footage of the incident :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    the hero session is very good but needs the ability to automatically overwrite instead of just filling the card, and it needs to work with more SD cards models, using a proper tool to format helps.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    the hero session is very good but needs the ability to automatically overwrite instead of just filling the card, and it needs to work with more SD cards models, using a proper tool to format helps.

As someone who works in storage, don't skimp on SD cards. There's a lot that can go wrong with flash memory.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    itboffin wrote:

As someone who works in storage, don't skimp on SD cards. There's a lot that can go wrong with flash memory.
    Barking.jpg ?
    :wink:
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,146
    elbowloh wrote:
    Barking.jpg ?
    :wink:
    That's a lot of SD cards.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Easy - last year when the driver of a silver Passat estate deliberately accelerated through me from behind then drove off after I'd waved an arm at him for previously close passing me, leaving me crumpled in the road - never caught. Would settle for knowing that he subsequently contracted a parasite that slowly and painfully ate its way through his small intestine before finally emerging from his nether regions to unfurl a tiny flag.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.