Oil on stanchions?

Peanut651
Peanut651 Posts: 59
edited June 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
A bit of a noob question, but what is the allowable amount of oil and oil rings to see on sanctions?

A few days ago I did a lower leg service on my fox 40s because they had gotten a bit sticky. Given the age and use they had I thought I'd try a change in oil. I used 20wt gold (previously used 10wt green with skf seals) oil along with compatible Push seals. Since these different seals and thicker oil, after a few bounces my sanctions seem to feel oily. Not so much that they are leaving big rings, but enough that they feel slidey, or "lubricated", is this normal or just a sign that the seals are working as they should to keep things moving?

I was told some seals can't deal with the gold oil because it's so thick and it makes the seals aquaplane, so if oil is getting out then dirt can get in, but apparently these push seals are find with the gold oil.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just because a thin film of oil can get past doesn't mean dirt is getting in.

Actually a small amount of dirt always gets in to some extent which is why we have the foam seals under the dust seals, their job is to catch in and prevent it getting into the bush/stanchion interface and creating wear and why the foam seals have a service interval.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.