Forum home Road cycling forum Amateur race

Time trial warning. Rider down.

oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,359
edited June 2017 in Amateur race
Local time trial near to me is currently under scrutiny following death of rider due to drivers fault. Driver had gone way over his hours. Company and driver being investigated. I suspect that the fact it was being held on main dual carriageway will come under focus. Sadly it wont bring the guy back.
http://m.derbytelegraph.co.uk/man-arres ... story.html
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,148
    edited June 2017
    This is a tragic death of a man who has contributed much to the sport and if it turns out an offence has been committed that caused or contributed to the accident for me that makes it even worse as it's a knowing disregard for others.

All that said when we discussed TTs on the A46 recently I did refer to 2 TT deaths on the A50 courses in my time in the sport. This is a third death, it is not unlikely that in another 15 years if the sport continues to use the A50 we will have more deaths to discuss. I'm not setting myself up to criticise riders, I've ridden that course and worse (the A1 Long bennington 25), but I'm of the opinion now that racing on the A50 and similar roads is an anachronism. I don't care how safe it "feels" there is no way that 7-8pm on a Thursday evening that road isn't a risk to cyclists. As a local I know of at least a couple of other non competition related cyclist deaths on it and the nearby A38 and when you think how few cyclists use these roads the risks are clear.
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,359
    Sounds like your local like me. Yes theres been to many recently and unless drivers and riders are educated it will get worse. Agree with comments on Griffydam course. Local rag has also plastered front page today as well about the dangers. Unfortunately this time caused by driver having done double his hours and his employer being complicit in this as well. Hopefully they prosecute the MD and rescind his operators licence.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • DeVlaeminckDeVlaeminck Posts: 6,148
    Sorry meant Long Bennington not Griffydam !
    AFC Mercia women - sign for us