Mountain bike road tyres

mattie007
mattie007 Posts: 98
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
I'm currently running schwalbe land cruiser 26x1.75 tyres and although they've been great, Im wondering if i can fit something with less resistance? 95% of my riding is now on the road.
Will I notice a difference with the 1.5 city jets and can I use my slime inner tube with them?
Any other recommendations?

I'll be getting a road bike in a few months but will still use the Giant for weekends.
'07 Giant Terrago - Gone but not forgotten....thankyou Center Parcs...... :(

'11 Giant Talon 0

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    City Jets are an OK option for not much money but for around £25 a tyre better options are available (Maxxis Detonator or Conti Sport contact for example) and give a nicer felling and livelier ride.

You can use a slime tube inside them, but I've done circa 8000miles commuting and only had 2 punctures so personally wouldn't bother.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattie007
    mattie007 Posts: 98
    The Rookie wrote:
    City Jets are an OK option for not much money but for around £25 a tyre better options are available (Maxxis Detonator or Conti Sport contact for example) and give a nicer felling and livelier ride.

You can use a slime tube inside them, but I've done circa 8000miles commuting and only had 2 punctures so personally wouldn't bother.

Thanks, will take a look. What inner tube would you recommend with them?

Are these the ones? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/maxx ... d2aaf9a800

I don't understand the size though. My current tyres are 26x1.75 land cruisers.

These also look good value - https://www.merlincycles.com/continenta ... 76452.html
    '07 Giant Terrago - Gone but not forgotten....thankyou Center Parcs...... :(

'11 Giant Talon 0
  • I have a pair of Conti Sports Contacts on my Cube. Great tyre and has good puncture protection. I will definitely buy another pair.
    The only criticism I have with them, is that they are a b***h to get on and off the rim - that said, they have helped me develop 'thumbs of steel', so I can cope with it now.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That's a the detonator but that one is for a road bike (700c not 26"). The same tyre is sold by WTB as well.

I also loved my sport contacts but they are a bit worse for spray than the detonator.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.