Riding in the Dolomites

macdan
macdan Posts: 14
edited June 2017 in Tour & expedition
Heading out to Dolomites next month.

What are the best rides and passes to take on?

We are based in Corvara and planning to do the Sella Rhonda and the rest of the Maratona route over two days. We then have another day or 2 to fill.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    The Sella Ronda is an amazing ride although it's really only half a day. Some of the passes can get pretty busy, especially with buses and loads of German/Austrian motorbikes, so it pays to get out early if you can.

Remember that you'll be descending from passes that are over 2000m so it can be pretty chilly even in fine weather. You'll see Italian guys dressed in the sort of clothing we would wear for a ride in the middle of winter. They definitely like to stay warm!

The bike shop on the main street in Corvara is pretty decent if you need bike hire or any other bits. You can't miss it as they have all the hire bikes parked out in front of the shop.

Another good short ride is to head over the Campolongo and loop back via the Falzarego and descend the Valparola. The Passo Falzarego is a lovely climb and a fair bit quieter than those on the Sella Ronda. Loads of other options though - you'll no doubt want to do the Giau and Fedaia at some point too.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I spent a week out there last year. We went over the Gardena on the afternoon of the Maratona, which may not be the most challenging climb, but is worth it for the view alone. To be honest, if the weather is good, you'll be hard pushed not to find some great climbs and beautiful vistas. Below is late afternoon at the top of the Gardena. Shortly followed by an affogato in the restaurant immediately behind me when I took the photo.

The Passo Giau from the less popular Cortina side is one of my favorite climbs.

DSC_20872_zpsetcgdood.jpg
  • macdan
    Thanks for the advice, and the picture looks stunning!

Would you say the Sella Rhonda is better clockwise or anti?
  • mrb123
    macdan wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, and the picture looks stunning!

Would you say the Sella Rhonda is better clockwise or anti?

I did it anti-clockwise which I think is the way they go in the SellaRonda bike day event. Probably pros and cons either way. Doing it anti you do the Gardena first which is possibly the busiest of the passes so good to do early.

Also, there was a fair bit of welcome shade from trees on the lower part of the climb of the Pordoi - not sure you'd get that going the other way.
  • ronnierocket
    ronnierocket Posts: 172
    You should consider doing the Passo delle Erbe which is just down the road from Corvara (where we stayed). Didn't get to the top as the weather turned, it was a hard climb up until that point though.

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/passo-delle-erbe/
  • macdan
    Cheers for the tips. :D
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    macdan wrote:
    Cheers for the tips. :D

I'm here now and can echo all the comments above. Did the Sella Ronda today and it's only a sub 3 hour ride really (I was taking it steady)

I did it starting with the Campolongo first, finishing on Paedo Gardena. The Pordoi is relatively steady and never really gets above 7%.

It really is a stunning area, restaurants in Corvara are good and sensibly priced.

20170607_101450.jpg
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • mrb123
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6sfFq4_iRA

GCN video of the Pordoi descent, as you'd do it if you do the Sella Ronda anti-clockwise.