Two bikes of similar weight ones harder to ride than other

fattywilliams
fattywilliams Posts: 37
edited May 2017 in Workshop
Hi this bit of a long shot but I have two bikes

a rose cgf with ultegra di2 (52-36,11-28) with dt Swiss r23 wheels

and a plannet x carbon pro build with sram apex 10 speed (52-36,12-32) with bontranger race wheels.

The plannet x seems that you have to put in more effort to travel same speed as the rose especially when on hills even with the easier gearing. The planner x is only 600g heavier and both bike fits are exactly same have checked meticulously and they are more less spot on within 2mm. As far as I can tell drive train is running smooth although there is the slightest of ticking coming from the rear but is indexed properly so I can't work out what it is

Could it just be the extra flex maybe in the slightly cheaper quality components coupled with the slight weight penalty half of which being the wheels? Or doesn't anyone have any ideals as to what it could be

I'm only going off feel and strava times as I don't own a power meter so it hard to define how much harder it is

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I'm in a similar situation but Rose/Ribble not Rose/Planet X. I find the Rose requires less effort to get up to speed and also to keep there. I put it down to the wheels(DT Swiss R23's) and tyre combo as they are noticeably lighter than the Campags on the Ribble.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • bbrap wrote:
    I'm in a similar situation but Rose/Ribble not Rose/Planet X. I find the Rose requires less effort to get up to speed and also to keep there. I put it down to the wheels(DT Swiss R23's) and tyre combo as they are noticeably lighter than the Campags on the Ribble.

Yh I do think the wheels are defiantly a factor and also I have lighter tyres on the rose gp 4000 25mm as oppose to 28mm four seasons as the plannet x is my winter bike

I also find the rose really stiff and feels like your effort is not wasted do you find this?
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Not noticeably stiffer in the frame but the wheels do feel more taught and stable. I too have GP4000s 25mm on the Rose and heavy Vittorias on the Ribble. Pressing on the pedals the effort seems to translate to immediate acceleration, the Ribble seems to have a very slight lag but it is very slight in comparison. I'm sure its the wheels in my case.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Swap the wheels over to see if that's a factor

Maybe your position on the PX isn't as aero as the other bike ?

It might just be as simple as the difference in tyres.
  • cougie wrote:
    Swap the wheels over to see if that's a factor

Maybe your position on the PX isn't as aero as the other bike ?

It might just be as simple as the difference in tyres.

Hadn't thought about trying that would it work with 11 speed cassette on there or would I have to swap out the cassettes. The position on the bike is exactly the same so shouldn't be that
  • Probably rolling resistance. GP4s take about 50% more watts that GP4000II.

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ke-reviews